Oracle

Oracle Reviews in San Francisco, CA US

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights
733 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA (US)

ProsExecutive leadership has an excellent vision for the company. Challenging work assignments and the work is meaningful to the company's bottom line or adds value to the customer. The health care benefits are very good.

ConsLimited opportunity for career growth and training opportunities. Budgets are very tight so little opportunity to travel or attend external technical conferences. The number of paid holidays is less than the federal government or Wall Street.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to invest more in relevant job training.

Good working place.

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA (US)

ProsLeisure work style, flexible schedule.

ConsNot much to complain about.

Tough but fair

Applications Sales Representative (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA (US)

ProsFantastic environment for sales people. Company culture revolves around those who are customer facing and/or revenue generating - you will never lose a deal on price, and the bag grows each year thanks to an M&A strategy that benefits reps and customers alike. Oracle continues to make training and education a priority, and employees are encouraged (and given time) to develop hard and soft skills. Good upward career mobility potential - preference for internal hires who have demonstrated the ability to navigate and excel inside the Oracle machine. Good work/life balance....except near quarter-ends.

ConsGo-to-market structure creates internal competition that shouldn't exist and is counter productive. Very process and systems intensive - overly time consuming. The recent hiring binge has shrunk territories, making it much more difficult to achieve and exceed sales quotas, causing discontent and significant employee churn. Salary increases, even when being promoted, remain elusive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company's decision to hire top university grads to inject youth and fresh thinking was a good decision, but these millennials need to be set-up for success, and in most case they are being placed into situations where they don't feel purposeful. Equally, don't look past the experienced hires - they have been the top performers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Software Architect (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA (US)

Prostelecommute, good balance between work and family, excellent health care benefits

ConsToo many groups to interact with for your work and things move slow due to that. Salaries average.

Advice to Senior ManagementLot of duplication of effort due to multiple business units doing same things due to large number of acquisitions. Need some central team to coordinate efficient collaboration between teams

Profile Enhancing

Tax Intern (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA (US)

Prosget a better perspective of tax compliance from an industry aspect

Conssome times monotony sets in

Very challenging dynamic environment

Oracle Enterprise Architect (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA (US)

ProsComprehensive technology portfolio and talent, Network of resources to rely on in a bind, Flexible working policy, work life balance, Moderate to competive pay

ConsLarge organization - almost zero empowerment at senior management ranks. Good ideas often don't go far in terms of seeing them put in action.

Advice to Senior ManagementRewarding employees for stellar work, Change with the times that we live in with creative out of the box ways of fostering and encouraging development of innovative solutions to address the challenging problems of today and tomorrow.

One of the best organization to work for

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA (US)

Prosvery stable job, good benefits, management is very competent, plenty of chances to innovate and grow, flexible working hours, good atmosphere, friendly coworkers

Constoo many levels of approvals required to get things done, interview process is not very strict so sometime incompetent people gets in and slows everyone down

Great company benefits and lots of diverse groups to draw experience from

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA (US)

ProsGood benefits
    Excellent gym and great food
    fantastic overall work-life balance
    A great opportunity to build your networking as the coworkers are really smart people coming from various other companies in the bay area

ConsCompany is too big to easily lose sight of the end goal in your day job
    Company promotes an independent contributor work culture and less of a team sense
    Middle management can be more efficient

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue working on all the great things you do, but promote a team-focused work culture and reduce middle management

Great pay and work experience

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe pay was great, I negotiated a decent salary when I was hired. The work experience was good too. Expectations were very high and if you didn't perform well you were let go.

ConsManagement seemed to retain the 9 to 5'ers instead of the 110% people. They let the hard workers burn themselves out and then laid them off.

Great work, poor salary

Operations (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA (US)

ProsThe work is interesting, lots of projects to broaden your skillset & many very talented people to work with

ConsNo budgets for pay increases! No matter if the company has one of the best years in the history or Oracle according to Hurd, many employees have not had a pay increase for years. No budgets for salary increases. This is the norm as opposed to out of the norm. If you don't negotiate when you are hired, you're screwed. Then again, you work 24x7 & there is no monetary award in recognition of that work. Sweat shop. If that's your thing, join Oracle.

Lastly, the path is very long for slow progression in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalented employees leave, especially in Silicon Valley! You must reward them for their contributions!

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!