Northwestern University

Updated 31 October, 2014
4.0

Northwestern University President Morton Schapiro
Morton Schapiro

Pros
  • People are friendly, pay is decent and they're generally pretty good about work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great Benefits- Can get great tuition assistance and healthcare benefits (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance options available (in 9 reviews)

• Not enough compensation for graduate students, some students take competition very negatively (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

it is an amazing university

I have been working at Northwestern University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

i worked at northwestern uni. because they have provide me very good salary with amazing benefits. i would recomend ths place for everyone. job is easy and fun to work with everyone in this uni.

Cons

cant say so much about cons, because almost everything went perfect since i start working with this uni.

good place to have carrier

Very interesting work experience in a very niche field of work.

Former Employee - Center for Forced Migration Studies in Evanston, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Center for Forced Migration Studies in Evanston, IL (US)

I worked at Northwestern University as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours were generally flexible, my supervisor was an expert in her field and really helped me understand the area of asylum law and refugee resettlement better. I loved being able to help a few people directly but also able to amass a large amount of information for others in the field to consume. This job was also great for networking, as we constantly met other professionals in the field.

Cons

Could have been more organization of how interns communicated their projects to one another.

Conservative administration, but Research Freedom

Former Employee - Graduate Student in Evanston, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Student in Evanston, IL (US)

I worked at Northwestern University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Northwestern has a very bright undergraduate and graduate population, and the faculty are very involved in their research careers, providing a fantastic academic research environment. The campuses in Evanston and Chicago provide a nice contrast and multiple options for the types of lifestyle someone might want.

Cons

As a graduate student, the general benefits and salary are fairly competitive with lower tier universities, but somewhat lacking behind the universities Northwestern would like to compare itself to. Overall, while much of the research being conducted is top-tier, there is still a general conservative air about the administration that might inhibit more daring research to be conducted.

If graduate students had benefits and salaries that were a bit more 'mature,' particularly during their later years, then I think it would produce a more competitive research environment where the graduate students felt more like active researchers rather than students. It can be difficult to transition to an independent researcher when you're perpetually stuck being treated as a student or research assistant.

Fun

I have been working at Northwestern University

Pros

Very good place to work. Fast pace and fun

Cons

Always busy, buts that's not always bad!

NU

Current Employee - Student in Evanston, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Student in Evanston, IL (US)

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great school, great teacher,good environment

Cons

homework is long and lengthy

Great

I have been working at Northwestern University

Pros

I liked working here because everyone was friendly and I thought the environment was cool and whatnot.

Cons

There we rent really any cons I thought te place was very professional and stuff

Cozy atmosphere that most people enjoy.

I have been working at Northwestern University

Pros

Evanston is a nice college town with many delicious restaurants, and it's directly next to campus. The train system is really close as well, making trips to Chicago convenient and easy.

Cons

Workload can be a lot, especially with the quarter system that makes midterms very frequent. Also, the weather can be hard for some people to adjust to.

Please consider updating/remodeling more dorms, specifically Sargent, PARC, and Plex.

I would recommend working at NU

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Northwestern University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good office culture, interesting fabrication work, great nanotechnology facility, good colleauges, I have been here only for six months so I am still understanding the ambience of my work

Cons

low compensation,long hours sometimes, I have been here only for six months so I am still understanding the ambience of my work

Software developer at the Center for Connected Learning at Northwestern University.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Evanston, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Evanston, IL (US)

I worked at Northwestern University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good experience writing industry-grade educational modeling software.

Cons

Internship was unpaid; deadlines were, at times, unclear or vague; office is a bit less active in the summer then it is during the school year (i.e. less people working).

Talented Colleagues and very collaborative enviroment

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Evanston, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Evanston, IL (US)

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people to work with.
    Great Transportation Library.
    Access to one of world best business school: Kellogg.
    Next to Lake Michigan, great view

Cons

Cold winter in Chicago
    Limited career fair/opportunities for graduate student

Northwestern University Photos