Nordstrom

3,232 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
2,080 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 129 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 120 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

167 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The best internship to have

Former Employee - Retail Management in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Management in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Great work environment
    Employees/interns/ management really want to work and be there
    Commision based allows for healthy competition between employees/ interns
    All the hard work is worth it.

Cons

Little work/ life balance
    A couple nights in the store until 1- 2 am

Offer a more structured schedule.

Okay if you get a manager that cares about their employees

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

It's fun when you are working with individuals who help you in finding your selling style. Once you find what works for you the reward of your hard work and your paycheck makes it all better.

Cons

The employees can be VERY catty and childish. You get pushed to continuously call customers to attempt to get them in the store on slow days and during snow storms. What's the logic in that?! Some people are very unethical and will steal your customers and claim them as their own if you're not careful. Also you are REQUIRED to work EVERY WEEKEND. Also they don't announce the store is closing until 15-20minutes after the closing time because they are money hungry.

You do not need to schedule 20 people to work everyday. It would be wise to enforce instead of having to work every weekend, how about every other weekend. People do have lives outside of the company.

Nice work, if you can get it!

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My overall experience with Nordstrom is very mixed. I started here, fresh out of college and with nothing to lose. Here are some points:
    + Promotions plentiful; they hire from within.
    There is a lot of opportunity to grow with Nordstrom, and mobility is always a great perk.
    + Commissioned sales allows you to build your own paycheck
    You make what you sell! Best advice is to study your product and know what is trending. Listen to customers and their requests, and help them from there.
    + Building your own business
    When you have worked for Nordstrom for over a month you are allotted your own business cards! This is fantastic, because they are professional, and allow you to continue a relationship with a customer and so that they know their business was appreciated. I give customers business cards after a positive transaction so that they know that I'd love to shop with them, and to contact me when thinking about their shopping needs. I also give out business cards after ordering products for them, so that they are aware that they can contact me with any questions, tracking info or concerns.
    + Great benefits!
    I can't rave enough about my benefits; through Nordstrom, I currently have dental insurance and a 401K. When the time comes, I will seek health insurance too. Discount isn't bad either, with special days where you can save 40% on Nordstrom brand products and a week in December where your discount is elevated from 20 to 30%.
    + They encourage a work life balance
    With the exception of holiday months (End of October-December), my work-life balance is great. This is a retail job, however, and you must work weekends and nights. This can change the longer you work there, and the higher you are ranked. I now have off on Sundays and am rarely at work after 7 pm. The balance is truly more of a reward, and building your sales helps!

Cons

+ Commissioned sales can lead to bratty and a toxic environment.
    While I love being on commission, it does come with a hefty price! The politics of commissioned sales oftentimes leads to hurt feelings and cat fights. I have gone to HR multiple times on a coworker of mine who steals sales, bullies people (particularly me) and can be downright rude to management and even customers. However, my coworker has been with the company for 10+ years and is a pacesetter, and it is because my coworker is a top earner that nothing serious has ever been done about them. You can get so caught up in the politics that it affects your sales and the relationships around you.
    + There used to be high standards for new hires. Now, not so much.
    I started a little under three years ago for Nordstrom. Back then, you needed to have a rather strong background in sales and/or marketing, a stellar customer service background with thorough sales training that lasted a week. Now, most of my department is inundated with people younger than 22 who can't get their priorities straight (i.e. attendance issues, attitudes), weren't properly trained to handle commissioned sales and didn't learn the ethics and values of Nordstrom upon being hired. And it's not just my department, it's everywhere!
    + While promotions are always offered, they aren't always worth it.
    Financially speaking, as a sales associate I make more than any assistant manager, maybe even some managers. They put in so much work to driving the department's business, and are paid so very little for it. They are indeed expected to sell, but when can they find the time while driving a business? Of course, in order to get ANYWHERE in the company you have to jump through the ring of fire that is management.
    + Manic Management
    I have had a grand total of four managers in my three years with the company. Two fabulous; the other two horrendous. The two managers that were fabulous were bonafide LEADERS: they had passion for their department and team, they cared for the wellbeing of their staff and colleagues, and strived to create a positive work environment for the team. The horrendous ones were true managers: authoritative, cold, and completely dedicated to their job in all the wrong ways. They were in it for the numbers, they micromanaged, and had little to no respect for the staff and their colleagues. Truth be told, readers, the LEADERS acquired positive results for department sales. It doesn't pay to be cruel.

Aspire to be a LEADER! A manager plans, strive to be authoritative in every aspect. Micromanaging is the last thing you should do. Leaders have followers, and they inspire their followers to be the best that they can be. Managers tell their subordinates who they want them to be, for the department. Managers are controlling; leaders are passionate.

Good company to work for but compensation is a struggle

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

-promotes from within
    -management will help you grow if you express interest and they think you're qualified
    -commission: great during the holidays
    -morning rallies get you pumped up for the day
    -flexible schedule: management lets you swap days with coworkers if need be

Cons

Commission sales people, no base pay: this can be a good an bad thing. It's great during the holidays when the store is busy and it really does push you to give better customer service, but it can make sales people too pushy. You definitely have to have a certain personality to work on commission.

The departments can get over staffed. This makes it very difficult to achieve sales goals when there are 9 sales people and few customers during slow times.

dont hire extra full time people for the holidays when it's busy then keep them on after holidays when it's slow because then all our hours get bumped back and are not full time. Instead hire extra help as seasonal employees.

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It commission based so if you put a lot of work in and enjoy your job the possibilities are endless.

Cons

Shopping online is becoming more popular so you can not predict business. Customers taking advantage of the return policy. To move up in the comp nays you have to take a big pay cut

Very fun people to work with,but management needs work.

Former Employee - Mens Department Sales in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Mens Department Sales in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

The environment is fun and fast paced. The pay isn't bad either. They are very flexible with your schedule and its very family orientated.

Cons

The biggest challenge was not enough training from management. They just put people on the sales floor with no training on product knowledge which sucks when your on commission only and have no experience selling this merchandise.

Train your team members more and you will get better results.

Great seasonal work

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Great pay. Works with the schedule of a college student.

Cons

Commission is less if you're seasonal.
    You never get more than a day off at a time. No weekends.

5 days of work for 2 days off, it doesn't have to be a weekend, weekdays work too!

Good company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Employee benefits (i.e. health, employee discount)
    - Schedule Flexibility
    - Fun working environment
    - Decent pay

Cons

There are definitely opportunities for career advancement, but there can be many obstacles and "hoops" to jump through first. During my employment, I have witnessed hardworking associates be looked over for a management position for an associate who "looked the part".

Management should be a bit more supportive in assisting employees who are working to advance.

Part Time Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than a year)

Pros

20% discount on all items

Cons

Too many sales associates makes it hard to make money.

Think of your employees that need the money to survive.