Open Scan Technologies Reviews

Updated 6 June, 2014

Nadine Lange

Great Place, Great People, Great Benefits

I have been working at Open Scan Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Where to start...

First off, I'd like to say, I don't die a little inside every morning when my alarm clock goes off. I'm excited to see what the day holds.

Open Scan Technologies is a wonderful place to work for the right person. Culture fit, really is everything here. We have a friendly, outgoing, motivated team. There are constantly fun little perks to the job; company paid Thai Massage and Teeth Whitening during the holidays, beer Friday to celebrate a success, game night, go-kart racing, karaoke and happy hour. We work as a team and play as a team.

OS has a very competitive benefits package with the employee’s health insurance cost covered. Not only is the cost covered but the plan options are GREAT!

If you are looking to advance your career and pick up some new skills along the way, this is the place to be. There are employees who started in a non-management role, and worked their way up into a Management, Director and Executive level.

Cons

It’s a smaller group so with that being said there can be cross over between departments. The attitude of "that's not my job" won't stick here.

Just like with any organization, communication isn't always perfect. Its not bad either.

Phenomenal opportunity w/ great benefits

Current Employee - Girl Friday  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Girl Friday in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Open Scan Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked at OPEN SCAN for a little over 6 months and wake up every day thankful that I decided to make the move rather than taking other former employee's on this sites words for it. The company not only pays highly competitive salaries but also provides an incredible benefits package beyond what most companies offer (free medical, dental & vision insurance for employees) including other various perks (Gym w/ showers, free cross fit trainer, Thai Massages, Teeth Whitening, etc....). The building is amazing, the core management is strong & functional, communication between departments is healthy & ALL of your teammates are supportive! Taking into consideration the recent growth of the company and road that leads ahead the possibilities are endless!

Cons

Open Scan Technologies is not an atmosphere that harvests the weak! If you are unable to hold to your commitments or handle constructive criticism don't bother!

On the other hand, if you want an employer that provides true feedback enabling your growth & recognition of your personal/professional achievements; you'll NEVER regret making the decision to join this group!

It is my understanding that when the company was smaller the business ran differently with more micro-management (as you would expect from a small employer); however I have not seen such a thing during my tenure here. You are hiring the correct people who define and hold to your realistic goals..... Keep up the good work!

I've grown significantly in my career and have become a SME in finance automation

I have been working at Open Scan Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, facilities, viable industry-defining product in an emerging market.

Small company feel, great plan for growth in the industry.

Cons

Small company feel. One of the most difficult sales I've ever seen. Personalities. Cliques.

Keep up the smart growth. Rward those help you get where you are heading.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can't beat the company culture

I have been working at Open Scan Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Proactive staff is team oriented
    "Fun" environment for a software company
    Good benefits
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Close-knit group (also a pro) = politics/gossip
    If you are easily offended or take business matters personally, this may not be the place for you.

Product Management/Marketing department well managed. Keep it up.

Likely my single largest career ... mistake

I have been working at Open Scan Technologies full-time

Pros

There are some good people there and I made some good friends while working at Open Scam. The office is reasonably nice. The location is reasonably convenient.

Cons

Like another post said, check your personal values at the door. It is hands down one of the strangest working environments you might ever encounter. You're told to lie to the customer - not just stretch the truth. If you are in sales, you can rely on not being paid appropriately for commissions and bonuses for whatever made-up reason that comes to management's mind. The software development process is about as unstructured as it gets. Release dates and functionality are rarely met on time and with accuracy. I could go on. No workplace is perfect... and this one sets the dysfunctional bar.

Treat people like you want to be treated. Having just a tiny bit of integrity is a great first step. Structured software development isn't easy but is attainable. Don't borrow money from your employee's 401K's to make payroll.

Walk on Egg Shells

Current Employee - Grunt  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Grunt in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Open Scan Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of friendly people. Each group (Sales, Professinal Services, Development) has a nice mix of hardworking and good natured people. The veteran leaders of each group know what it takes to get the job done; so if you are unsure of something, there is someone who knows the answer. Unsanctioned team activities (poker, game night, golf, etc) are very enjoyable. There is a gym in the basement, a massage chair upstairs and plenty of candy.

Cons

There is more focused placed on the aesthetics of the company than on the software product itself. Instead of spending funds enhancing what looks to be a college sophmores 1998 computer science project, "leadership" likes to purchase lots and lots of art, expand the size of the office unnessarily and build things onto the office. "Leadership" will micro manage very odd parts of your life. Forget to use the handrail going down the stairs, that's a scolding. Forget to take your shoes off in the winter, another scolding. Of all things though, make sure that you attend the summer and winter company parties. You miss one of those and you may as well look for another job. Notice something that the company can improve on and relay that to management, that's a firing (don't ever mention anything about improvements to benefits). Oh, even though you are a salaried adult, you are expected to clock in and out. You should know that if you take a job here you need to walk on eggshells.

A promising, yet utterly horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Open Scan Technologies full-time

Pros

Many good people have and still do work there. They have a very interesting niche, with a great value proposition for what they do. Lots of possibilities as a company. You can almost always work just an 8 hour day.

Cons

A truly horrible place to work. By far, the worst place I have worked in my entire career. You don't really realize how utterly bad it is until you are actually gone. It's kind of like an abusive relationship. You think the problems are you, and the seemingly right things are said to you at the right time, and you don't leave. But then finally you come to the realization that it isn't a good place to be at all, and you find the strength and the inner resolve to believe in yourself and get the heck out. You see all those articles that talk about good bosses and good management? This company is the antithesis of all of those. First level management is generally just fine. The problem stems from the very top. But management hands are tied, and they are bypassed and overruled on a regular basis.
    My recommendation to anyone considering going to work for here: Look up former employees on LinkedIn. Get the straight scoop from them.

Step away and hire a CEO, or hand the reigns to someone already there. Go travel and enjoy life. Those who work there will be so much happier.

Open Scan is on a clear trajectory of growth and "growing up"

I have been working at Open Scan Technologies

Pros

I've been working at Open Scan for years and have seen the company grow up in many ways. I've seen it move from a little boutique software company to a solution provider with solid, defined solutions that address specific business problems. With that, I've seen the leadership mature and refocus on solid strategies that work. As an employee, that means improved benefits, a professional growth plan, and fast-paced professional workplace. I feel all the departments are willing to help and work together more so than other companies I've worked at.

Cons

Personalities, personalities, personalities. Open Scan is not for the shy or weak. I see this as a positive but some might not - nothing is handed to you here, you have to earn it.

Keep getting better. There is always room for improvement. Listen to your employees because they are the most important resource a company like Open Scan has.

A place where the only way you can survive is if you are a master of head games

I worked at Open Scan Technologies

Pros

Open Scan is place where you can learn all about Microsoft Technologies - You get to use the MSFT Team Foundation server and some of the staff is helpful when it comes to .NET. Working with the clients. The building is really nice on the inside.

Cons

The Open Scan environment is extremely cliquish. When you walk through the Open Scan door in the morning you are immediately on edge the whole day. You never know who or what is going to blind-side you. Perception is reality so if you are good at parking your morals and ethics at the door, you might be able to survive.

Management needs to remove themselves from the day to day activities and not be pulled in with the drama, this nurtures the negative environment.

The best part about working at Open Scan is the feeling of freedom when you walk out the door for the last time.

I have been working at Open Scan Technologies

Pros

The friendships made in the very weird environment are quite strong due to the shared experience. Overall, it is similar to having served on the frontlines with someone. You come away scared but stronger for the experience.

Cons

When you work at Open Scan you leave integrity, respect, and trust at the door. It is difficult to express how poorly the company is run except to say that it seems more like a large HIGHLY dysfunctional family rather than a business. Big brother is replaced by Big Momma and there is no comedic relief.

You hire exceptional people. Trust them to do the right thing and give them the opportunity to do it. Remove nepotism and the clannish favoritism with more exceptional new hires... You might improve your perspective.

Worked for Open Scan Technologies? Contribute to the Community!