Northrop Grumman

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.4 1,663 reviews

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush

Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 121 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, 9/80 schedule gives you every other Friday off (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff (in 49 reviews)

• Very large company sometimes takes longer to get things done (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights
1,663 Employee Reviews

Great place with good people

EH&S (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsGood job stability and chance to learn

ConsPoor managment, look out for themselves and not their employees more worried about their money instead of ensuring employees have what they need.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork for you people not against them

Great Company, Bad Situation

Database Administrator (Current Employee) Suffolk, VA (US)

ProsThe company will work through pay issues quickly and if you are entitled more money they ensure that you get it very quickly. Great benefits, the salary is competitive, and the educational benefits are excellent. Employees get discounts with other companies like rental cars and hotels.

ConsThe area for professional growth is limited, some of the management personnel have been in their position too long and should probably be retired or sent somewhere else. Working out of an outlining site instead of a corporate office is challenging.

Program Planner Sr.

Program Planner (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA (US)

ProsExcellent benefits and pay. People work well together

ConsLong way to drive. Facility located near LAX.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to mix young and older employees in a fair way. Too many younger employees were being promoted over seasoned veteran employees. Not good for cohesiveness.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Northrop Grumman a company worth working with,

Field Engineer II (Former Employee) Lawton, OK (US)

ProsPay, people, training and benefits with Northrop Grumman were outstanding. Very technical environment.

ConsWork-life balance was hard because of many deployments and travel but it was clearly stated in the interview.

Great company to work for

Subcontracts Manager (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsGood Salary, Liked Office Environment

ConsLong hours, Isolation from others in company, not much interaction between programs

A company with a strong mission and brilliant engineers

ProsMeaniningful work, saving lives of our service men and women.
    Great work life balance
    Lots of people who care about development

ConsSometimes have a military leadership view, some managers are not so good.
    Falls for gimmicky ways of measuring employee happiness sometimes loses track of great employees

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of that stupid Gallup poll, it drives out great managers

Overall very good, but layoff possible

Mechanical Engineer III (Current Employee)

ProsPositive and ethical company culture. Big on benefits, however they have been shrinking since the great recession. Their compensation is hard to beat.

ConsAerospace work can be up and down. Could be laid off, but could be hired again later.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways treat people with respect and give them the benefit of doubt.

Northrop Grumman Corporation, a great place to work!

Systems Engineer IV (Former Employee) Vienna, VA (US)

ProsNorthrop Grumman has excellent benefits and a long tradition of delivering exceptional products. I enjoyed the business relationships I had with my colleages and managers over my many years of employment. I was able to develop and expand my engineering skills and knowledge. I was given multiple opportunities to support other team members. In addition, I was chosen to contribute to several proposal efforts over the course of my 21 years with the company.

ConsThe office culture was generally supportive and positive. However, upper management was not actively involved with the program. In addition, the company did not actively support skill development for its workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest that upper management make themselves more available to employees, have regularly scheduled meetings to foster better communication and support for those working with the client on behalf of the company. I also think that company officers could do a better job of communicating with the customer on a regular basis and in person.

Hard to get things done but great experience and opportunity.

College Intern Technical (Current Employee) Bethpage, NY (US)

ProsGreat, smart co-workers. Flexible 9/80 workweek. Easy to be returned as an intern.

ConsTook a long time to get officially hired. Hard to find work to do. Lack of direction for interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize better and hand some work down.

Has its issues, but best large company to work for

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL (US)

ProsMany managers do listen to what you have to say. The company does its best to take care of its employees, including having a system to reassign people to other projects as needed. You don't need to feel like you're applying all over again for a job every time your project ends.

ConsBudgets are tight, and getting tighter. Some middle managers ignore lower-level problems from their own upper management. Some areas are "stuck in the past" with little ability for professional growth without going into management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNote the cons above.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!