Opera Solutions

Updated 6 August, 2014

2.7

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann
Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great vision, subpar execution

Pros

Although most of them already gone or on their way out, there are some real talents in science and R&D. The company survives on hard work from folks in Shanghai and Dehli. Great people on the business side as well, but mostly at below manager level.

Cons

Though packaged as a technology/solution company, Opera is still mostly run as an old school consulting firm, i.e. sales eat what they kill, fight for resources, and lots of internal politics. The incentive and organizational structure aren't set up for focused execution.

Former CEO never showed a clear conviction to build a great long-term company. Always shooting for a good next few quarters, and we are all gonna be rich! With this kind of mentality, things like developing your people and building a company culture naturally take a back seat to making a quick buck. Real successful companies rarely talk about IPO before actual IPO!

There is a clear disconnection and distrust between analytics and business. With most of the good EMs and above already gone, those that are left are mostly overpaid talking heads who have zero understanding of analytics or technology.

1) Stop employee exodus in China and India.
    2) Between your people and investors, need to have the guts to pick your people.
    3) Clean up the mid-level management. Hire business people who understand technology.
    4) Clarify focus and stay with it.

NASCAR to Formula One in 9-12 months

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ (US)

Pros

Just like Gene Haas is doing by getting the U.S. into F1 from NASCAR....Bernhard, and team, will be leading us through the transition from a very successful consulting organization...to a successful analytics software company.

We have been racing F1 with a NASCAR team and that doesn't work....and there are some that will prefer to stay with the oval track....nothing wrong with that....but there are many of us that like the roar of a nicely tuned F1 engine....so we are very encouraged !

Communication is improving and things are changing....and we still have and attract the best talent....

Cons

This transition isn't easy or quick....the corporate culture , processes etc need to change....but we have the right team in place to make this happen. ....

Keep the lines of communication alive....

Still in a growth market, but with too many choices

Pros

Company is making changes to focus more resources on the biggest opportunities and reduce the number of custom projects. This won't please everyone, but it's the right thing to do. We have an opportunity to scale a few proven offers, but need to eliminate distractions. There are growth opportunities for people willing to try new things.

Cons

Renewed focus is progressing, but can be accelerated. With so much potential it's hard to say 'no' sometimes. In a leading-edge market people must be willing to try new things and adapt to change.

Properly resource a few key opportunities. Bigger bets on fewer things. Steady success in a few areas will create personal growth for everyone and eliminate any confusion.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good experience with the company

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

Pros

You will enjoy this company for finding great colleagues and nice working environment. flexi work policies are blessing. Company is stuck due to poor planning, you will be working way too much (non stop for months day and night) & there would be long spells of no work. you could get mix of work, surreal as it is not known what you might be asked to do. no new projects, one has to take whatever comes in

Cons

company has lot of talent, however management is insensitive has miserably disappointed employees. they are not able to justify for the poor state of the company. with recent change in management, employees are expecting a better health of the company

Getting better!

Pros

New upper management. Seems like they’re starting to listen to their staff and making real changes, starting at the top. New CEO seems to be focused on communication and transparency with weekly emails, which is greatly needed. I’m encouraged by his approach to take stock of the company and fill us in on his findings as he goes. I have high hopes for him and believe he’ll be able to effect real change.

Cons

Many processes are still too slow. Middle and upper management needs to provide more timely feedback and communication for staff.

Try to remember your people are your greatest asset. “Thank you” and honest communication about next steps regarding promotions, projects, and reassignments go a long way. Even if you don’t have the answers we want, letting us know where you are in the process is a step in the right direction.

Advice to fellow employees: This company hires a lot of people fresh out of school, which means they’re young millennials with high (unrealistic) expectations and little perspective. While things at Opera have not been perfect, they could be so much worse. We’ve gone through a huge transition — or three — but I’ll take that over a “this is the way it’s always been done” mentality any day.

Bad Management and horrible execution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Pros

Lot of talented people in Analytics and Big Data space.

Cons

Work force leaving due to no new projects (no work) and forcing analytics team to use bogus home grown tool call VEKTOR. Horrible management and worst delivery

Please have steady and realistic vision..

Opera Solutions Response

Apr 18, 2014Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We want you to know that we take these reviews seriously and are paying attention to company morale. We have taken the suggestions posted here to heart and are evaluating ... More

“Great experience,great growth propsects”

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Noida (India)

Pros

Pros – Open culture,Fun atmosphere, super smart minds, loads to learn,Flexible working hours for every one.
     Great workplace, Great Culture and a place to be in !!!

Cons

Not as much impact at an individual level as one would like

Introspect

Not Great

Pros

Opportunity to work on good, innovative problems

Cons

Learning is mostly driven via you, India Management is biased and unfair

I had high hopes

Pros

A lot of talented people work/ have worked for the company. The work environment is great and the people I work with are awesome.

Cons

Where do I start. Staff turnover is high which is to be expected in this industry however management are doing nothing to retain the talent that they have. Moral is low and it appears nobody really knows where they stand. Management and policies have changed so much that I not sure if the company will survive.

Lead by example and appreciate your staff.

Great People. Terrible Company & Management.

Former Employee - Senior Associate  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ (US)

Pros

The people you will work with (especially at Manager and below levels) are wonderful, creative & very smart.
    You can (on occasion) get exposed to interesting problems at blue-chip clients and because there's very little organization there's an opportunity to step up
    New CEO (Bernhard Namm) is an excellent human being. Honest, smart, clear in his ideas and very cognizant of the multitude of problems the company has. I wish him the best but worry that he has inherited a poisoned chalice

Cons

In one word: Arnab Gupta (owner and previous CEO)
    By most accounts he's interested in 'big ideas' and his own bottom line but does not have the temperament or will to build a real organization that supports its employees and focuses only on those problems for which we are best suited
    Management has been a mess, part of it is that they are way out of their depth and that their positions have been earned through loyalty rather than merit

Empower Bernhard, he's the right leader with the right ideas. Become very focused in what we do and pay a lot more attention to internal talent management before everybody in the US office leaves.

Opera Solutions Response

Apr 28, 2014Manager

Thank you for your review. We agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment on Bernhard and are excited about the new clarity he is bringing and will continue to bring to the organization. But your ... More

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!