OneSource Building Technologies Reviews

2.7
Bruce F Davis

Only a small stepping stone - No future here

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies full-time

Pros

Great place to work if your life evolves around sports and you enjoy being micromanaged all the way down to placing your coffee cup in the dishwasher and counting how many pieces of toilet paper you use in the restroom. All the free premium coffee one could ever desire, but there is probably a camera watching and counting each sip. Managing partner is not cheap, but he is sure to make you aware of this. This company is also big on offering opportunities for charity donations from employees that can barely make ends meet on the low pay given - this is a pro for charities but a con for those who cannot even make ends meet but it sure makes "the company" look good.

Cons

Low pay, no annual reviews but preferential treatment and higher salaries are given to certain preferred individuals. No appreciation or recognition is shown for extra effort and dedication where credit is due, but some are certainly recognized for being at work on a given day and smiling for a photo. Harsh criticism and termination threats are given without any hesitation to fully comprehend or discuss actual facts. Although the company does compensate $50 per month to use ones personal cell phone for business use, one is expected to have company email on it and to answer business calls 24/7, regardless of the time of day or night and you may be threatened if you do not take a call or respond to an email.

Advice to Management

Managing partner needs to spend more time away from the office and concentrate more on his family or be more like the CEO/CFO and let everyone do the job they were hired or assigned to do.

Good company to start. Very unstable job environment. Low pay

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at OneSource Building Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Can't think of one but only good for starters. that's it.

Cons

I could write several pages of realities here and you will agree with me.

- Work environment. They force you to dress professionally when one of the partners shows up in Adidas sport wear (?). Management always talk about football and not focused on the work. every year people is relocated from one cubicle to another for no reason. Partners don't care about what are you doing or how much you are making. They will interrupt you at anytime without professionalism even if you are with the customer so you have to apologize for that. You can have lunch because is the law but count the time because the partner (again) is watching you. They use the company email distribution list to send jokes or to blame everybody because somebody did not clean the kitchen. So you work life is unsafe because you can get fire at anytime for no reason even if you are working hard and making money for the company. there is a small group that gets all the benefits and job security, if you are not inside it you are nobody no matter if you have been working for years. The main decisions are made based on the mood of the owners/partners (again?) so every time they talk everybody fells afraid of what is going to happen.

- Benefits: You will get your 401k and health but those are expensive. Every year the company is making more money but charging the employees (most of them) more in health which does not make any sense. No bonuses even if you make millions. Salary raises is a myth. Nobody (outside the privileged group) gets a raise so don't expect that. Promotions? just for the privileged group. You will get a laptop and they could pay part of your phone bills in order to use it. You have access via VPN but don't expect to work from home because that is not a option (even if the position can do it). Field techs gets good pay but sometimes they cut the hours without an advise. Usually Project Coordinators get half of the pay of the field techs and the Call center even less so I don't know how these people lives with that.

Advice to Management

Owners, Partners and CEO please be on that position and let the managers do the job. More motivation like bonuses and better work environment. Please be more professional and organized if you want to grow up. this is a company not a home based business.

3. Good Company to work with

Current Contractor - CMS Technician in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - CMS Technician in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work. They try their best to give you competivive benefits and good pay. Management does their best to keep the employees happy. Great 401K program, competivive wages,

Cons

They need to do more for those technicians that work outside of Houston. They are going thru growing pains.

Advice to Management

They need to provide training to employees to keep up with the demands of the workplace.

5. Sketchy business practices

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Don't know of any to list.

Cons

Stay away from this company. Very questionable ethics.

Advice to Management

You either have the right values or you don't. No amount of "advice" will change this.

You couldn't ask for a better place to work

Current Employee - Project Lead in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay in a diminishing economy. Management actually cares about getting a job well done for the customer & taking care of their employees. New business procedures are created every day to fit our clients needs, and we've become one of the premier providers for major global companies. Great insurance, great atmosphere to work in. If you love sports, this is also the office for you!
    There is always room for growth here, but you have to put in the effort, just like any other job.

Cons

There are no cons. So many people want to complain about the atmosphere and how the operations are ran at this company. My advice is that there are way tougher jobs out there, and you will be expected to push yourself and go 100% no matter where you are employed. They have a business to run, and they are going to make sure you are doing your part. Don't expect to get a free ride on the easy train. They pay you, you don't pay them.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing an excellent job - keep up the great work. You've built this company into something from nothing, and that is truly amazing in itself.

Poor Management skils and poor decency

Current Contractor - Technician in Savannah, GA (US)
    Current Contractor - Technician in Savannah, GA (US)

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I can not find one, looks like every employee is under tremendus pressure.

Cons

Managers and Project Coordinators love to hide behind the phone answering system and emails, don't return your phone calls, travel policy is shady, you dont get pay for the first 10 miles, Project coordinator doesn’t advise enough details of the job, compensation is a joke.

Advice to Management

Hire people with values and basic personal skills

Nightmare job, terrible management, long hours, low pay

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A good place to get some Project Coordination/Management experience but I'd suggest getting a PMP certification soon after and you'd have many more opportunities with better earning power elsewhere. Some people liked the Flavia coffee machine. At the time I lived on the NW side of Houston so the location was convenient.

Cons

The Sales staff is constantly over-promising and putting the Operations department into crisis emergency mode. The pay was extremely low, insulting really but in a bad economy I needed the job. No options for career development or advancement. Long hours, no time for lunch breaks, no overtime but you're expected to work past the typical 8-5. I had to constantly deal with 3rd party subcontractors, that I hired for jobs, calling me and asking for their paychecks. I felt bad calling people to work jobs for me because I knew it was likely that they wouldn't be paid. This resulted in the contractors threatening to put liens on the company where my projects took place, which upset my clients.

Advice to Management

Have the Sales department communicate with Operations on scheduling before promising the world and last minute emergencies at 5pm that must be completed today because there's no way I'm going to be able to find a tech to do this job and you're just going to upset the customer and blame the Project Coordinator. Pay a fair salary comparable to industry standards. Less micro-managing.

9. great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

great place to work, relax environment, high tech company.

Cons

music cubicles, 8 hours + daily

10. Challenging and busy

Current Employee - PM
    Current Employee - PM

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies

Pros

Growth and expansion during a downed economy. Mgmt is approachable and listens to your ideas. Our lead sales guy is knowledgeable and cares in our well being. Keeps us busy with work all around the world. Good place to work. Benfits are above average compare to my last company.

Cons

Need to hire more knowledgeable vendor mgmt. Coordinators perform their work majority of the time.

Advice to Management

Hire real vendor mgmt with knowledge.

Steady

Current Employee - Data Tech
    Current Employee - Data Tech

I have been working at OneSource Building Technologies

Pros

If you do a good job I think it raises your rating, so you get opportunities more regularly. Seems to pay pretty good.

Cons

Compensation is not broken down per job, so it's a mystery sometimes what you are getting for which job. If you ask over the phone what a certain job will pay, they typically don't know that either. Most jobs require some home preparation which I don';t believe you are compensated for. Mileage is paid, but not the time driving. Not a big deal unless the job is far away.

Advice to Management

The tech check-in process can sometimes be really tedious. Please either fix that or pay for the time being on hold or answering silly questions.

OneSource Building Technologies Photos