Old Navy

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.2 1,260 reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic (in 90 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount (in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • you will only become a cashier if you get customers to open old navy credit cards (in 123 reviews)

• They don't offer any unpaid time off or paid benefits to part time employees (in 60 reviews)

More Highlights
1,260 Employee Reviews

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat employee discounts! Great people who create an extremely friendly atmosphere making work not feel so much like work

ConsNot much room for advancement

It's retail

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) Etobicoke, ON

ProsFriendly upbeat company that does a lot of the community ( at least mine did), managers seemed to know what they were doing and did their job professionally.

ConsCustomers are rude. Blamed to be be racist by every middle age black woman for no reason. It's retail, u'll be folding clothes from beginning of your shift till the end. Bad hours, a lot of 3 hour shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter scheduling

Flexible, fun job that's perfect for a student looking to earn spending money

Customer Experience Associate (Former Employee) Richmond, BC

Pros-employee discounts!
    -coworkers are friendly and helpful
    -supervisors/managers are approachable and easygoing
    -virtually always get requested days off (just make sure to give enough notice)... super helpful for when I have midterms/finals!

Cons-there are a ton of products for sale, and the location of products on the floor is constantly changing, so it feels nearly impossible to find what you're looking for!
    -signage can be really confusing, which makes customers angry
    -neverending mess... especially on weekends/holidays
    -you're lucky if you get more than one 5 hr shift a week... fine if you have other things to do, not so fine if you actually want to earn decent money

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great group of people and fun atmosphere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome management and opportunities for advancement if you work hard and can get some exposure with the managers / staff. I felt respected by my boss and coworkers, for the work that I perform and the attitude that I would bring to work everyday.

ConsTime off policies during peak season, low compensation for entry level positions, lack of hours after holiday season, some incompetent staff members. Changes in management resulted in loss of face and credibility, leading to some tension.

Fantastic Company

Service & Training Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company values, plenty of opportunity for growth, great compensation

ConsHours for full time employees are long for one day.
    Not always staffed enough to do best job possible.

Great opportunity

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

Prosgood environment, amazing discounts at old navy, banana republic and gap,

Consannoying Customers , irregular shifts

New management changed everything over night

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosdiscounts are the only reason many stay.

Consterrible hours. also with new management it was an entirely different store. rules changed overnight. people quitting due to new managment. calling in sick is a hassle, they want doctors notes now. if you want to switch shifts have to email every manager and if its rejected and you dont show up (Even if someone takes it) you're marked up as unexcused and or absent.

Good student job, experience depends on coworkers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

Pros- great discounts for Old Navy and sister stores, GAP and Banana Republic
    - great coworkers, will help train you in the start
    - management mostly took my feedback into consideration
    - decent pay for a retail job for a student
    - management usually took my needs as a student in consideration when creating schedules

Cons- as the management changed, so did the quality of the employees of the store; bad management = bad store
    - it is, as I am writing this review, at a good place with management however there was a time where bad employees were being hired and there was rampant favouritism in promotions
    - hours can be erratic during non-seasonal times; can get anywhere from 1-3 shifts, sometimes with only 3 hours per shift
    - no full-time positions offered for non-management employees
    - some employees blatantly disregard rules, such as showing up hours late or not showing up at all, and still keep their jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your sales employees and how they react to changes in management. Those on the floor are the ones interacting with the actual customer so the happier the employee, the better the store's overall customer satisfaction will be. Employees are more willing to do well and work hard for employers that they like and respect.

Customer Service

Cashier (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Proseasy work, usually fun coworkers, discount

Conspoor management, inconsistent, minimum wage

Advice to Senior Managementbe self aware of favouritism

started out great, then management went sour

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is fair, some good perks, but in the end not worth the stress

Consupper management makes for an unprofessional environment.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees with alot more respect, and you will receive that respect back

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!