Office Depot Reviews

2.8
1,460 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 64 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

ok, until they shut down Canadian operations

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Victoria, BC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Victoria, BC

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We built a good team in our store. It was fun to work there.
    Office Depot provided good hands on training for managers

Cons

Too American.
    The Canadian division was really run as an afterthought. Office Depot head office had a tough time realizing Canada was a different country, with different attitudes and needs.

If you decide to come back into Canada, hire qualified Canadians who understand the Canadian market. It is different from the US.

below average compensation for a retail position which is low as is.

Current Employee - Customer Services Associate in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Customer Services Associate in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Management was nice and friendly. Everybody there was really nice.

Cons

Low pay. hard to get full time hours. If you have a degree normally retail can eventually lead to some form of management position, not the case with depot. There is only half a dozen jobs in the head office for Canada. based on their lack of success in the Edmonton market, there are little opportunities for store manager job since everyone else will be absorbed as other stores close. Went from four stores four years ago down to one now.

Give up and let staples crush you already.

Good for experience

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

The people I worked with and the customers. It's good experience is you are out of a 2 year college and want to learn the ropes of retail without dealing with too many stupid and irate customers.

Cons

Pay, hours, crappy upper management. The environment at some stores are a little too bland and it's kind of depressing. Business people that come in there rae usually rushed or shirt tempered or just downright stupid. Why is everyone so angry? I don't know what the company is like compared to past times but I do know that a lot of people like it better a few years ago.

Smarten up.

Nice, friendly, and a convenient part-time job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

They were very friendly and understanding. I worked part-time and had great flexibility in setting my schedule and taking time off. The management was very friendly and easy to talk to. They also were not above doing any other employees responsibilities if necessary. There was general respect for people who worked there. If you love technology you got to see and learn about all of the latest consumer products.

Cons

The pay was pretty low, and it got boring during slow times. Even people who had been there a long time were not making that much money. I think pretty much only people working at the corporate level made a good living.

More pay to employees would mean less turnover and better, happier, employees.

i need to find another job and fast!!!

Current Employee - Tech Associate in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Tech Associate in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

good people, fairly easy job, cant really think of any other good reason to work for office depot.

Cons

low pay compared to what most of the market is paying today. apparently you don't need experience to be promoted to assistant manager (e.g. i have 3 1/2 years retail experience and another year at office depot and they promote a guy that has been with office depot less then a year) like wtf!!!, i could go on and write a book of the downsides of working for office depot.

increase the pay to at least $15 an hour so you wont have so many people quitting all the time. git rid of the tsd test, i would have been assistant manager but failed the managers tsd test by 3% so no interview and i work my ass off!!, i will probably be looking for another job pretty soon

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work with great opportunity for advancement. Great company to learn all aspects of retail and customer service.

Cons

Compensation is not as good as other retail chains with long hours. Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results the company wants/

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Office Depot as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

All-in-all, my team, which is the mobile team is by far the most exciting team I have ever worked with.

Cons

Jobs have their own down sides. Some times I get very busy and over burden myself.

Keep it up

It was an okay job if you worked "full-time."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Garland, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Garland, TX (US)

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a fairly simple and easy job. Great coworkers, great managers and very cooperative and flexible to your needs.

Cons

Very routine day to day job. Same thing different day. Corporate is very cheap. Under payed work. No more than 30 hours a week. Incredibly hard to get a raise.

Good Enviroment, Friendly Management

Former Employee - Tech Associate in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Tech Associate in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Customers, Commision and Base Pay, Good Hours

Cons

Can get hectic, you have to know how to do everything in the store at any given moment

Communicate

I loved working for Office Depot.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Waxahachie, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Waxahachie, TX (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast advancement, good hours, good pay. I enjoyed the people I worked with. Fun, friendly atmosphere. I had fun at work most days

Cons

Always changing policies, hard to keep up with all the changes sometimes. There isn't usually enough staffing and cross training for the CPD

Listen to your employees. They're the ones working on the front lines every day and they just may know another way to do things that will make business run more smoothly.