Opera Solutions Reviews

174 reviews filtered by
2.8
Opera Solutions Chairman & CEO Arnab Gupta
Arnab Gupta

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, being able to work from home for a very long time (in unit of month), free snacks and beverage, Friday catering lunches (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

1. Data Scientist

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

flexible work time; good benifit

Cons

work life balance; over time working

Rise & Fall of Opera : 2010 2-2015 started small with great momentum flourished in 2013 . Then everything is down fall.

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Flexibility is the only thing.

Cons

Management is the screw up.
     Owner was less informed about reality.

Advice to Management

Don't fire good CEO's who had brought some lift to souls after so many years . Favourism is something that can lead to bad things as history indicates

Consultant

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Good salary and perks. Best of talented colleagues. Lots of opportunity to learn. Excellent step in my career that provides me with a lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

Expect a lot of travel.

Advice to Management

Make the review process simple. Continue to focus on professional development opportunities for employees. Keep focused on financial growth, kudos to management for letting go of CEO who was not bringing in any revenue or clients.

5. Lots of free time but lots of autonomy

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Good peer group, eventual opportunities to go abroad

Cons

Meandering pace of work, projects are too long

Join only if no other company hires you anywhere else

Current Employee - Research and Data Analyst in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Research and Data Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1.) The best reason to join this company is only if you do not have any other opportunities .
    2.) Another best thing is if you are looking for free friday food

Cons

Can give a whole list of cons which would exceeds 100 times the cons

1.) Worst management ever
    2.) The number of people leaving the company is exponential.
    3.) Work is not organized.
    4.) They would hire bunch of IITians from india and after 4 years they will become managers who would not know how to code. So they have no idea how much effort it would take to complete a task. They keep pushing you till you broke down.
    5.) If you join as a junior they will literally give you manual labor tasks. You will not learn a single thing and would end up in this company for a long time doing the excel work.
    6.) Teams are located across the globe . so you will end up working 24*7 . Work distribution is the worst.

7.) work life balance is the worst among 3 companies i worked ,

Advice to Management

Please try to make sure people are satisfied with what they are doing. No one will be able their mouth if you want to talk face to face. So one-one meeting is not the way to know employees difficulties .

Fast Learning Curve, Exposure to work on Big Data - Cool Company

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High Paying Job in comparison to other firms in Advanced Analytics / Big Data Space

- Flexible Work Hours - as expected when I joined Opera, I noticed that extreme care is taken to deliver exemplary work but what surprised me is that Managers here are highly flexible and sensitive to your personal time / work hours. Managers you work with are just like you - smart, Knowledgeable, witty and extremely helpful

- Focus on attracting and nurturing right talent - as a school champion, I have seen the rigor which goes into candidate interviews, and attracting right talent / mindset - an important reason which I think will keep this company ahead of market for years to come. Another interesting aspect I noticed is that mentors here keep an eye on your goals (it comes without saying that you are responsible for your on Growth, but if you have questions about what to pick, which areas to explore, there will be senior managers to guide you).

- Exposure to advanced data analytics solutions - the Big Data Platform - Signal Hub - is very powerful and unique. Also, it forms the core of company investment and rightly so, as more this platform matures, better it is for the industry and delivery teams.

- As a Company DNA, Opera only attracts smart and bright candidates, so high-quality deliverable is never an issue.

- Exposure to work with Market Leaders across Industries - the accounts are pretty big and are market leaders. It feels comforting when you notice that you are the science behind lot of campaigns ongoing in the market - it is like "INTEL INSIDE" :)

Cons

- As widely discussed, this company has made a transition from Consulting to Big Data firm, and it has both pros and cons - pros being that there is emphasis on Problem Solving, Discussions and Ideas. The Con is that sometimes it does not feel right to invest time in problem solving every minor detail. It is too much of intellectual concentration - which sometimes seem to be distracted by focus on over-solving EVERY problem.

Advice to Management

1) Focus on sales and expand work with other large companies (I am sure this might be already being done, but thought I should outline).
    2) Start Certification Programs with External Vendors - SAS, R etc.

Time to wrap up

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Management Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Management Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Three CEO in three Years, three business plans in three years. Management is most confused consulting or product development ? Sr. Data scientist or junior developer. They still have free Boos and ping pong table :).

Cons

Telent is leaving faster then snow comming down in Boson. nothing left on floor all empty. Please do not read other reviews which are total bogus. No one cares what you doing ? Hiring and firing on month to month bases. Less revenue then fire, new project then hire... Keep it simle is their motto. Pardon me for being point blank.

Advice to Management

NONE. Pack up your bags and enjoy summer, Since you are not paying any vacation pay or severence, enjoy all the saved money. Karma will catch up to you soon,

Exciting 3 Years in terms of Learning and Meeting Talent in Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Multiple challenging and exciting ongoing engagements to drive your career trajectory - interestingly if you have right mindset and neck to learn, you will have ton of choices to drive your career path.
    2) Learning curve is really steep here as you have a choice to pick from science, analytics and consulting work ... I switched my core focus from Consulting to Analytics and Scientists in the company were really helpful, especially the Chief Scientist and she supported my choice. Thankfully, I have performed to Management's expectation and I got steep learning in return (which is priceless in my opinion).
    3) Talented Peer Group - It is amazing to notice diverse and talented peer group here - answer to any complex industry problem reside around you (it sounds an overstatement but it is true). Lot of codification is done in terms of signals/ insights - having said that, you can't codify Human Brain - and one of the best Pro in Opera is an extremely Talented Resource pool

Cons

1) Inflow of large projects have not been consistent, and it opens up bandwidth in the workforce. More multiple years deal need to be signed to ensure that resources remain engaged. Couple of my friends were poached by a competitor firm, which I found annoying especially since exposure here in Opera is way more than any other company could offer.
    2) Flow of resources between Consulting And Analytics should be streamlined - I was lucky but there might be other resources who might be good and might be thinking about making move to Analytics - it should be formalized.

Advice to Management

We should invest more time on hiring and retaining scientists. Another suggestion is that we should focus on identifying resources who are smart and might be tuned to be great in Analytics - can those be trained through proper training programs?

I like this company right now.

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

• Small company atmosphere, where you can dive in and help without hitting barriers that you’ll meet in more established companies. At the same time the company has well-established infrastructure in IT and support so you can get your work done. You don’t have to wear all the hats, but can (and probably will) work on various projects so you can both learn and contribute.
    • Established solutions to build on, you don’t have to start from scratch.
    • Competitive health benefits and excellent compensation.
    • And of course opportunities. This company is growing and it’s in a very hot space with data and analytics. Opera has many solutions running at fortune 500 companies and there’s more than enough work to drive the growth.
    • Through the ups and downs, successes and failures, the Signal Hub vision has not only survived, but matured into a core part of the many solutions being delivered. This is cool emerging technology that has huge potential for growth.

Cons

• An effective layer of management between the highest executives and the project-focused workers is still under construction. It’ll get there, but at this time if you need a manager to run to, your probably not going to fit in.
    • Workforce is global, literally. Communications and managing work across so many time zones is challenging.

Advice to Management

In addition to all the stuff you are already doing, strive to find/build that functional layer between you and "everyone else" through with you can effectively and regularly communicate.

Strong momentum, collaborative work culture, great people

Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

High Growth Market Space - Big Data:. After observing Opera’s work closely in big data analytics projects in marketing domain, the phrase has finally come to mean more than a buzzword to me.
    Positive Client Feedback: Opera has clearly defined its focus on Signal Hub - it is encouraging to see extremely positive feedback from clients for the firm’s analytics capabilities and IP.
    Great People: Opera has amazing talent - there are a lot of positive vibes and energy around teams working on ongoing projects. With many new deals kicking in and momentum picking up again, it is an exciting time to be a part of the firm!
    Approachable Senior Leadership: While working on a strategic initiative, I was pleasantly surprised by how approachable senior leadership at the head office is!

Cons

Lack of awareness about Opera’s core offering - Signal Hub - at India Office. Optimism needs to percolate to India office.
    Under-utilization of resources from India office on analytics projects
    Work culture at India office can become better- existing flexibility in working hours should be maintained, senior leadership at India office needs to be more approachable
    Too much effort going into a few ongoing non/marginally profitable projects

Advice to Management

Build on the ongoing momentum and target a steep growth trajectory
    Share your views, optimism and expectations company-wide - especially with India office. Frequency and medium are very important.
    Chalk out and implement a comprehensive talent management program to check attrition