Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Not a strict 9 to 5 office structure; work from home encouraged"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Seemingly global company working in Big Data does not seem to be able to grasp how to coordinate multinational projects or confcalls"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Well that was disappointing

Senior Analytics Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsLearned from the many mistakes managers and execs made. Made some good connections that helped me escape.

ConsManagement would lie to keep scientists around.
Managers known to encourage same day departure when you give your two weeks to save the company a buck.
Owing to clueless managers, the loudest apes would get their way.

Advice to Senior ManagementLost cause. They have no passion.

Was a great company, but is falling down quickly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart and friendly employees, good place to learn.

ConsManagement is a disaster, the top leaders do not care what the scientists are thinking, they use lies to keep employees, no communications from the leadership to bottom employees, rumors are everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the COO should be the person to be fired first. It was her who leaked the rumor that the company was running out of cash by the end of March 2013. It created panic among employees and people started looking for an exit more actively. Ironically, this lady later was promoted to be the co-COO and started laying off people.

If you're looking for a company with substance, opportunities and work-life balance, look elsewhere

Engagement Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat to get your feet wet; great camaraderie among junior consultants.

ConsLow set of values among top leadership, expect to be treated accordingly. Limited true expertise among the topics on which Opera declares itself as thought leader (big-data / sourcing), which often results in limited value to the client.

Opera Solutions

I have been working at Opera Solutions

ProsGrowth opportunities are scarce. Perfect place for a short term employment.

ConsWorking with Opera includes dealing with low and immature management.

Despite the long hours and big work load, the company treats you very well.

Jersey City, NJ (US)

ProsFairly flexible schedule
4 weeks vacation
Lunch provided on Friday
Opportunity to learn new skills
Friendly staff

ConsIt feels like the company has lost its direction and is losing a lot of employees. We just got a lot of money from investors but it seems to be going quick on helping us find our way again.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with each other so we can all head in the same direction. Let the employees know what's going on within the company. Find out why we are losing so many employees lately. It's bad for morale.

Don't make any promises that you can't keep

Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Flexible timings

Can't think of any other

Cons- Too many lies at every stage, specially by the HR
- Different rules and treatment to different teams
- NO stability
- Highly disorganized management team
- Management and seniors do not have a habit of even reading their official emails
- Group of highly dissatisfied employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look, where the company is going!!

Great potential, but falls short

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsFantastic, smart, and driven junior people and mid-level managers. Pleasure to work with. Flexible work arrangements (face-time not important).

ConsManagement is completely out of touch with reality. Does not care about its employees, resulting in high attrition rate. Need to work with India and China offices on a daily basis and juggle different time zones.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore effort into making employees happy and improving retention by cycling people out of long-term projects.

Not found as expected

Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only best part here are the people Really smart and talented graduates.

Cons-One cannot make any futuristic plan here. There are fears on Company being sold, no bonus( a truth though) etc.
-The top management is extremely good in delivering long speech, but dont know how to execute any plan
- No vision for future
-The good old days of travel, office parties and good work are long gone

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to know how juniors are doing, and help them in building their career

Mixed Experience, Failing Company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat career building experience in a very hot market (Predictive Analytics). The scientists/modelers are profoundly collaborative people who are have great faith in software (not necessarily software engineers). Flexible career options. Friday lunches, happy-hour, high-tea. Good community of people who are sincerely trying to succeed.

ConsLack of IT and computing infrastructure conforming to industry standards is holding both analytics and software divisions. Dev-Ops team, which was functional, just disappeared entirely. Company has been steadily losing employees (about 1-3 a week) and laid-off all hiring staff in US. Factions between and within various offices deadlock any meaningful software development, in turn causing significant cash-burn without any enabling revenue. Competing in over-saturated markets because of several employee's and manager's history with Fair-Isaac

Opera Getting Its Act Together

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsBrilliant people to work with. Very cool projects. Much better communication. Deals starting to take shape at Opera. No doubt prior management had issues but now things seem to starting to take hold. Good to see new outside talent coming in. Recent deal closures and new outside relationships are real and with some of largest companies on the planet.

ConsStill has work to do in getting company and messaging aligned. Some leaders still need help. Stop chasing tails.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused. Keep on the path and stick to the current organization that has been put in place. Review compensation program for everyone.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Opera Solutions – Why Work for Us?

Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to Big Data flows to extract predictive patterns. Our goal is not only to make machines smarter but also (and more important) to use machines’ output to dramatically improve… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opera Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann. All 128 reviews are posted anonymously by Opera Solutions employees.