OANDA Reviews

Updated 9 August, 2014
Updated 9 August, 2014

2.4

Edmond Eger III

Great people, management not great in some places

I have been working at OANDA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free drinks and lunches and snacks. The people are great and historically, OANDA has been really good at keeping talent and treating their people well.

Cons

A significant amount of volatility in the company and almost no career growth opportunity within the customer service department. There is definitely a cultural divide and this causes many misunderstandings

Find out who the valuable people are and trust them.

RE: The Truth from a Marketing Employee

Current Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at OANDA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Some of the smartest people I ever met.
    • Correction (There is no lunch twice a week for quite some time now.)
    • Breakfast Mondays, Dinner Tuesdays, Lunch Wednesdays
    • A lot of perks, you can view them in our recruitment site.

Cons

It's too bad some people feel so negatively about management in the marketing team. I can understand some individuals are frustrated about their managers, however there are no perfect work environments.

Just a note to the individual who claims to be a current employee. There are a few points you have mentioned in your review that tell me that you have not worked here within the last 6 months. Please do not post that you are a current employee. It makes the current team look bad.

Currently our managers do work to get the best experience for us to the best of their ability while also managing their everyday responsibilities.

It is unfair to the managers and to the reader to be misinformed. Our managers ARE able perform.

The Truth from a Marketing Employee

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON

I have been working at OANDA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

free lunch twice a week
    not much else

Cons

Have you ever worked in a place where your manager was COMPLETELY CLUELESS? Welcome to Oanda's marketing team. Don't let the LinkedIn profiles fool you either, there's no 'Director-level' skill here. The sad part here is that I'm not even trying to be mean. When your creative director pulls out a ruler to measure pixels, you've got a SERIOUS problem!

Go find a new job, one where you actually can contribute instead of holding the team back with your astounding level of ignorance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern decent perks, fun people

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at OANDA as an intern for less than a year

Pros

for the most part people are friendly and open.

Cons

recent layoffs, perks diminishing

Disrespect the people who works there. Senior management sucks!

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

Casual culture. People who works there is very smart and cool.

Cons

Unable senior management. .
    Unable communication between management level and their staff.

Stop wasting time on politic and fight for your personal benefits but really do set down and listen what your staff is thinking.

Once great company

I worked at OANDA full-time

Pros

- Casual, open environment, but becoming less so as company tries to grow
    - Decent benefits and vacation time
    - Strong, but unfortunately shrinking group of lower to mid level experienced, intelligent employees
    - Decent technology

Cons

- Employees who actually get meaningful work done and try to help the business are mostly lower level/lower paid
    - Too many mostly useless upper level employees compared to those lower down who actually know what's going on and do the work
    - Has gone from lean and profitable to overstaffed and disorganized
    - Seems to be all about appearance now, no substance

Too many new, overpaid, higher level employees that have very little knowledge of the company or business. Try listening to the good, longer term employees who built a strong company. Currently being destroyed by new ownership/board, and executives with a lot of bad ideas

Awesome job out of college, but not more

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at OANDA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending which team you join, you'll learn a lot. Culture under Michael Stumm used to be awesome. But I hear it is changing now.

Cons

Unless you do something really extraordinary, like have a smoke break with management, there is really no way to grow. Many people feel unappreciated despite putting long hours to execute the company vision. Thus getting recognition and raise is almost impossible.

In technology business, your staff is your biggest asset. There are a lot of smart people in OANDA don't treat them like they are stupid.

Extremely disorganized

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

It was great under Michael Stumm. Flat structure and work used to get done quickly and efficiently. Free lunch once a week.

Cons

We have a new CEO and he's ok so far. K Duker is still hanging around after the transition period and no one knows what he is doing even though he dishes out work and chimes in once in a while on emails. Also not sure what the interim CFO is up to as he is getting most of his buddies involved with the company. A lot of the employees are disengaged and there are no clear steps that will be taken to achieve the unrealistic task of doubling revenue this year.

It is great to set high goals but please let the employees know how these goals will be achieved. At this point, an IPO is nothing but wishful thinking.

A good company gone bad

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at OANDA full-time

Pros

Good environment and friendly people. If there is one team that I would recommend joining, it would be the mobile team. It's awesome participating in hackathons and other social events. Free lunches twice a week.

Cons

There are more managers, Directors and VPs on a project than actual developers who can do the work. I hear the company went from a very flat structure to another extreme. I also can't say people are passionate about their work. It seems many are there to do their day-to-day job without putting in any extra effort. Good luck dealing with HR, it's all about pleasing the agencies. I see lots of pain and transformation for this company if it has any chance of succeeding.

The targets for the year are unreal and everyone knows that. Sr. Management has not explained how is it even possible to achieve them for two years in a row. Get some good recruiters and stop using agencies and contractors. There is no culture of transparency at all.

i will tell you what is actually happening here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

rock-solid technical infrastructure, well-oiled money making machine 24/7, the money machine is so well tuned that it's almost impossible to break it

Cons

new incompetent senior management team, i.e. K Duker and the suckups, who don't actually know anything about the business. glad they are finally being fired by the board. hopefully the new CEO can patch the wounds. yet to be seen.

It took 10+ years of financial research and hard core software development to get the machinery to be where it is now. Even the incredibly incompetent K Duker was unable to destroy it. But he did manage to drive away, with his relentless BS, a lot of core employees who made the place what it is today.

So, new CEO, don't pretend to know what you don't know like K did, and listen to your employees, because some of them know way more about FX marketmaking business than you do.

Worked for OANDA? Contribute to the Community!