Office Depot Reviews

2.9
1,721 Reviews
Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal (in 67 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 66 reviews)

1. ok, until they shut down Canadian operations

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Victoria, BC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Victoria, BC

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We built a good team in our store. It was fun to work there.
    Office Depot provided good hands on training for managers

Cons

Too American.
    The Canadian division was really run as an afterthought. Office Depot head office had a tough time realizing Canada was a different country, with different attitudes and needs.

Advice to Management

If you decide to come back into Canada, hire qualified Canadians who understand the Canadian market. It is different from the US.

2. below average compensation for a retail position which is low as is.

Current Employee - Customer Services Associate in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Customer Services Associate in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Management was nice and friendly. Everybody there was really nice.

Cons

Low pay. hard to get full time hours. If you have a degree normally retail can eventually lead to some form of management position, not the case with depot. There is only half a dozen jobs in the head office for Canada. based on their lack of success in the Edmonton market, there are little opportunities for store manager job since everyone else will be absorbed as other stores close. Went from four stores four years ago down to one now.

Advice to Management

Give up and let staples crush you already.

3. Good for experience

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

The people I worked with and the customers. It's good experience is you are out of a 2 year college and want to learn the ropes of retail without dealing with too many stupid and irate customers.

Cons

Pay, hours, crappy upper management. The environment at some stores are a little too bland and it's kind of depressing. Business people that come in there rae usually rushed or shirt tempered or just downright stupid. Why is everyone so angry? I don't know what the company is like compared to past times but I do know that a lot of people like it better a few years ago.

Advice to Management

Smarten up.

5. Nice, friendly, and a convenient part-time job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

They were very friendly and understanding. I worked part-time and had great flexibility in setting my schedule and taking time off. The management was very friendly and easy to talk to. They also were not above doing any other employees responsibilities if necessary. There was general respect for people who worked there. If you love technology you got to see and learn about all of the latest consumer products.

Cons

The pay was pretty low, and it got boring during slow times. Even people who had been there a long time were not making that much money. I think pretty much only people working at the corporate level made a good living.

Advice to Management

More pay to employees would mean less turnover and better, happier, employees.

i need to find another job and fast!!!

Current Employee - Tech Associate in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Tech Associate in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

good people, fairly easy job, cant really think of any other good reason to work for office depot.

Cons

low pay compared to what most of the market is paying today. apparently you don't need experience to be promoted to assistant manager (e.g. i have 3 1/2 years retail experience and another year at office depot and they promote a guy that has been with office depot less then a year) like wtf!!!, i could go on and write a book of the downsides of working for office depot.

Advice to Management

increase the pay to at least $15 an hour so you wont have so many people quitting all the time. git rid of the tsd test, i would have been assistant manager but failed the managers tsd test by 3% so no interview and i work my ass off!!, i will probably be looking for another job pretty soon

Copy & Print Specialist

Current Employee - CPD Specialist in Pearland, TX (US)
    Current Employee - CPD Specialist in Pearland, TX (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy interview, flexible work schedules, many locations to work (including Office Max Stores), employee discount, negotiable pay and commission on protection plans and services sold.

Cons

The Office Max merge & possible buy out by Staples is confusing for customers and employees. Registers and store equipment are old and should be replaced but corporate will not approve, some of management is either too intimidating, too nice or too lazy.

Advice to Management

Management is too caught up in customer service. I'm told that I can and cannot do or say certain things with customers but anytime an issue arises like a bin label error I am forced to override 20-40 dollars and sometimes more off transactions just too "take care of the customer". They enforce mobile transactions on copy and print employees when we don't have time, and are very strict on handing out computer health check info business cards.

8. Rewarding

Former Employee - Instructional Design Contractor in Pompano Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Instructional Design Contractor in Pompano Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Office Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mutual respect among different teams and within the same team.

Cons

I cannot think of anything negative to say about my experience at Office Depot.

Advice to Management

Don't sell.

9. 23 year legacy employee

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Florissant, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Florissant, MO (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Until the recent merger with OfficeMax, always felt Office Depot respected their employees.

Cons

Since the merger with OfficeMax, there is not as much work/life balance and they took away holiday pay for full time store employees.

10. Cashier

I worked at Office Depot part-time

Pros

At times it is easy because it is slow in the store. Your job is pretty simple, just checking out customers.

Cons

It can be incredibly slow and boring, but also incredibly stressful during rush hours and lunch time. Also it can be physically taxing to stand for hours on end staring into a room full of office supplies.

Advice to Management

Just focus on great customer service and not overwhelming the customers with help. Many customers get upset at this and also when things are not happening fast enough, so it is a matter of figuring out how to get those customers to either come at different times of day or be able to handle more customers during high volume times.

11. Good working environment

I have been working at Office Depot part-time

Pros

Great working environment at my current store.

Cons

Hourly pay is not the best.