Old Navy

3.4
1,568 Reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic (in 103 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance is based mostly of off how many Old Navy credit cards you sell (in 137 reviews)

• Must know how to prioritize your time to achieve work-life balance along with respective DOR (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Former Employee - Cash Handler in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Cash Handler in Toronto, ON

I worked at Old Navy

Pros

Great working environment and the people in management are super friendly

Cons

compensation can sometime be an issue, especially if you've been working there for a long time.

Fun

I have been working at Old Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people, pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Work life balance is tough.

Great Transitioning Job

Current Employee - Sellebrity in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Sellebrity in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers and employees are all amazing. Offers flexible schedules. Employee discount is great.

Cons

At times, getting scheduled for shifts as a part time sales associate is difficult; However, it is understandable when business is slow (especially after the winter holidays).

Great place to work

I have been working at Old Navy

Pros

-Great team spirit
    -Managers care about you

Cons

-Not enough hours after Xmas, but hey, it's retail.

Keep up the good work!

Okay student job, not in the long-term

Current Employee - Sellebrity
    Current Employee - Sellebrity

I have been working at Old Navy

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Opportunity for promotion to management if you have the availability

It is easy to book time off if you need to. Generally it's a fun place to work and it's easy to make friends with the people you work with. There are often opportunities to apply for management positions, and they will be willing to train you for those positions if you ask. Employees who perform well will get longer shifts and more hours. It is very easy to organize work at Old Navy with a school schedule.

Cons

-Low pay
    -Few hours
    -Very small yearly raises
    -Will not provide reference

Minimum wage is the base pay. Sometimes you may be hired on with a few cents difference ($11.35 as opposed to $11). The hours are very sporadic. Three hour shifts are common for new employees, or when they don't have many hours to give out.

To the managers, speak one on one to employees more often about employee morale, and how they feel about their workplace.

Very Fair and Respectful Company to work for

I have been working at Old Navy

Pros

Flexible Schedule, great salary, fast paced, great benefits, great people

Cons

Low Payroll, Poor work life balance, aged technology, minimal career movement outside of store

Management only cares about excelling their careers while you remain a lifeless sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Old Navy

Pros

Flexibility. This was crucial when I was in school.

Cons

Gave my two weeks notice after I was offered a salary position for what I went to school for. After 4 years of working there (2 years at an amazing location, 2 years at a not so good location -- after recent management change). The manager had the audacity to say I never gave notice and embaressed me infront of everyone. Rolled his eyes and criticised me. SORRY FOR ACTUALLY TRYING TO IMPROVE MY LIFE and go for a career in my field. Miserable management, I feel sorry for them.

Dont stay in your offices all day. Make your employees feel like they are on the same level as you.

Okay company, awful store

Former Employee - Sellebrity in Ajax, ON
    Former Employee - Sellebrity in Ajax, ON

I worked at Old Navy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    good coworkers
    good management

Cons

Low hours
    short shifts
    tedious work
    rude customers
    disinterested management

The manager of my store did not work very often at all, she took off inventory weekend. I worked with her twice, she would forget to schedule me in for a week. There were very little chances for feedback, managers thought they would be giving feedback but it was really just them talking about the store goals. Company seems like a great place to work, I just got stuck with a bad store.

Great place for a summer job!

Former Employee - Sellebrity Sales
    Former Employee - Sellebrity Sales

I worked at Old Navy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They pay well! They give some food and candy to employees. Music playing in the store is good. During summer it's really nice working there. Ambiance is fun. Employees are great and young.

Cons

You don't really have a good discount on clothes, just 25% (customers who receive email have more discount than you every week).
    When you are cashier you MUST ask email because you are evaluated on this (and customer hates it -__-)
    Schedules are really absurd.
    You never know your schedule until thursday-friday so you don't know if your work sunday.
    Hard to balance job and university because they doesn't care about your life.
    The big boss of the store didn't know my name after 3 months and was kind of grumpy.
    They don't respect your disponibilities/ hours maximum.

Please, try to understand your student-employees. They NEED to have a normal schedule so that they can plan homeworks, etc.

Stop asking email, it's very annoying for the customer and the cashier. Do like every others companies and ask people their email for winning something and they will be happy to give you an email so you can send them publicities.

And PLEASE, change your cash register, they are super old and bug every time. You can also think about payment by chip card, welcome in 2014.

Good, Knowledgable Team

Former Employee - Seasonal Sellebrity
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sellebrity

I worked at Old Navy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management was great. They were very knowledgable and helpful to both new employees and customers. They were understanding of school schedueling in relation to work schedueling, very friendly and effcient staff. They were good at assessing whether or not they needed extra help and would let employees off early if they day was very slow and the store didn't need extra care.

Cons

I wasn't made aware of all store policies at first and thus ended up having to ask other employees when a customer had a question for me. I found the walkie talkies hard to hear/understand and they would sometimes shut off without you noticing and you would miss someone calling for you.