Ogilvy & Mather Reviews

Updated 28 August, 2014

3.7

Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO Miles Young
Miles Young

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is pretty good and you get the X'mas / New Year week off (in 10 reviews)

• Great people who really work hard to try and make the company successful (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Impossible to have a work life balance due to work pressure and insane expectations from employees (in 23 reviews)

• Giving your best might mean work long and long hours in the office (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

No Work/Life Balance

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Amazing colleagues, extremely smart people working there

Cons

No respect for family values
    No work/life balance

ok

Former Employee - Copywriter  in  Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Montreal, QC

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

a fine place to work - people, culture, distinctly french is a pro for sure. also being able to be part of a big network

Cons

in montreal, we are seen as a branch office that does translation but we also do orginal work for the quebce marlet

encourage original work from all offices and not just french adaptation . the office needs to seen as its own identity

A good place for newbies to cut their teeth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

If you are tough enough to stick it out, and if you are truly passionate about your work, you will gain a lot of valuable experience here. There is a large roster of clients and a lot of different characters (good and bad) which will also add to your experience.

This is a great place to start an advertising career, and for the most part if you can make it here you can make it pretty much anywhere.

Cons

Hard work and brains don't always get recognition in this large, often impersonal work environment. You have to make a lot of noise and really put yourself out there to be acknowledged. It's not for everyone.

It can sometimes be a sweat shop, with more focus on meeting deadlines and billing hours than quality of work.

There is a lot of staff turnover and a great deal of anguish to long-time employees who constantly have to pick up the slack.

Take the time to discover who your most talented and most valuable employees are, and then let them know. Use those people as ambassadors of the Ogilvy way - it will go a lot further than some of the shortsighted (and thinly veiled) tactics used in the past.

Also, a little goes a long way. Offer your hardest working employees a free lunch or other small token of appreciation. Remember that there isn't a lot keeping your staff there, and it's very easy for them to be tempted by other offers in the industry.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok Experience

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for less than a year

Pros

good place. nice people, good company to learn wkor

Cons

management is quite biased and often promotes sexual harrassment

Decent and fun if you can get around talking heads

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's always some kind of event going on, and everyone hates the company so they has no problem using any excuse to drink on the job.

Cons

Lack of planning from management / account managers leads to a lot of saying yes on their part - when changes should of stopped a long time ago and leading to late nights (im talking 2am / 3am style late nights) from everyone else

Recognize employees contribution better - i never received a raise while at the company after my first year however I was considered the best in my department BY my department, and by other departments.

manager

Current Employee - Media Manager
    Current Employee - Media Manager

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great learning place. Worldwide presence allows integration and know how depending on the job title you own. Very dynamic and need to be used to pressure.

Cons

Not expect to be promoted unless you show your job to the right person: The decision makers. Management is typically changing the structure. Need upgrade in certain areas.

Overall a good experience

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great national and regional accounts to work with. Surrounded by some of the smartest and hungriest individuals in creative industry. What's rewarding is that opinions from anyone are highly valued and they let me to work in some of their biggest client pitches and projects.

Cons

Since everyone seems to be loaded with work all the time, instructions can be unclear and expectations are often confusing. There is an effort shown by management to maintain a work-life balance but it definitely has some room for improvement. Turnover is also quite high but it's typical for agencies.

A killer agency throughout time

Current Employee - Online Advertisement  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Online Advertisement in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The agency life can be jarring, difficult, and time consuming, the people at ogilvy make it look and feel easy. The accounts are always top notch, and well executed, and they should be, sometimes there are more than 50 people working on a single account. but from the Creatives to the Kitchen staff and security guards, everyone takes pride and seriousness in their work.

Cons

The scale of a company that large will make some people feel like a small a cog in a huge machine, and for all intents and purposes you are. this is a machine that was built a long time ago and relies on creative blood sweat and tears to stay alive. This can be feel daunting and discouraging to many.

I spent a very short time at the agency on a freelance position and a small account, but my time at the agency showed me that a company like Ogilvy was exactly where I wanted to be. I loved the people, the enviornment, and the fast paced excitement and thrill of making deadlines.

look to the future

Current Employee - Senior Management  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Management in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great brand, culture and people

Cons

too much weight on heritage; struggling to be innovative

stop talking and listen

Good First Job

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Nice culture, flexible, quality chasing, maticulous

Cons

No real room for individual ideas surpassing managers, reserved in their process, not open to too much change or improvements inter-department wise

Consider ideas and suggestions more often

Worked for Ogilvy & Mather? Contribute to the Community!