Office Depot

2.9 1,183 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

1,183 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "This was my first job, and i worked in retail as a customer service specialist"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management in B2B isn't kept up to date on all developments"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Staffing sucks to for wanting to have such an interactive customer service program"
    in 55 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

ok, until they shut down Canadian operations

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Victoria, BC

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWe built a good team in our store. It was fun to work there.
Office Depot provided good hands on training for managers

ConsToo American.
The Canadian division was really run as an afterthought. Office Depot head office had a tough time realizing Canada was a different country, with different attitudes and needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you decide to come back into Canada, hire qualified Canadians who understand the Canadian market. It is different from the US.

below average compensation for a retail position which is low as is.

Customer Services Associate (Current Employee)
Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

ProsManagement was nice and friendly. Everybody there was really nice.

ConsLow pay. hard to get full time hours. If you have a degree normally retail can eventually lead to some form of management position, not the case with depot. There is only half a dozen jobs in the head office for Canada. based on their lack of success in the Edmonton market, there are little opportunities for store manager job since everyone else will be absorbed as other stores close. Went from four stores four years ago down to one now.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up and let staples crush you already.

Good for experience

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Office Depot

ProsThe people I worked with and the customers. It's good experience is you are out of a 2 year college and want to learn the ropes of retail without dealing with too many stupid and irate customers.

ConsPay, hours, crappy upper management. The environment at some stores are a little too bland and it's kind of depressing. Business people that come in there rae usually rushed or shirt tempered or just downright stupid. Why is everyone so angry? I don't know what the company is like compared to past times but I do know that a lot of people like it better a few years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmarten up.

Nice, friendly, and a convenient part-time job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Edmonton, AB

I worked at Office Depot

ProsThey were very friendly and understanding. I worked part-time and had great flexibility in setting my schedule and taking time off. The management was very friendly and easy to talk to. They also were not above doing any other employees responsibilities if necessary. There was general respect for people who worked there. If you love technology you got to see and learn about all of the latest consumer products.

ConsThe pay was pretty low, and it got boring during slow times. Even people who had been there a long time were not making that much money. I think pretty much only people working at the corporate level made a good living.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore pay to employees would mean less turnover and better, happier, employees.

i need to find another job and fast!!!

Tech Associate (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Prosgood people, fairly easy job, cant really think of any other good reason to work for office depot.

Conslow pay compared to what most of the market is paying today. apparently you don't need experience to be promoted to assistant manager (e.g. i have 3 1/2 years retail experience and another year at office depot and they promote a guy that has been with office depot less then a year) like wtf!!!, i could go on and write a book of the downsides of working for office depot.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease the pay to at least $15 an hour so you wont have so many people quitting all the time. git rid of the tsd test, i would have been assistant manager but failed the managers tsd test by 3% so no interview and i work my ass off!!, i will probably be looking for another job pretty soon

I found Office Depot to be a very friendly and knowledgable enviornment.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

ProsThe staff was extremely helpful and a pleasure to be with.

ConsI would suggest training for keeping abreast in the computer arena.

Advice to Senior ManagementI found management to be extremely easy to work with and very trustworthy.

An anonymous review for Office Depot.

LOGISTICS SPECIALIST (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

ProsThis is a very good place work.

ConsThe job is only part-time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe small thing really matter.

Analyst

Analyst (Current Employee)
Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible hours depending on manager. Raffles during Christmas time

ConsThe pay raise is very little, is about 2% of your current salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher management get paid very well, they should give some of that to the employees under them

Fun while it lasted....

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsOffice Depot Inc. as a whole is a good company. Customer support and management are good. Internal support very helpful. Flexible work schedule and good pay- if you make your sales goals. Great customers!

ConsI worked for OfficeMax Workplace as an Account Executive for 1 year. My position was elimnated ..Company merger with Office Depot and the restructuring eliminated 200 sales positions and 100 DSM positions- not including other upper management and other positions. Very dissapointed the way were laid off- conference call and given 1 day notice! Very sad the way they treat their loyal hardworking employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees. Treat them with respect. If they are performing well and doing a great job- let them keep their jobs!

very fun

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

Prosit's a great place to work and you have fun everyday. they have great managers and a great support team.

Consnothing i can thinks of

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Office Depot CEO Roland C. Smith. All 1,183 reviews are posted anonymously by Office Depot employees.