Northwestern Mutual

3.7
1,611 Reviews

Northwestern Mutual Chairman and CEO John E. Schlifske
John E. Schlifske

Pros
  • Unlimited income potential, office culture, ten week program (test drive the industry) (in 56 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some (in 119 reviews)

• There is no base salary so getting started is very difficult (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

- Good food
    - Stable work environment
    - Room for growth
    - Location - right in the heart of Milwaukee

Cons

I loved everything about working here!

I loved my job here!

Great company

Current Employee - College Financial Representative
    Current Employee - College Financial Representative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone wants you to succeed and are willing to help you. This is not a regular internship. You actually do what real advisers do. I've learned a lot about the finance industry working with Northwestern. There's a huge opportunity to make a lot of money here.

Cons

This job is only commission based. It's a hard job especially reaching out to people to make appointments with you.

Financial Representative Intern

I worked at Northwestern Mutual

Pros

There is help from people that are willing to help you everywhere you turn

Cons

Difficult, but if you put in the effort it will pay off.

Good experience

Current Intern - College Financial Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Intern - College Financial Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great training program. Lots of support in network offices. Great risk based planning tools

Cons

High turnover rate. 100% commission based. Very stressful at times trying to hit goals

Give new reps access to the CRC. Spend more time teaching investment tools and products.

Challenging and Rewarding

Former Intern - College Financial Representative in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Intern - College Financial Representative in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunities, highly regarded internship program, amazing onboarding and training, flexibility, the opportunity to work with highly competent and successful financial advisors, fantastic personal development (especially courage), and the chance to run your financial services practice

Cons

Must have a large network of contacts prior to starting the internship, must handle rejection on a daily basis and be able to battle objections on life insurance, requires a lot of energy overall, must have the courage to call people you've never met before

Continue to be motivating and aggressive with representatives to keep driving revenue

Northwestern Mutual holds true to its values, and the culture and quality of this organization is amazing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to set your own schedule, Be your own boss, the financial stability of the organization is amazing, the culture and values of the organization is the best that I have ever experienced, awesome office culture, co workers want to see you succeed, great training, great infrastructure, unparalleled sales process with the tools to make anyone successful if you believe in what you are doing.

Cons

You are 1099 and there are a lot of expenses that you have to pay that other companies would normally pay for you. you can make higher commissions elsewhere.

Overall the management in my Network office is amazing and you have built a great culture for personal and professional development.

Secure, Steady, but Not as Lucrative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good job security, Free Lunch, Good social setting.

Cons

Career ladder slow, benefits keep getting chopped.

Promote more within the teams and don't force people to move to advance their careers.

No potential for advancement unless you want to harass your family and friends.

Former Employee - Assistant to Financial Representative in Fairfield, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant to Financial Representative in Fairfield, CA (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My boss gave me a flexible schedule, and the work environment was pleasant. I learned a lot about the insurance industry, since I knew nothing before working there.

Cons

I wasn't given opportunities to learn about the investment side of the business. I just churned out life insurance applications day after day. The only way to move up was to become a rep--which would mean calling 200 of my closest friends and family and pushing insurance products.

Provide a clear path for career advancement, and provide more/better training. I had to learn everything myself!

College financial rep intern

Current Intern - College Financial Representative
    Current Intern - College Financial Representative

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

$100/week stipend
    Ability to earn commission
    Great working atmosphere from what I've experienced
    Ability to make my own schedule
    Mentor that challenged
    Great business experience

Cons

I did the internship for 2 semesters and loved it initially. I was doing really well in sales, had a great intenship mentor that worked very closely with me, and there were talks about becoming a full time representative. However, my feelings for a job in this career field started to change during the second semester. I just started to feel like my salary would be totally dependent on other people due to the commission pay. I wasn't 100% sure if that was how I wanted to start right out of college so I chose not to stay with the company.

Northwestern Mutual Photos