Office Depot

2.8
1,493 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal (in 67 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 66 reviews)

More Highlights

ok, until they shut down Canadian operations

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Victoria, BC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Victoria, BC

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We built a good team in our store. It was fun to work there.
    Office Depot provided good hands on training for managers

Cons

Too American.
    The Canadian division was really run as an afterthought. Office Depot head office had a tough time realizing Canada was a different country, with different attitudes and needs.

If you decide to come back into Canada, hire qualified Canadians who understand the Canadian market. It is different from the US.

below average compensation for a retail position which is low as is.

Current Employee - Customer Services Associate in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Customer Services Associate in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Management was nice and friendly. Everybody there was really nice.

Cons

Low pay. hard to get full time hours. If you have a degree normally retail can eventually lead to some form of management position, not the case with depot. There is only half a dozen jobs in the head office for Canada. based on their lack of success in the Edmonton market, there are little opportunities for store manager job since everyone else will be absorbed as other stores close. Went from four stores four years ago down to one now.

Give up and let staples crush you already.

Good for experience

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

The people I worked with and the customers. It's good experience is you are out of a 2 year college and want to learn the ropes of retail without dealing with too many stupid and irate customers.

Cons

Pay, hours, crappy upper management. The environment at some stores are a little too bland and it's kind of depressing. Business people that come in there rae usually rushed or shirt tempered or just downright stupid. Why is everyone so angry? I don't know what the company is like compared to past times but I do know that a lot of people like it better a few years ago.

Smarten up.

Nice, friendly, and a convenient part-time job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

They were very friendly and understanding. I worked part-time and had great flexibility in setting my schedule and taking time off. The management was very friendly and easy to talk to. They also were not above doing any other employees responsibilities if necessary. There was general respect for people who worked there. If you love technology you got to see and learn about all of the latest consumer products.

Cons

The pay was pretty low, and it got boring during slow times. Even people who had been there a long time were not making that much money. I think pretty much only people working at the corporate level made a good living.

More pay to employees would mean less turnover and better, happier, employees.

i need to find another job and fast!!!

Current Employee - Tech Associate in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Tech Associate in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

good people, fairly easy job, cant really think of any other good reason to work for office depot.

Cons

low pay compared to what most of the market is paying today. apparently you don't need experience to be promoted to assistant manager (e.g. i have 3 1/2 years retail experience and another year at office depot and they promote a guy that has been with office depot less then a year) like wtf!!!, i could go on and write a book of the downsides of working for office depot.

increase the pay to at least $15 an hour so you wont have so many people quitting all the time. git rid of the tsd test, i would have been assistant manager but failed the managers tsd test by 3% so no interview and i work my ass off!!, i will probably be looking for another job pretty soon

great job I mean if you are looking for hours they certainly give them to you the people are nice and friendly

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plainfield, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plainfield, IL (US)

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

pay and hours not to mention the ability to move up very quickly although the hours are long it definitley pay off in the end

Cons

long time standing and when you do have to do work its over pretty quick the most work is when customers come in then you have something to do

My Experience @ OD

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work with some get people at store level.

Cons

No hours to staff stores to meet companies goals. There is always unrealistic expectations. They push services but tech support on other in is horrible.

Easy Advancement if you consistently work hard and work for the right people.

Customer focus

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Title says it all. Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal. Management motivates employee to give 100% customer service.

Cons

Only con about this company is that growth is no where. If you like to grind day in and day out, then this is the place you can work for.

Good company but not all departments are great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a great on-boarding process to familiarize new hires with the culture. The main campus (hq) is awesome. The building is huge and has a car wash, dry cleaning drop-off, credit union, cafeteria and post office. The company also seems to care about employees and holds various events through out the year. I think the company itself is a great one despite the current hectic period.

Cons

While the company is good, it's huge which means each department is kind of doing its own thing. Unfortunately, I am in a department that's very scattered and seems to be a target. Our processes change daily (literally) and we're held to a different standard. All eyes seem to be on the department and it's uncomfortable.

Treat departments fairly and hold everyone to the same standard.

Typical warehouse environment

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Decent Salary and Bonus potential

Cons

Long hours and unrealistic expectations