Old Navy

3.1 1,085 reviews

Old Navy President & CEO Gap, Inc. Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

1,085 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "25% off the store and 50% off of Gap and Banana Republic merchandise"
    in 80 reviews
  • "I enjoy the people I work with, the employee discount and the fun atmosphere"
    in 105 reviews
Cons:
  • "It makes it stressful as in this day people do NOT want/need more credit cards"
    in 110 reviews
  • "Especially since most of us were working part time for a few hours a week"
    in 52 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great part time job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB

I worked at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly co-workers, possibility for a lot of hours, able to learn every aspect of the store (fitting rooms, floor, tills and even pricing).

Consit was very hard to get days off, some of the managers would take out their bad moods on you, terrible customers.

Advice to Senior Managementpay your employees more, especially ones that work a lot of hours. give employees days off it they ask for it because most of the time, there's a valid reason for a requested day off.

SGales associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Old Navy part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to meet people as most employees are students, great discount for those that like to shop

ConsMinimum wage and hours is based on favouritism

Mediocre job.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for more than a year

Pros- if the managers like you, they'll be extremely flexible with your work schedule and time off requests
- you can basically coast on being a mediocre employee before they actually say something to you or fire you

Cons- often under staffed (EXTREMELY STRESSFUL on busy days!!! - oh, and there are LOTS of busy days)
- managers pick favourites and this plays a huge role in your scheduling / time off requests, etc....
- LONG closing hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more consistent with the way you manage things. Each manager has a different view on how things should be run and it gets extremely irritating for employees to have to cater to the several different standards. Stop picking favourites!

Slow spiral down

Certified Cash Handler/Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Brampton, ON

I worked at Old Navy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros- great discounts for Old Navy and sister stores, GAP and Banana Republic
- friendly atmosphere
- great co-workers
- clothes are a nice, cheap source of basics
- a great gateway/foray into the retail world; low/open requirements

Cons- NOT a meritocracy
- poor upward mobility; advancement was based entirely on favoritism
- large turnover
- over hiring during the holiday season as well as co-op students impacting hours for seasoned associates
- any time besides the holidays saw little and inconsistent hours for seasoned associates
- within my store, certain members of management were poor managers and did little work besides delegating their own work upon others, not to mention were guilty of racial profiling and poor customer service
- reward for excellent performance in logistics results in getting sent home early (ie. cut hours and less wages)
- quality of product has steadily declined over years; both in actualy quality of material, stitching, as well as style. Old Navy 'style' is very bland, mainstream, and/or unchic

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer to attention to your in-store management team as well as the workers on the floor. There is a lot of management in there that are poor performers, and you have many employees who are more than capable of performing in larger roles if given the chance (they're not).
Advancement seems heavily based on favoritism and not by performance or aptitude. I saw three DMs, and the last one was by far the worst, ignoring/refusing to assist [even as a reference] outstanding employees (including assistant managers) with even a reference letter, while installing/promoting employees she had known prior to her promotion to DM.

There seems to be a large disconnect between corporate and retail levels, corporate only concerns themselves with numbers and as long as those numbers are good they don't seem to care about anything else within the store. By not recognizing performance of individual employees the company is preventing internal growth and satisfaction among employees and ultimately creating a bloated and inefficient store model.

Trying to be inclusive

Seasonal Sellebrity (Former Employee)

I worked at Old Navy as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI have a disability and was hired seasonally. I was happy to be given the chance to work at Old Navy. They looked at my skills and experience and after a working interview, took me on, giving me a chance to demonstrate my skills and experience.

ConsI only was given a shift a week, and when there, I was put at the back of the store. I was ensured 90 days of employment upon hire, but was not given 90 days.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep your promises.

Crazy!

I have been working at Old Navy

ProsLove their products and the discounts...Nothing else good to say

ConsThere is no training whatsoever... Management is terrible, everything is fly by the seat of your pants, crazy!
You come in for 4:30 AM shipment shifts only to get crapped on by pretty much everyone else on staff for everything else that's messed up in the store. The scheduling is ridiculous. Random shifts and they have no respect for religion, so don't bother applying if you are a church goer.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet yourselves together! Train people!

Good place to start your retail career

Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

ProsGood discounts at Old Navy (25%) , Gap (50%) and Banana Republic (50%).
Friendly coworkers who answer your questions and assist you when they can.
Unbelievable selection of clothes.
Independent.
There's always something to do.

ConsInconsistent hours, never scheduled for same time.
Not enough hands on training, one 3 hour shift.
Customers are consistently messy.
Too many employees 60+ for one location

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only problem that I have with this employer is that no one who works there is full-time other then the managers. Which totally sucks because majority of the employees have to get 2 part time jobs. The amount of shifts per week fluctuates from 1-4. Seems alright for someone who wants a very casual job but did not fit my needs for the hours. Had to get another job.
Also, I believe they did not offer full-time because they would not like to give benefits.

not a good first impression of retail

Seasonal Sellebrity (Former Employee)
Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Old Navy part-time for less than a year

Prosgood employee discounts as well as discounts for customers
some friendly coworkers

ConsWOW first off, where do i begin?
The job interview process is ridiculous. They made a group of people get up for a four hour interview at 8AM on a Sunday, just to play games (like charades, and acting out scenarios... did not want to do that at 8 in the morning). I didn't even bother to put any effort into it, but I somehow got hired anyway.

The way they train you in my opinion isn't really effective. They pair you up with an employee that already had been working there and they just tell you where everything is, not really what you should be doing or what your shifts will consist of.

Anyway, My first few shifts were fine until I started working "Product placement/Shipment" I had shown up for my first 7AM-10AM shift, and I went to a manager to ask what I should be doing, and they simply said "I don't know, were you trained for shipment?" and I replied "No." and then the manager just walked away... umm.. okay. So i had to figure out for myself what to do. The poor girl I was working with had to train me on the spot. I apologized after work, she didn't seem very happy about it but neither was I.

After a while in working shipment I noticed most of the managers where really lazy.. we'd have tons of merchandise to unbox and they would just stand there staring at us sipping their coffee while yelling that we weren't fast enough. Or they were out smoking 15 minutes after they had arrived and came back to tell us how slow we were. Insane! Help us out if you want it to go faster.

The hours were really bad too.. I kept getting three hour shifts from 7-10AM and I commute by bus... which is a 45 minute bus ride. Meanwhile, I never signed up for shipment. I was NEVER told I was going to be placed in shipment. I was supposed to be consistently on the sales floor.

Managers don't really tell you about store promotions. They have little tape recordings in the back so you can listen to them, or a chalk board of their latest promotions and sales, but it hasn't been updated since I started working there (October). So when customers ask me if there's a sale or what it is, I either have to ask a manager (who didn't even know themselves some of the time) or I just had to look at signs around the store.

One day I had enough and decided to take a Sunday off, so I called in an hour early to tell them I wasn't coming in for the day, and I basically got scolded because I called in an hour before my shift... which I thought was sufficient enough for someone to replace me. Should I be calling three hours earlier?

Not to mention this place is so disorganized and messy... it took me seven hours to clean the women's denim one shift. Nobody cares!

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody knows how to run anything... there's too many people on staff. You need to train your employees properly, regardless if they are seasonal or not. It will save you the headache.
You also need to know exactly what is going on, especially with store promotions. Be more attentive and show some respect, and help us out once in a while. I have never had a manager in my life not help me with some of my duties, especially when were were busy.

A company that has lost its values when it comes to employees

I have been working at Old Navy

ProsThe people in store who you work with are great.

ConsThe life work balance is not considered

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect and care and they will give back so much more.

way to many managers, set in their own way

Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee)
Thunder Bay, ON

I have been working at Old Navy full-time for more than 5 years

Prosget to work great people and pay

Consto many messy customers with no respect , not enough time in the day to get everything done, esp. when you end up on cash or fits cause we weren't doing the sales so we had to send home the part time staff

Advice to Senior Managementinstead of sitting in the office all day, maybe help out on the sales floor

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Old Navy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Old Navy CEO Glenn K. Murphy. All 1,085 reviews are posted anonymously by Old Navy employees.