Oracle Reviews

5,846 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,367 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 818 reviews)

• Great work from home options; Good front-line managers who support their staff (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 111 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good coop experience

Former Employee - Test Automation Developer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Test Automation Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Oracle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty good experience with the team and well-build code there. Team are very helpful and the job is interesting and not that hard but you can learn a lot.

Cons

The salary is pretty good as an intern and overall there is nothing to say that is not good in this company.

Ideal place for a complacent middle manager

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

- the depth of solution
    - aggressive sales model

Cons

- too many people stepping on each others too
    - career development sucks and HR barely provides any feedback about career path. You need to pray that you end up with a manager who takes interest in your career development

pm issued their boat on acquired talent

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

great pay, global experience, virtual teams and remote work arrangements

Cons

Culture is very hierarchical and punitive, bordering on abusive. lots of deadwood with long tenure...lifers

do thorough talent assessments of acquired companies...you are missing out on great experience and expertise.

Working environment

Former Employee - Senior Software Manager in Markham, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Software Manager in Markham, ON

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generally is good - having rigid structure and processes

Cons

Too process heavy and rigid - going overboard. No room for brilliant ideas to excel. All decisions are made top down without listening to subordinate suggestions.

Upper and Executive management need to learn listening skill

Oracle is an excellent place to work

Current Employee - Senior Director in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility and Opportunities are boundless

Cons

Workload can be overwhelming to people who are accustomed to a steady pace.

Provide more direction

Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Great senior management and good company to work with

Cons

Some projects are not exciting

Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Oracle

Pros

Good communication among teams. Flexible hours. Ability to work from home. Junior engineers are mentored and helped with their coding style and processes by senior engineers. Casual work environment. Good benefits.

Cons

Salary increases below industry average (company rewards a few with stock options to a few people which is good but does not give proper pay increases). You are responsible for your career growth but not enough time allocated to let you do additional training. Not enough emphasis given on performance reviews which does not help career advancement.

Provide allocated time to perform training and give more help with career planning.

A truly soul-less company

Former Employee - Senior Solution Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Solution Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay
    Training in Oracle products is usually available

Cons

Upper management constantly shuffling things around - doesn't seem like they know what they're doing
    No pay raises ever - that's policy
    Everything is driven by the bottom line - no allowances made for happy emplyees
    No real chance to move around in the company due to hiring freezes and various policies

You can't put a 23 year old graduate into a sales position and expect them to succeed - you are driving away your customers where you can least afford to. It will bite you in a few years.
    You can't keep shuffling your sales folk and still profess to have your customer's best interests at heart. They're not buying it, they have 3 new account managers every year. You just don't care about them.

Great brand & company to build Tech Industry experience, especially in Sales. Salary increases don't align with tenure.

Current Employee - Sales Consulting Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Consulting Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance with Flex office implementation becoming more widespread & part of the culture.

Cons

Salary increases are non-existent & title changes in Canada are made more challenging by pay equity laws. Sales culture used to dominate however, that seems to be changing under Mark Hurd where it has become more operational. Sales at Oracle not as 'sexy' as it once was.

Reward loyal employees for their commitment & experience. Too many top performers have left Oracle & gone elsewhere. They would have stayed with progressive increases in salary. Shopping around for another opportunity takes away their focus from moving their career at Oracle forward & is demotivating.

Great life work balance, not much room for growth - you're 1 of 120,000+ employees

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance is great - as a consultant I am OT eligible
    Job is flexible - I can work from home
    Health/medical/401k benefits are great

Cons

I came from an acquisition - a smaller 400ish employee size company. I went from feeling connected to the whole company, to suddenly VERY disconnected.
    Too many processes to get something done - example, to change my address in the system I emailed HR, they had me do it online, when it didn't take I reached out again, they told me to rinse repeat...all in all way too much time wasted for such a simple task.
    Company reviews have ZERO correlation to merit increases. Yet, it was a 3 month process.
    I've been employed with the original organization for ~2 years and have not gotten any salary increases. When Oracle acquired us my salary stayed the same, but my bonus plan decreased by 5%.
    In short, as an organization, it's clear that they don't care much about the employee, just what's best for the business.
    Not much room for growth and/or career paths/development. You'd think at a large company you'd have a lot of options.

Value your employees! Give incentive to keep people around. Do what's right for the client. I've seen too many situations where we try to save a client just for the money, even if it's not the right solution for the client. This is a lose-lose. The client will eventually realize they've made the wrong decision.