Old Navy

3.3
1,446 Reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • You also receive generous discounts from Old Navy, Gap and Banana Republic (in 99 reviews)

• The staff is fun to work with and there is an incredible employee discount (in 133 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance is based mostly of off how many Old Navy credit cards you sell (in 133 reviews)

• Must know how to prioritize your time to achieve work-life balance along with respective DOR (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people/rough Sale schedules

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Old Navy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount- great values.
    Focused on people development
    Most customers are wonderful and you really build a relationship

Cons

Dollar Flip-flop day: Shop around the clock Black friday 24hr sale

Keep up the good work

Okay company, awful store

Former Employee - Sellebrity in Ajax, ON
    Former Employee - Sellebrity in Ajax, ON

I worked at Old Navy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment
    good coworkers
    good management

Cons

Low hours
    short shifts
    tedious work
    rude customers
    disinterested management

The manager of my store did not work very often at all, she took off inventory weekend. I worked with her twice, she would forget to schedule me in for a week. There were very little chances for feedback, managers thought they would be giving feedback but it was really just them talking about the store goals. Company seems like a great place to work, I just got stuck with a bad store.

Great place for a summer job!

Former Employee - Sellebrity Sales
    Former Employee - Sellebrity Sales

I worked at Old Navy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They pay well! They give some food and candy to employees. Music playing in the store is good. During summer it's really nice working there. Ambiance is fun. Employees are great and young.

Cons

You don't really have a good discount on clothes, just 25% (customers who receive email have more discount than you every week).
    When you are cashier you MUST ask email because you are evaluated on this (and customer hates it -__-)
    Schedules are really absurd.
    You never know your schedule until thursday-friday so you don't know if your work sunday.
    Hard to balance job and university because they doesn't care about your life.
    The big boss of the store didn't know my name after 3 months and was kind of grumpy.
    They don't respect your disponibilities/ hours maximum.

Please, try to understand your student-employees. They NEED to have a normal schedule so that they can plan homeworks, etc.

Stop asking email, it's very annoying for the customer and the cashier. Do like every others companies and ask people their email for winning something and they will be happy to give you an email so you can send them publicities.

And PLEASE, change your cash register, they are super old and bug every time. You can also think about payment by chip card, welcome in 2014.

Good, Knowledgable Team

Former Employee - Seasonal Sellebrity
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sellebrity

I worked at Old Navy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management was great. They were very knowledgable and helpful to both new employees and customers. They were understanding of school schedueling in relation to work schedueling, very friendly and effcient staff. They were good at assessing whether or not they needed extra help and would let employees off early if they day was very slow and the store didn't need extra care.

Cons

I wasn't made aware of all store policies at first and thus ended up having to ask other employees when a customer had a question for me. I found the walkie talkies hard to hear/understand and they would sometimes shut off without you noticing and you would miss someone calling for you.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB

I worked at Old Navy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere with a great big team and many enthusiastic personalities. Amazing to learn about all the products and very easy to sell as people don't need much persuasion in to buying merchandise at Old Navy. You learn about Mens, Womens, Pregnant, Children clothing and get to sell a variety of these products.

Cons

Small and fast learning curve, the skills you still need to learn on the job dramatically drop and it becomes very routine. Advancement is limited and you feel like you definitely need to move on if you want to achieve more and develop your skills in life. Also, tons of clothes to fold continuously but expected because this is retail!

-More opportunities for advancement
    -More feedback to employees about performance and reward when necessary
    -Opportunities for team bonding experiences/ Off work bonding

It's retail

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Etobicoke, ON
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Etobicoke, ON

I worked at Old Navy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly upbeat company that does a lot of the community ( at least mine did), managers seemed to know what they were doing and did their job professionally.

Cons

Customers are rude. Blamed to be be racist by every middle age black woman for no reason. It's retail, u'll be folding clothes from beginning of your shift till the end. Bad hours, a lot of 3 hour shifts.

Better scheduling

very disappointed with this company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Windsor, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Windsor, ON

I worked at Old Navy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-discount at ON, gap and banana republic stores worldwide
    -cute clothes
    -you might get a slight raise every year at your "focal"... maybe 20 cents
    -stores close by 9-10pm so you can still go out after a shift

Cons

-management is arbitray and inconsistent with discipline (favortism)
    -management is inconsistent with rules and policies
    -few to no shifts per week, except for december
    -no opportunity to advance even having experience and desire
    -management harasses staff to the point people have to quit
    -management disciplines staff unfairly/without cause

-be consistent with rules and policies and don't harass your staff or discipline without cause or b/c you're personally mad at someone
    -don't hold all store meetings on holiday weekends
    -stop the favortism
    -hire more competent staff to do signage b/c rightly so customers will complain loudly when it's incorrect

Great place to work!

I worked at Old Navy

Pros

Great employee discounts! Great people who create an extremely friendly atmosphere making work not feel so much like work

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Flexible, fun job that's perfect for a student looking to earn spending money

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Richmond, BC
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Richmond, BC

I worked at Old Navy part-time

Pros

-employee discounts!
    -coworkers are friendly and helpful
    -supervisors/managers are approachable and easygoing
    -virtually always get requested days off (just make sure to give enough notice)... super helpful for when I have midterms/finals!

Cons

-there are a ton of products for sale, and the location of products on the floor is constantly changing, so it feels nearly impossible to find what you're looking for!
    -signage can be really confusing, which makes customers angry
    -neverending mess... especially on weekends/holidays
    -you're lucky if you get more than one 5 hr shift a week... fine if you have other things to do, not so fine if you actually want to earn decent money

Great group of people and fun atmosphere.

I worked at Old Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome management and opportunities for advancement if you work hard and can get some exposure with the managers / staff. I felt respected by my boss and coworkers, for the work that I perform and the attitude that I would bring to work everyday.

Cons

Time off policies during peak season, low compensation for entry level positions, lack of hours after holiday season, some incompetent staff members. Changes in management resulted in loss of face and credibility, leading to some tension.