Openet

Be The First To
Add Photos

Openet CEO Niall Norton

Niall Norton

Seems to be moving in the wrong direction

Various (Former Employee)

I worked at Openet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI learned a lot working at Openet and worked with some very sharp people. The benefits were pretty good, and at first the atmosphere was great.

Work-life balance was hit-or-miss. There were times when it was pretty good, but also a lot of get-it-done-yesterday fire drills. Not unusual for a small technology company with huge telecom clients, I think.

Overall my experience was positive, but I wouldn't go back there now.

ConsOpenet seems to be losing its touch. It grew very rapidly for a few years, but over the last year or so seems to be shrinking just as rapidly. Openet has some very compelling products, but doesn't seem to be able to focus on really polishing them and moving them forward.

The company seemed quite management-heavy toward the end of my time there.

Not what it once was

I have been working at Openet full-time

ProsGreat people, good customer base, interesting work, good teamwork, very strong technically

ConsLeadership team is dysfunctional, the strategy is ever changing and gets more bizarre by the day, a team change is long overdue

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to move on for most of you

Decent enough company

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Openet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunity to develop career and learn. Don't have to work long hours that often. You can move between different projects, learning different technologies. Hard work is recognised if you have the right manager.

ConsLeadership seems unclear what direction the company should go in. Management seems to lurch from one crises to the next, dragging developers on to projects to meet impending deadlines. Managers don't plan medium to long term. Features are added without much thought of how they affect the overall product. Good technical staff are leaving and not being replaced or being replaced with entry level engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan better for the long term.

Good heart, dreams of being something else

I have been working at Openet

ProsVery strong technology, very engaged and smart employees. Interesting area to work.

ConsGrew by riding a wave of investment in flagship product. The wave is receding, and the company is unsure what to do with itself. Constant half-baked dabbling in various strategic directions, which are followed with urgency until the next idea comes along. Very political with lots of behind-the-scenes maneuvering, a situation encouraged by top leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline and simplify the company direction. Discourage politics.

Decent pay, politics and no growth opportunity

I have been working at Openet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros* Get to travel to Dublin
* Decent salary, but average overall package
* The company still retains a number of a high caliber engineers and architects

Cons* Every trip needs to be approved by several managers, all the way to CEO
* Employees are not trusted to make even simple decisions, delegation is an alien term
* Talent is leaving
* Innovation is focused primarily on cost savings
* Known to raid employee benefiits
* Everything you read in the recent reviews is, sadly, true

Politics galore, scramble strategy, no leadership

Partners (Former Employee)
Reston, VA (US)

I worked at Openet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYears ago Charging/Policy were a white hot space and Openet had the leading product. When it was smaller, everyone was a team going for the growth and it was cooperative and innovative and interesting.

ConsPolitics abound. Some very hard working people go unrecognized. And some very undeserving people continue to keep their jobs at the expense of others. There's not a real strategy other than sales, so everything is a scramble and last minute deadline. And the market has moved on with acquisitions by BroadHop, Bridgewater, and Volubill. I don't know if they have an exit left. Despite their statements that they love partners, professional services undermines the partners by taking their hours. There is no strategic relationships to leverage - bridges have been burned too many times. Also there's no equity for anyone...that was years ago. It's just a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some new ideas and new people on the team. Embrace your partners who work so hard for you.

Management lacks any sense of direction

Technical Manager (Former Employee)
Reston, VA (US)

I worked at Openet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFor junior team members, you will have plenty of work and opportunity to advance.

ConsManagement changes directions with every new revelation or management book they read. Management is not held accountable for their failures, they just get shifted around the company so that they can continue their mistakes. Sales department are desperate to make their numbers, so projects are not sold with enough profit margin to allow the Services teams to deploy the projects correctly, thus projects are often understaffed or have too many junior members who are out of their depth on a project. Engineering department exist in a vacuum from the customers and also from the Services teams, so they often deploy features that are not needed or deploy good features late or untested. Deadlines are often very short, requiring Services teams to work overtime. Employee bonuses have not been paid in past 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold management responsible to meet their goals and if they do not, take action to show the company that they are being held responsible. Withholding bonuses from the workers is not holding management responsible, it only helps management keep the shareholders happy.

Floundering

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Openet

ProsGood technical people, flexible products, caring and compassionate mid-level management, exciting field for development (smart-phone support), a large number of engineers with multi-year experience, opportunities for travel to Ireland

Conssweat-shop environment, lack of collaboration between corporate divisions, large number of executives with long-term tenure who do not seem accountable for decisions, lack of loyalty of executives toward workers, impossible revenue targets preventing bonus payouts, duplicity and behind-the-scenes manipulation, an accelerating drain of technical talent, extremely short-cited decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house of dead-wood in upper levels; start rewarding workers before you lose yet more good people; recognize the talent you have and cast it off only after careful deliberation; develop a realistic plan for corporate future direction that will offset the short-term decision-making that is sabotaging your future; land some sales to new customers;

Software Design Engineer

Software Design Engineer (Former Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Openet full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment, great team, overall nice place to work at.

ConsVery limited market tends to narrow down your knowledge. Uses a proprietary development language instead of popular languages such as Java, Python, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes the full potential of the employees are not being used. Give them more opportunities to demonstrate value!

Continually trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Openet full-time for more than 8 years

Pros* Could be a world class player if they get it right.
* Leading edge technology. No, actually!
* Good HR when it comes to personal issues / life events
* Get global experience with brand name customers

Cons* Company suffers from ADHD - Continually stating new projects and then stealing their resources
* Company level HR poor. Performance and salary review process time consuming, always changing and rarely leads to raises.
* Culture of group think in parts of company. There' a large cohort of people who did same course at same time in college. Boy does it show...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop allowing everyone to start new projects. Stop tolerating politicians.

Worked for Openet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Openet reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Openet CEO Niall Norton. All 20 reviews are posted anonymously by Openet employees.