Novartis

www.novartis.com

Novartis Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Novartis CEO Joseph (Joe) Jimenez Jr.

Joseph (Joe) Jimenez Jr.

Pros
  • Work life balance can be achieved if you prioritize it (in 14 reviews)

• Great products, challenging environment, good pay and benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There are different cultural norms for work/life balance depending on site & business unit (in 11 reviews)

• People loosing focus on business due to senior management style (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Big company, low salaries?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsGreat learning opportunities. Excellent company to start your career. Pipeline is broad and promising. Science driven. Career opportunities are real.

ConsSalaries always below market average forces talents to leave. Micromanagement. Oncology pipeline taking too long to take off.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees with better salaries.

Mixed

Regional Key Account Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsBecause it is such a diverse organization there are several areas for career growth.

ConsPoor planning. Many lay offs. Too conservative.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your financial investment in strategic planning.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) East Hanover, NJ (US)

ProsWorking there as a contract employee. In my department, we are treated the same as the Novartis employees. There are ample opportunities to learn and expand your skill sets. Everyone in my group is very supportive and is willing to help/train each other. We all work together well as a team. The department morale is good and very fortunate to work with a great group of people. Excellent learning experience and being new to the role, I was paired up with a mentor while I learned on the job vs. being thrown work with no guidance or instruction.

ConsAt this time there are no permanent openings in my department and no plans for backfill if someone leaves. Keeping an eye out for other permanent job opportunities within the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Prepare for challenges and rewards to match

Senior Insights Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood growth opportunities for strong performers. On the job learning is encouraged and valued. Benefit of thousands of collective years of experience of colleagues to learn from in a matrix structure.

ConsExpectations are very high and workload would not leave you with a lot of time to really think through things. Prepare for frequent organizational and leadership changes. If you don't manage change very well, this is probably not the place for you.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overall Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSolid benefits packages, awards etc., phase II/III pipeline products

Consinability of Senior Leadership to properly forecast inorganic growth and new product approvals, which has led to the displacement of close to 3000 representatives across several divisions over the past 4/5 years.

Contractor - Learning Management Systems Administrator

Learning Management Systems Associate (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsThere are ton's of interesting events going on all of the time. Each month they hold a big Fiesta for the employees with more food than you can imagine. Also they have discussion forums and open events for employees to learn more about the science Novartis is working on.

ConsIt is a big company, you can get lost in the shuffle. I have been a contractor for over a year and a half.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really.

political company

Prosmoney, but very little else unfortunately as the right culture and people are moving to better companies recently, due to the highly unprofessional leadership in certain functions at the top

Consall else, right culture and people are moving to better companies recently, due to the highly unprofessional leadership in certain functions at the top

Advice to Senior Managementincrease transparency

overall experience

Proswork life balance, overall compensation

Consenvironment stuck with processes and bureaucracy

operator

Production (Current Employee) Humacao, PR (US)

Prosi work because i need the job experience

ConsFDA training,GMP training, safety training

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Ancient Systems with no Usability Considerations

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Prague (Czech Republic)

Pros> Work on projects with a global impact
    > If you are looking for a very corporate old-fashioned company that doesn't like change, and doesn't snow any interest in modern technology, then you might be happy here.

Cons> Internal documentation an absolute usability horror.
    > No interest in modernizing systems in the name of 'security' without even understanding what modern security looks like.

Advice to Senior ManagementUsability testing - everyone should read two books: "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug and "From Good to Great" by James Collins. If you would re-organize the intranet, get rid of the fat and modernize the way that documentation is handled, you would become 5,000% more efficient.

Worked for Novartis? Contribute to the Community!