Office Depot

Updated Jul 29, 2014

2.8 1,346 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights
1,346 Employee Reviews

ok, until they shut down Canadian operations

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Victoria, BC

ProsWe built a good team in our store. It was fun to work there.
    Office Depot provided good hands on training for managers

ConsToo American.
    The Canadian division was really run as an afterthought. Office Depot head office had a tough time realizing Canada was a different country, with different attitudes and needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you decide to come back into Canada, hire qualified Canadians who understand the Canadian market. It is different from the US.

below average compensation for a retail position which is low as is.

Customer Services Associate (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsManagement was nice and friendly. Everybody there was really nice.

ConsLow pay. hard to get full time hours. If you have a degree normally retail can eventually lead to some form of management position, not the case with depot. There is only half a dozen jobs in the head office for Canada. based on their lack of success in the Edmonton market, there are little opportunities for store manager job since everyone else will be absorbed as other stores close. Went from four stores four years ago down to one now.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up and let staples crush you already.

Good for experience

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with and the customers. It's good experience is you are out of a 2 year college and want to learn the ropes of retail without dealing with too many stupid and irate customers.

ConsPay, hours, crappy upper management. The environment at some stores are a little too bland and it's kind of depressing. Business people that come in there rae usually rushed or shirt tempered or just downright stupid. Why is everyone so angry? I don't know what the company is like compared to past times but I do know that a lot of people like it better a few years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmarten up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice, friendly, and a convenient part-time job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsThey were very friendly and understanding. I worked part-time and had great flexibility in setting my schedule and taking time off. The management was very friendly and easy to talk to. They also were not above doing any other employees responsibilities if necessary. There was general respect for people who worked there. If you love technology you got to see and learn about all of the latest consumer products.

ConsThe pay was pretty low, and it got boring during slow times. Even people who had been there a long time were not making that much money. I think pretty much only people working at the corporate level made a good living.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore pay to employees would mean less turnover and better, happier, employees.

i need to find another job and fast!!!

Tech Associate (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

Prosgood people, fairly easy job, cant really think of any other good reason to work for office depot.

Conslow pay compared to what most of the market is paying today. apparently you don't need experience to be promoted to assistant manager (e.g. i have 3 1/2 years retail experience and another year at office depot and they promote a guy that has been with office depot less then a year) like wtf!!!, i could go on and write a book of the downsides of working for office depot.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease the pay to at least $15 an hour so you wont have so many people quitting all the time. git rid of the tsd test, i would have been assistant manager but failed the managers tsd test by 3% so no interview and i work my ass off!!, i will probably be looking for another job pretty soon

Only retailer, that I've found, that offers super flexible scheduling for students; Unfair commission plans...

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA (US)

ProsSuper flexible scheduling; Friendly Team Environment; Good Education Benefits for both Part-Time and Full-Time associates; good customer/business relations; good experience with both customer service and services; HR services is very professional; Customer Service is like no other; Good retail experience.

ConsLow pay rate for Copy and Print Associates (which requires higher standards and more performance execution for higher demand); Tech Associates have more chances of getting higher commission than most other associates because their services earn them commission compared to Copy and Print services; Store managers can be very unfair when it comes to pay raises; Associates aren't fully trained well at Office Depot and are, in quite a lot of occasions, expected to handle issues and situations themselves; A lot of corporate changes and updates.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssociates who start or have been at Office Depot aren't given a good incentive to work in Copy and Print (CPD) compared to Tech Depot. I know that we can get commission on selling Performance Protection Plans (PPP's) and even trying to sell a Tech Service (if the opportunity is given), but those chances are slim for CPD associates because they normally get customers ringing up for CPD services and hardly for anything tech related. In the past 3 months, we had two CPD associates in my store who shied away from CPD because of the low return in working in such a strenuous environment. If CPD associates could get at least a 10% commission on selling RPF and TSA services, they would see a bigger incentive to work there. Besides, CPD is supposed to the department that makes the most profit at Office Depot, correct? So why not add more fuel to the engine and give Office Depot associates a better reason to work there, a department that deals with stressful orders, high customer demand and discipline. It would only generate more profit and keep a lot of Associates at Office Depot instead of going to other retailers that wouldn't offer such a great commission plan like that.

Overworked, stressed and underpaid

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsColleagues, some managers, good benefits and retirement plan

ConsLack of people, pay, not many opportunities for advancement unless someone leaves, lack of managers

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people fairly based on their role/responsibilities (not minimum wage for part time), reduce amount of stress, train people, show more appreciation to employees.

My experiencce with the company has been nothing short of excellent.

Analyst (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL (US)

ProsCorporate america at its best with competitive pay and benifits and room to grow within the company

ConsBeing such a large entity one might find themselves being lost in the corporate structure

Fast Pace Low Pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManager brought in food for employees, most managers were friendly and supportive

ConsThere were no custodians. Employees had to clean the bathrooms and mop floors. This is not mentioned in the interview. In addition, the pay is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire custodians to clean the bathrooms and mop the floors.

DM

District Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsWhat a great global company

ConsGrowth continues to be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat future outlook

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!