Office Depot

2.8
1,399 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

ok, until they shut down Canadian operations

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Victoria, BC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Victoria, BC

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We built a good team in our store. It was fun to work there.
    Office Depot provided good hands on training for managers

Cons

Too American.
    The Canadian division was really run as an afterthought. Office Depot head office had a tough time realizing Canada was a different country, with different attitudes and needs.

If you decide to come back into Canada, hire qualified Canadians who understand the Canadian market. It is different from the US.

below average compensation for a retail position which is low as is.

Current Employee - Customer Services Associate  in  Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Customer Services Associate in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Management was nice and friendly. Everybody there was really nice.

Cons

Low pay. hard to get full time hours. If you have a degree normally retail can eventually lead to some form of management position, not the case with depot. There is only half a dozen jobs in the head office for Canada. based on their lack of success in the Edmonton market, there are little opportunities for store manager job since everyone else will be absorbed as other stores close. Went from four stores four years ago down to one now.

Give up and let staples crush you already.

Good for experience

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

The people I worked with and the customers. It's good experience is you are out of a 2 year college and want to learn the ropes of retail without dealing with too many stupid and irate customers.

Cons

Pay, hours, crappy upper management. The environment at some stores are a little too bland and it's kind of depressing. Business people that come in there rae usually rushed or shirt tempered or just downright stupid. Why is everyone so angry? I don't know what the company is like compared to past times but I do know that a lot of people like it better a few years ago.

Smarten up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice, friendly, and a convenient part-time job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

They were very friendly and understanding. I worked part-time and had great flexibility in setting my schedule and taking time off. The management was very friendly and easy to talk to. They also were not above doing any other employees responsibilities if necessary. There was general respect for people who worked there. If you love technology you got to see and learn about all of the latest consumer products.

Cons

The pay was pretty low, and it got boring during slow times. Even people who had been there a long time were not making that much money. I think pretty much only people working at the corporate level made a good living.

More pay to employees would mean less turnover and better, happier, employees.

i need to find another job and fast!!!

Current Employee - Tech Associate  in  Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Tech Associate in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

good people, fairly easy job, cant really think of any other good reason to work for office depot.

Cons

low pay compared to what most of the market is paying today. apparently you don't need experience to be promoted to assistant manager (e.g. i have 3 1/2 years retail experience and another year at office depot and they promote a guy that has been with office depot less then a year) like wtf!!!, i could go on and write a book of the downsides of working for office depot.

increase the pay to at least $15 an hour so you wont have so many people quitting all the time. git rid of the tsd test, i would have been assistant manager but failed the managers tsd test by 3% so no interview and i work my ass off!!, i will probably be looking for another job pretty soon

Incredible time spent here in this fun, results-driven, progressive sales environment.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company values are solid and non-negotiable. Merger is going much smoother than anticipated with synergies already being realized. Opportunities are always available for innovative, hard working employees.

Cons

Although it has improved greatly during my tenure, our advertising and brand recognition continue to come in second place to our largest competitor.

Good people, bad hours

I worked at Office Depot part-time

Pros

I worked in copy and print. The management was great and gave me the tools I needed to be successful there. I enjoyed my coworkers and problems were always handled well. They stuck to their policies which I appreciated.

Cons

The hours were really inconsistent and the pay wasn't great

6 years in at Office Depot

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management takes their job seriously and Office Depot puts effort into moving their managers careers along.

Cons

High turn over with hourly associates. Most are college students just waiting to move on.

Company that is successfully merging with Max and changing things for the better.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dynamic, fast-paced, changing workplace. Lots of room for local advancement. Good benefits for full-time associates. I miss overtime, but it is nice having time off.

Cons

They recently cut all overtime, even for Assistant Store Managers. Department Managers are now called "Lead Sales Consultants". There doesn't seem to be an emphasis on training, it is all OJT depending on how busy a store normally is. Work-Life balance is good. Three weeks of vacation after five years of service.

It would be great to reinstate overtime when the new company is done merging, although I bet that doesn't come back. It would be a big morale booster. Continue the new commission program. Please consider expanding it or increasing it in some way. Let us wear navy blue and khakis like Office Max does.

entry level job going nowhere

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Wichita, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS (US)

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

good to see into the retail world and see what its all about. learned very basic sales strategies, and not very good teamwork.

Cons

long hours, minimal pay, no benefits, minimal instruction. many of their add on products were far over priced, and their computer scan seemed to be full of it.

care about your employees, don't look at them as labor monkeys

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!