OpenDNS

OpenDNS Reviews

Updated Jun 07, 2014

OpenDNS Founder & CEO David Ulevitch

David Ulevitch

Fast-paced, mature startup growing fast and having fun

Product Manager (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsThe people who work at OpenDNS are great. The work environment is positive and healthy - working remotely is encouraged when applicable to maintain a good work-life balance. Lots of opportunities for smart, motivated people. A fantastic place to work in general.

ConsVery few; sometimes take too long to get rid of bad people. Could communicate strategy better across the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows keep standards high in terms of the people being hired. Push them and reward them.

Amazing place to work, learn, and grow!

Senior Developer (Current Employee)

ProsFast-growing company backed by the best VCs filled with smart people in all parts of the company. Your great ideas will blossom and your best efforts will be recognized. Transparency from top to bottom. Your contribution will have a direct impact on the core products.

A visionary and intelligent CEO, David, built a great circle of leaders to surround him and company's direction and growth mirrors that.

Free lunch M/W/F.

ConsExtreme fast-growth resulted in recruitments lagging behind in many areas of departments. More managers, more smart engineers and developers are highly in need.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing it right! Keep up the good work.

Please hire more smart(er) people and don't settle for "good-enough"...

Company with the potential to be truly great

ProsGood benefits, all the standard silicon valley tech company perks, annual trip to Tahoe, highly transparent/regular communication company-wide, good training for a company of its size, positive and friendly culture.

ConsWorks is not evenly distributed. Some departments need to put in much more time in the office to reach their goals relative to other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of the broader impact of having unequal standards across departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm glad I found this place! Great work / Life balance

Account Executive (Current Employee)

Pros-Relaxed culture. No boiler room politics here.
    -Experienced management
    -Cool product that is evolving to the next level very soon
    -Comp is good
    -Good perks ( free food every other day, yoga, beer fridge, great office staff that plans cool events.) You can tell they really care about keeping the culture warm and welcoming.
    -Great people! Colleagues are welcoming and fun. Upper management is open and approachable. CEO is SOLID.

Ideally, this is a great place for anyone who wants to make a difference in a rapidly growing and profitable organization.

Cons- Still some growing pains with sales operations. However, you can see they are actively working on it. Every week we have town hall meetings to get updates on progress and discuss improvements.

Advice to Senior Management-Keep the culture as it is and the talent will come.
    -BE AWESOME-ER!

OpenDNS Rocks!

ProsOpenDNS treats their employees very well. OpenDNS offers a ton of great perks, career development, growth from within and personal development. They offer a toastmasters membership to better your public speaking skills, planned volunteer events and other development opportunities.

ConsI don't have any cons.

Could be a really cool place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThis company is full of the usual perks: free food a few times per week, surprise treats delivered every so often and monthly happy hour gatherings. If you're straight out of college looking for a fun full time gig, than I'm going to say the roles and pay may work well for you.

ConsThis is a startup that has people that have worked up the ranks to get to their position. No experience, not really qualified, just calling the shots on small picture type stuff. At 100 plus people this was quite scary for me. Everyone looks at the upcoming launch projects and not enough at the problems that need to be fixed before the upcoming products are released. There just wasn't enough structure, processes, leadership strength or opportunities in place for me to be happy working for this company.

One of the best places to work in San Francisco

SDR (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsWe have great perks overall including awesome food. You are working with highly talented people. Small enough to meet and get a chance to pick the brains of colleagues. Open communication and tools to facilitate that communication. Numerous events for being social, skill development, and personal release. Overall a great environment to for career and personal growth.

ConsNo real challenges. I wish we were served lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but this may be a possibility in the future as we grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a great job.

Fun Environment, Challenging Work, Countless Opportunities

Account Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsComing into work provides new challenges and new opportunities everyday. The sense of community allows you to celebrate your wins and learn from your losses. Everyone works together to achieve a common goal. Not to mention the office space is super awesome with comfortable couches and communal work areas. A fridge stocked with awesome food, snacks and drinks doesn't hurt either!

ConsThe kitchen has too much good food.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore fitness groups and classes to encourage people to get up away from their desks and get moving.

5 stars aren't enough

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsOpenDNS offers me a place to work where I feel like I am truly valued and the work that I do matters. My manager respects my work life balance but I work really hard when I am here and I feel appreciated.

My other favorite part of working at OpenDNS is all of the trainings we are able to attend for free, from public speaking classes to negotiation workshops at Stanford University to healthy eating seminars. OpenDNS truly wants us to be better at what we do and the people that we are and I really love that!

Lastly, we have an awesome office that is a great place to be every day!

ConsDon't have lunches 5 days a week, probably will soon though.

Wonderful environment full of great people and fun problems to solve

ProsThe people, the culture, the perks, the intelligence and dedication of the teams, and the overall focus of the company. We get to work on products that actually help people in the real world. Our customers are awesome.

ConsThere is nothing major to list, in fact I would say there aren't really any cons to speak of.

Worked for OpenDNS? Contribute to the Community!