Office Depot Reviews

2.8
1,409 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

ok, until they shut down Canadian operations

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Victoria, BC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Victoria, BC

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We built a good team in our store. It was fun to work there.
    Office Depot provided good hands on training for managers

Cons

Too American.
    The Canadian division was really run as an afterthought. Office Depot head office had a tough time realizing Canada was a different country, with different attitudes and needs.

If you decide to come back into Canada, hire qualified Canadians who understand the Canadian market. It is different from the US.

below average compensation for a retail position which is low as is.

Current Employee - Customer Services Associate  in  Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Customer Services Associate in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Management was nice and friendly. Everybody there was really nice.

Cons

Low pay. hard to get full time hours. If you have a degree normally retail can eventually lead to some form of management position, not the case with depot. There is only half a dozen jobs in the head office for Canada. based on their lack of success in the Edmonton market, there are little opportunities for store manager job since everyone else will be absorbed as other stores close. Went from four stores four years ago down to one now.

Give up and let staples crush you already.

Good for experience

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

The people I worked with and the customers. It's good experience is you are out of a 2 year college and want to learn the ropes of retail without dealing with too many stupid and irate customers.

Cons

Pay, hours, crappy upper management. The environment at some stores are a little too bland and it's kind of depressing. Business people that come in there rae usually rushed or shirt tempered or just downright stupid. Why is everyone so angry? I don't know what the company is like compared to past times but I do know that a lot of people like it better a few years ago.

Smarten up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice, friendly, and a convenient part-time job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

They were very friendly and understanding. I worked part-time and had great flexibility in setting my schedule and taking time off. The management was very friendly and easy to talk to. They also were not above doing any other employees responsibilities if necessary. There was general respect for people who worked there. If you love technology you got to see and learn about all of the latest consumer products.

Cons

The pay was pretty low, and it got boring during slow times. Even people who had been there a long time were not making that much money. I think pretty much only people working at the corporate level made a good living.

More pay to employees would mean less turnover and better, happier, employees.

i need to find another job and fast!!!

Current Employee - Tech Associate  in  Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Tech Associate in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

good people, fairly easy job, cant really think of any other good reason to work for office depot.

Cons

low pay compared to what most of the market is paying today. apparently you don't need experience to be promoted to assistant manager (e.g. i have 3 1/2 years retail experience and another year at office depot and they promote a guy that has been with office depot less then a year) like wtf!!!, i could go on and write a book of the downsides of working for office depot.

increase the pay to at least $15 an hour so you wont have so many people quitting all the time. git rid of the tsd test, i would have been assistant manager but failed the managers tsd test by 3% so no interview and i work my ass off!!, i will probably be looking for another job pretty soon

as a manager you are the lifeline of the store

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great bonus potential, customer service focused, room to grow with the company, fast paced environment, company constantly changing to stay ahead in the office supply industry; good corporate support

Cons

micro-managed by DM, long hours, very limited payroll budget, training program needs work, LP department does not support the stores

work on training program; work on a true work/life balance, LP department needs to focus more on controlling shrink than for basic operational standards

Enjoyed working with great people in a challenging environment.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The organization, and the supply chain in particular, are very mature with a healthy appreciation for continuous improvement.

Cons

Capital investments were very carefully considered and only approved after many rounds of detailed analysis and justification. The legacy WMS system was not something that translated into value for other organizations.

Continue to recruit and develop talented individuals that will help take the organization into the future.

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's not hard labor. There is a lot to do. You learn to multitask. We use radios for communication with other employees. Commission opportunities. It's a job.

Cons

The pay is low. You start at minimum wage. Raises come once a year and it's no more than a 3% increase. In 2013, December 25th was the only day that my store was closed. Copy and Print associates do a lot of work and deal with customers in droves but they make the same as everyone else with far fewer opportunities to make commission because they don't have the opportunity to sell tech services and replacement plans.

Decent enough

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees in store are cool, managers try to work around school schedules

Cons

Upper management isn't the greatest, dumb policies

The stores operate without micro managing them, and not every store is the same. Different rules for different stores

Recent Culture Changes Are Not For The Best

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and culture were bright spots of worklife at Office Depot and resources supporting employee success were a top priority pre-merger.

Cons

Limited career advancement opportunities and cultural changes due to the recent merger with OfficeMax have resulted in a decline in organizational resources and talent.

Too many layers of management cause delays and gaps in communication. Talent assessment needs to be a top priority. Personal accountability is lacking in many departments.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!