Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated 29 August, 2014

2.7

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann
Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Lost in Translation

Former Employee - IT Operations Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Operations Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay
    Good opportunity to learn

Cons

Bad Management
    No Direction
    No one speaks English enough to understand
    Not hiring the best people - Interviewers who are not qualified

Hire another company to perform interviews. Hire more US citizens. Work on finding a direction and business objectives

Working towards a brighter future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Small teams for each project with easy to mingle people
    - Good work environment
    - Vast exposure
    - Flexible timings

Cons

- Management needs to pay more attention to employee retention plans

A ride unlike any other

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Very smart and driven colleagues.

Extremely interesting problems.

Great access to top executives at leading firms.

Flat org structure and good development opportunities (but sink or swim).

Never a dull moment.

Cons

Very unpredictable - not for the faint of heart.

Company direction is still fluid but getting much better over last 3 months. Slowly moving away from historic issues driven by never seeing a problem we couldn't solve.

Still some lingering complainers left who should just leave the firm instead of spending their time taking shots at a company that they're still a part of. Things change. Challenges happen. Get over it or quit.

Keep doing what you're doing. The last 2 quarters have put us on a path of open communication and steadily increasing revenue growth that will help us build an amazing company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Doing what it takes to succeed

Current Employee - Director  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Developing and validating a entirely new technology platform being adopted by some of the largest corporations in the world. A true game changer. Increasingly proven.
    2. Passionate leadership who believe in what they do and responding and adapting to challenges.
    3. Moving to giving our young associates a chance to take leadership much faster than we could get elsewhere
    4. New CEO has put in a structure with much greater accountability and focus which will payoff.
    5. Truly global company with significant opportunities to see the world.
    6. Business problems at the cutting edge. Unique.

Cons

1.truly traumatic transition from a service company to a technology led company. Resulted in dislocation and loss of identity and affiliation for many of us.
    2. Processes such as incentives and staffing in disarray which made life unpleasant and difficult. Being fixed and getting better.
    3. High attrition particularly in the service group as the new direction did not fit. A double edged sword as costs declined and gave us more junior people more opportunities.

So many vitriolic complaints from current and ex employees. Nobody is forcing you to stay. Many of us like the challenges and the direction. Building something new is always difficult. If you don't like it just quit. You will be doing all of us a favor. I don't believe any company can give you as intense, compressed and high quality experience as this company can.
    Keep focused and stay the course. The best revenge is success. Many big deals being closed. The momentum seems to be gaining force.

Blood suckers

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

No pros in the company

Cons

The top management is full of con artists.

Opportunity to interact with others cultures.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has been an opportunity for me growth in the professional area. Colleagues are very nice, fun, smart, easy to get along with so many different cultures.

Cons

Management has been shaddy this past three year and not clear what they wanted. Poor management levels as well and G&A not pay well accordingly to today's living cost.

recognize your employees effort to work and clearly project trust and wisdom as of where you want to take the company in the future.

Company going through the transition phase

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours, smart colleagues, start-up friendly culture

Cons

flat learning curve in consulting stream, no one gets onshore opportunities in first year, low employee morale currently

Campus pass-outs join the firm hoping that it'll be a great learning opportunity for them. In absence of learning opportunities, attrition is bound to happen. Management should push policies that ensure steep learning curve for freshers.

Incompetent management

Former Employee - Analytics Manager  in  Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Analytics Manager in Noida (India)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everything except senior management who repeatedly failed to provide leadership and guidance to an exceptionally talented bunch of employees

Cons

I was an India employee and I have experienced that the leader in India and few of his cronies have reduced the India operation into a nonsense. They simply don't know (and want to either) how the analytics industry works and hence couldn't leverage the India operation full of bright people. They fired all the lateral hires because they were perceived as a threat and the leader in particular is very scared about his own prospects as the laterals outwitted him on many occasions. Now the situation is so bad that Opera is begging for Wipro's business - whereas Wipro wanted to leverage Opera as its analytics powerhouse! I think some good leaders can be hired for India and the situation can be salvaged. Damage control cannot be done by commenting on glass door posts - that too by junior HR trainees proxying as "management"

Have the courage to hire laterally and challenge yourselves, shed you arrogance and submit to the fact that it needs a different type of skill sets to run an aspiring analytics shop. Not everything can be achieved by PowerPoint decks.

" Lack of good quality projects in certain business verticals.."

Former Employee - Solutions Analyst  in  Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida (India)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Informal work culture; very approachable and friendly seniors/colleagues
    - Work life balance
    - decent amount of top-down transparency
    - Leadership change in recent times which can bring the firm out of muddy waters

Cons

- Inability to convert big projects
     - Certain BUs find diminishing share in the overall business leading to low employee morale
     - Not so state-of-the-art training facilities

1. Focus on providing good quality and productive work and professional exposure to the employees especially the fresher ones.
    2. Streamline on business verticals and pitch for good projects in order to bring certainty and focus back in the firm.
    Having said this, with the new leadership team in place the firm looks set for a better future ahead.

Opera is trying to stay afloat but way too many holes - not looking good

Current Employee - Vice President  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some interesting projects, nice views from the office, currently there is probably a good opportunity for advancement given the mass exodus (very, very, very high attrition recently)

Cons

There aren't very many good people left, the vast majority of the employee base (~90%) has been at Opera for < 2 years, no culture, shady moves by mgmt, inability to staff projects sufficiently given the high attrition = very high risk of not being able to deliver current engagements and recently sold engagements (clients beware), very bad benefits

Find a new job - everyone else is looking, so should you (you probably already are)

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!