Nokia Networks

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.3 1,112 reviews

Nokia Networks CEO Rajeev Suri

Rajeev Suri

Pros
  • good work-life balance, results matter most - no any control freaks in management (in 183 reviews)

• good Work/Life Balance and flexible working hours (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • It is now all about making money and no longer about having a good work-life-balance (in 15 reviews)

• They have cut everything just by taking the name of cost cutting (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights
1,112 Employee Reviews

Nokia

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

Prosgood culture, good leadership, good values.

ConsI don't have any word for this

The decline of the once great Nokia

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInternational presence helps diversify the business.
    Still good brand name in Nokia.
    Very good people at working levels

ConsLack of clear direction.
    Product quality and content lags competition.
    Short term focus.
    Wasted opportunities.
    No carrot, only sticks.
    Missing a strong, charismatic leadership team.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the leadership teams. Remove the posers, the disconnected, the despots, and the excessive arrogant.
    Truly believe, recognize, and respect the value of the working teams.
    Avoid forcing too many global efficiency actions especially when they are half-baked.
    Celebrate something, anything.
    Review HR practices and objectives as they are getting more disconnected from the reality of the industry and the company culture/environment. Performance reviews based on Rank & Yank should be reconsidered. Stop following others and lead the way.

ProsNice environment , great learning environment .

ConsSalary not up to industry standards

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NSN

Project Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGood working environment. Right startegies and plan in place to grow in areas of focus. Great experience to work for a company like NSN.

ConsOngoing restrusturing resulting in employee uncertainities. To many complicted internal processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove on to the next phase with stronger focus on improving market presence and market share

Leading without imagination.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCan be a good place to gain some experience. Compensation and benefits can be better than the competition in mature markets.

ConsOrganization is biased in favor of young white, northern European males, particularly those from Finland and to a lessor degree from Germany. Job requirements as well as performance measures are not applied to this group.

Likewise product development is very Euro-centric, presenting problems for implementation elsewhere.

There is almost no real skill in services management. Project and program management are extremely immature.

Few standard objective measures set by management.

There has been a criminal investigation of corruption and wrong doing in the ex-Siemens operations. There continue to be struggles with anti-corruption and ethics.

It is a company of administrators, not leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart pushing down authority to an appropriate level and hold managers accountable for financial performance, within ethical constraints.

very promoted and satisfied

Bss Engineer (Former Employee) Kabul (Afghanistan)

ProsGood environment, promotion opportunity and facilities

ConsFriendship relations between employees and managers, training and promotion opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Great global high-tech company

Head of (Former Employee) Munich (Germany)

ProsNokia Networks has a lot of high-caliber professionals globally. They work in a highly competitive truly global market. Each country has only 2-5 potential customers (telecom operators) and the deals with them are very large. This makes working at Nokia Networks very exciting.
    - It's easy to gain additional responsibility
    - There are plenty of opportunities to move across countries
    - People do what they promise and there is a culture of helping colleagues
    - Customers are large and the culture is customer-centric
    - Very professional and active internal communications
    - Management is well approachable and wants to listen to employee feedback
    - Very flexible for remote working

ConsI believe the cons were a bigger issue earlier and have meanwhile improved clearly:
    - The company operates in an extremely competitive market, which puts continuous pressure on margins. This has meant a lot of restructurings since Nokia Siemens Networks was formed in 2007. During recent years the situation has improved.
    - There also used to be quite a lot of politics involved, like there often is in this large companies. I believe that has also improved meanwhile.
    - The organization structure used to be very matrix oriented. This made it sometimes difficult to get fast decisions that also get implemented. I believe there has also been improvement in this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to keep the organization and responsibilities as simple as possible. Empower the field as much as possible, while maintaining necessary controls.

great

Human Resources (Current Employee) Bangkok (Thailand)

Prosflexibility teamwork open communication respect to other great compensation and benefits scheme

Consoffice location, unable to access vis sky train or underground train. traffic in that area no parking allowance

Advice to Senior Managementgreat

Nokia Networks company review

Solutions Manager (Former Employee) Belgrade (Serbia)

ProsI had been working for 5 years for Nokia Siemens Networks. It was a great time in my career. I had a lot of opportunities for personal growth. I worked on innovative solutions with a team that had great competence and passion for work. This was a company that really cared about people. I loved transparent communication across all management levels.

ConsIn order to get a promotion for global positions you had to work either in Munich or Finland.

Very good team spirit and customer focus at NSN.

Team Leader (Current Employee) Paris (France)

ProsInside the same company, we are able to change position and stay motivated with new challenges.

ConsThe big challenge is to work better with cost reduction program. It's very challenging on how to make better with less cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust in your engineers, they are the best.

Worked for Nokia Networks? Contribute to the Community!