Ogilvy & Mather Reviews

Updated 13 September, 2014
3.7

Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO Miles Young
Miles Young

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is pretty good and you get the X'mas / New Year week off (in 10 reviews)

• Great people who really work hard to try and make the company successful (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Impossible to have a work life balance due to work pressure and insane expectations from employees (in 23 reviews)

• Giving your best might mean work long and long hours in the office (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

No Work/Life Balance

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Amazing colleagues, extremely smart people working there

Cons

No respect for family values
    No work/life balance

ok

Former Employee - Copywriter  in  Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Montreal, QC

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

a fine place to work - people, culture, distinctly french is a pro for sure. also being able to be part of a big network

Cons

in montreal, we are seen as a branch office that does translation but we also do orginal work for the quebce marlet

encourage original work from all offices and not just french adaptation . the office needs to seen as its own identity

A good place for newbies to cut their teeth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

If you are tough enough to stick it out, and if you are truly passionate about your work, you will gain a lot of valuable experience here. There is a large roster of clients and a lot of different characters (good and bad) which will also add to your experience.

This is a great place to start an advertising career, and for the most part if you can make it here you can make it pretty much anywhere.

Cons

Hard work and brains don't always get recognition in this large, often impersonal work environment. You have to make a lot of noise and really put yourself out there to be acknowledged. It's not for everyone.

It can sometimes be a sweat shop, with more focus on meeting deadlines and billing hours than quality of work.

There is a lot of staff turnover and a great deal of anguish to long-time employees who constantly have to pick up the slack.

Take the time to discover who your most talented and most valuable employees are, and then let them know. Use those people as ambassadors of the Ogilvy way - it will go a lot further than some of the shortsighted (and thinly veiled) tactics used in the past.

Also, a little goes a long way. Offer your hardest working employees a free lunch or other small token of appreciation. Remember that there isn't a lot keeping your staff there, and it's very easy for them to be tempted by other offers in the industry.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experiences for those uninitiated in advertising world

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training support that pushes people to develop and grow. Vast network across the globe so traveling and ideas exchanges are fluid.

Cons

Lower compensation and could be quite cut throat in the terms of business growth. Expect typical long hour and crazy deadlines.

Clearer transparency.

Good experience over all. Great people which made the job rewarding even if the work was sometimes mediocre.

Former Employee - Art Director (Above the Line)  in  Sydney (Vanuatu)
    Former Employee - Art Director (Above the Line) in Sydney (Vanuatu)

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, good atmosphere and if you pushed hard enough, some good work.

Cons

Giving into client demands way to easily which affected the quality of work.

Think longer term objectives rather than short term financial gains

Decent and fun if you can get around talking heads

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's always some kind of event going on, and everyone hates the company so they has no problem using any excuse to drink on the job.

Cons

Lack of planning from management / account managers leads to a lot of saying yes on their part - when changes should of stopped a long time ago and leading to late nights (im talking 2am / 3am style late nights) from everyone else

Recognize employees contribution better - i never received a raise while at the company after my first year however I was considered the best in my department BY my department, and by other departments.

Ok Experience

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for less than a year

Pros

good place. nice people, good company to learn wkor

Cons

management is quite biased and often promotes sexual harrassment

manager

Current Employee - Media Manager
    Current Employee - Media Manager

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great learning place. Worldwide presence allows integration and know how depending on the job title you own. Very dynamic and need to be used to pressure.

Cons

Not expect to be promoted unless you show your job to the right person: The decision makers. Management is typically changing the structure. Need upgrade in certain areas.

Fast Paced

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The Ogilvy community goes out of its way to help and teach. There is a sense of camaraderie amongst the teams and it's very rewarding when you do a good job. It's such an iconic brand that even working 3-6 months opens so many doors for you.

Cons

Even though they try their hardest to reach out to the interns, it's difficult because they still have a job so get ready for a lot of rain checks. It's a deceptively chill environment. You always have to be conscious of what you say because upper management could be in the elevator with you while you're talking about your Friday night.

It has been a nice ride but not a place that values or takes care of their people unless they're in the C-Suite.

Current Employee - Director - Senior Partner  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Director - Senior Partner in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some really smart people. Open environment leads to collaboration and it is fun (most of the time).

Cons

There is no regular raise or bonus process. People get raises every 2-3 years. Bonuses (if given) are completely arbitrary unless in the C-Suite. I've been with large companies and firms and I have never seen more "clicks" in my life.

If upper management cared they would have done things a long time ago. Picking one day a year to tell people "they matter" when nothing anyone does shows this is laughable.

Worked for Ogilvy & Mather? Contribute to the Community!