Oracle

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

(2,823 ratings)

4,789 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good"
    in 597 reviews
  • "Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times"
    in 333 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth"
    in 82 reviews
  • "Employee satisfaction, career growth etc are the least important thing at Oracle"
    in 117 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Confusion

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle

ProsBig but very dynamic company. They can respond very quickly to new initiative or messaging. Agile to respond to trends in the marketplace. Leader in the marketspace. Strong people with good business acumen and related experience. Strong execution at all levels and groups.

Conscustomers are getting very confused. Aggressive acquisitions have confused customers on how they benefit. Too many sub groups at Oracle. Sometimes go to market models conflict with other internal groups. Not everyone will look at what is best for the customer. The customer is then left to interpret on their own and figure out what solution is best for them.

Advice to Senior Managementwork together with other Mgmnt solution areas.

Clients will adopt your software and shareholders will keep their stock for decades, plan to keep your employees too.

Senior Principal Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle

ProsProject opportunities, training, salary and benefits

ConsClients expect a lot from you

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much short term profit oriented these days, neglecting human resource long term training, aspirations and potentially satisfaction.

There are better companies to work for.

Senior Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Oracle

ProsYou can learn and get experience on Oracle technology and the new an upcoming technologies. You can get access to training and internal help with technical issues.

ConsNot a place to be if you are looking for job satisfaction and advancement in your career. Employee morale is very low. Most employees have been getting very limited salary increases and very few employees have been promoted in the last 5-7 years. There are very limited employee benefits (e.g. the Christmas party, golf tournament, childrens Christmas party, stock purchase plan, bonuses etc. were cut or reduced during the tech meltdown in 2001/2002, and none of these benefits have returned.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo an independent employee survey to find out how unhappy most employees are.

Great for the Resume Building ... That's about it!

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Oracle

Pros- Experience and looks great on a resume.

Cons- Compensation plan linked to Field performance. If you're stuck with an incompetent Field Rep, you're screwed and will not hit your OTE. Comp plan is also tiered and if you grow your deals past the first threshold, you get paid peanuts.
- No Career development. Dial for dollars like a trained monkey.
- High Turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementYou keep asking - Why are people discouraged and there is a high turnover rate within Oracle Direct? Here's the answer:

You keep quoting "Good to Great" principles and promote getting paid the big bucks when we close the big deals to motivate us, yet you never apply any of the things you promise! You expect us to COMMIT and bring in our numbers or we get disciplined ... Yet when you commit to everything you say and don't follow through with it or take YEARS to do it ... What do you expect from your workforce other than rightfully getting discouraged.

A good place to start in sales, not a good place to stay.

I have been working at Oracle

Prosoracle is a big name within the software industry and is highly regarded as a tough place to sell. i am sure that my experiences here will translate well when it comes time to move on. there are opportunities to move around within the company.

Conscareer progression opportunities are limited. to move from inside sales to outside sales is quite a coup, and rarely happens.
management could be better, not a lot of support and timely communication about org. changes which happen very frequently. salary raises are extremely hard to come by

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees with more respect. understand that this is just a job to many of us, and for it to be more than that would require a lot more responsibility and $

Oracle full of potential but employee contribution would increase if treated as partners instead of employees for hire.

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle

Prosgood opportunities for professional work and interesting work

Conshigh stress environment, lack of resources, low compensation compared to industry standards, lack of communication of key issues from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better, especially about compensation issues (2007 was a good example of what not to do, especially for the development organization).

Poor Work Environment at Oracle

Business Development Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle

ProsBig name on resume. Good connections

ConsPolitics and micromanagement. Poor compensation package.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange incentive plans and have 360 reviews/feedback. Take action based on these reviews.

Like being a cog in a great big machine

Documentation Manager (Current Employee)
Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits and salary. Oracle is a stable company, and offers a great environment for people who can mold themselves to work within the fairly rigid confines of how they do business.

ConsSalary adjustments and promotions are extremely rare for most people. Performance appraisals use forced rankings. Management says they want innovation, but rarely provide the means for anyone to pursue it.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider adopting 21st Century ideas about performance appraisal and talent management.

Insane perks for college hires, second highest pay

I have been working at Oracle

ProsGreat perks. Eg trip to Reno and San Diego, cruises etc. Amazing work life balance and great food.

ConsTechnologies are a bit cumbersome if you land a legacy team. Look to join a small team with a new product

Advice to Senior ManagementAnnual bonus should be more transparent

Great Company!

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery comfortable environment in world class company, the brand is known by every customer. You can jump from role to role, the only constant it's the change.
There is lot of deeply knowledge that the groups share and when you used to look for it, it's an advantage for you.

ConsThe Salary and compensation is not the best and there is not annual increment in salary.
Because it too large sometimes it is difficult that every line of business work as only one company.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. All 4,789 reviews are posted anonymously by Oracle employees.