OneBeacon

Add Photos

OneBeacon President, CEO, and Director Mike Miller

Mike Miller

Loved it for many years, but the last 3 were miserable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDuring the last 3 years, the benefits to working at OneBeacon was a fair salary and an easy commute.

ConsThere were a number of layoffs during the recession, which I understood, but I feel that the layoffs went too far. Several people who had unique skill sets & knowledge that was still needed were let go, which left many people doing work that was above their job level, experience & qualifications. The people that were retained had to take on not just more work, but more difficult work, resulting in poor performance. People weren't allowed to work overtime to catch up, so a lot of things just simply didn't get done.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are people, not machines. Treat them as such.

Worst experience of my life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some good, knowledgeable people here.

ConsHorrible HR practices. I was accused of something I didn't do. Proper investigation would have proven that. I was advised that it was too costly and time consuming to do so. I was not terminated but they "put a note in my file" and somehow this confidential matter leaked out of HR, became common knowledge and I became a pariah.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend your HR folks to classes on compliance, confidentiality, and proper investigation.

Review

Claims Representative (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsGood hours flexible hours no micro managing

ConsPoor pay and compensation no opportunity for growth

Advice to Senior Managementthink of the little person

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Canton, MA (US)

ProsNice managers, pay and benefits

ConsLocation on 93 mad the commute pretty rough

Being let go after 20+ years of devoted service

Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsAllows some telecommuting depending upon location

ConsWas a good company until they changed direction and decided to outsource a lot of IT functionality to the Phillipines. They are letting go a lot of experienced people that they could spend a few dollars to retrain. Not good for America.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't have to follow the pack. Do what's right for American workers.

OneBeacon has been a great place to work.

ProsOneBeacon has been a great place to work. I’ve always felt both challenged and supported. I will be starting a position with a new company at the end of this month but will take all that I’ve learned and the relationships I’ve made with me.

ConsThe company had been in transition for a number of years but that is mostly in the past at this point.

OB is OK

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Canton, MA (US)

ProsThe finance department has some pleasant people to work with. Management appears to care about helping you develop professionally and be healthy.

ConsThe company was going through a lot of changes when I worked there. The pay is low and since they went public they were doing everything possible to bring down their expense ratio, aka laying off a lot of people and taking away a lot of employee benefits. The finance department doesn't have much room for growth. It also had a very political feel to it.

Lack of direction and focus

ProsThe pay is good, however that is how employees are lured in

ConsManagement and leadership is constantly turning over so the direction and vision are always changing. It feels like non-leaders are put in leadership positions so that executive management is not challenged. The front line staff is overall bitter and disengaged. There are constant layoffs that deeply affect morale. Employees are lured in with amazing promises which are immediately broken once a contract is signed.

great experience - sad to be in runoff

Claim (Current Employee) Canton, MA (US)

ProsTalented co-workers and supportive management

ConsNo ability to transfer into the ongoing company

Advice to Senior ManagementMore honest communication

Lacking our direction

Underwriter (Former Employee) Farmington, CT (US)

ProsSmall company that can change direction quickly, some good specialty people. Several units are doing well.

ConsLots of politics for a small company. Management is sheltered from the front lines and any criticism. Random firings and hirings are a hit to morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are a small company, fire middle management and open up direct lines of communication. Use your small size to your advantage.

Worked for OneBeacon? Contribute to the Community!