Northrop Grumman

3.4
1,743 Reviews

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush
Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 121 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, 9/80 schedule gives you every other Friday off (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff (in 49 reviews)

• Very large company sometimes takes longer to get things done (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Satisfying

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great People. Benefits are competitive. Leave policy is very good. Variety of programs and opportunities to keep employees challenged.

Cons

Personnel levels tend to be understaffed for surge levels. Requirements for promotions not clearly defined. Not immune from office politics.

Work on retention of workers with mid level experience.

New to big business, feeling confident thanks to NG

Current Employee - PDP Business Management  in  Elkridge, MD (US)
    Current Employee - PDP Business Management in Elkridge, MD (US)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for less than a year

Pros

Plenty of room to grow, they allow flexibility in moving both vertically and laterally in order to increase your network and on-the job experience.
    Big company=big opportunites in this case

Cons

Communication is hard in such a larg company, all about who you know and knowing who to call.
    Can be difficult when first starting out creating your network.

Diverse Company with Potential

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

Large company with diverse offerings. Opportunity to get involved in a variety of different projects. Potential for growth if you push the envelope.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy and politics. Extensive networking and use of who you know required to move around. Lots of senior folks just waiting retirement hanging around.

Still very defense minded. Need to adopt a more commercial perspective particularly when it comes to promoting talent and recognizing those with potential. The earn your time model is not successful. Talent continues to walk out the door to more aggressive and forward thinking companies.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Great people and managers to work with

Cons

Not easy to be promoted

Make it easier to be promoted and get raises

Big company benefits, big company cons

Current Employee - College Technical Intern
    Current Employee - College Technical Intern

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for less than a year

Pros

I work in manufacturing, the leadership is quite good and the training is comprehensive. The compensation is great, and there is a lot of room to move around in the org structure, try new things, and find your niche. I also enjoy a challenge, and there is no shortage of that at NG.

Cons

It's a big company, so there are always new procedures and often new coworkers. Occasionally, supervisors seem disconnected from technicians and management. It can also be very easy to get lost in the crowd at a company this size.

Awesome projects but stiff environment

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Northrop Grumman as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Even as an intern I got to work on some amazing projects that were actually important to the company. Also many of my co-workers were very passionate about there work.

Cons

While I did have a 9/80 schedule, the workday was normally 7-5. The office environment was also a little uptight most of the time.

Remove the need to start workdays at 7am and provide clearer instruction on desired execution of projects

A challenging and successful career path!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer IV
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer IV

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I believe the 21 years at Northrop Grumman was rewarding because I was lucky enough to work for a superior manager who was always available and helpful when needed. His support was the element that kept the program on track throughout. He also challenged his staff to succeed beyond normal expectations...and most of us did!

Cons

The only downside I was able to identify is the fact that Northrop Grumman management did not proactively build relationships with the customer to any great extent. I believe day to day communication would have been improved if there had been more involvement with Northrop Grumman management.

Upper management should be more involved and proactively available to working level employees. The relationship between upper management and the customer was sporadic at best.

Great place to start & build foundation for government defense contracting.

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Experience on contracts and programs contributing to the security of our country; educational benefits, paid time off, almost two weeks vacation during Christmas & New Years.

Cons

Personnel are not always guided in a direction that promotes initiative, hard work, and lack of rewards or recognition for those that do.

People are your most important asset and relationships with customers, suppliers, and communities are vitally as critical to sustained performance - so be careful who you hire and ensure the workplace is structured for growth and expansion of skill sets and professional development.

Appreciate and encourage Staff

Former Employee - Contracts  in  McLean, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Contracts in McLean, VA (US)

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Provides guidance and support and training of staff as needed. Structure and policies and procedures are adhered to by everyone. They also respect their employees and value opinions.

Cons

Not all members of group have similar experiences and have worked with large companies.

This is a well run company that seems to be on top of things industry-wide and is a good place to work.

Growing

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Melbourne, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Melbourne, FL (US)

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people to work with, all would work hard to accomplish technical goals.

Cons

Growth potential. Basic work was to make my bosses get promotions and bonuses while I worked 60+ hours a week. Was told that I have to put in my time, and that when I was 25+ years in the company, that it would be my turn to have people work hard for me.

Create more opportunity for growth for newer employees

Northrop Grumman Photos

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!