Noble Network of Charter Schools

Updated 13 May, 2014
4.2

Michael Milkie

Teacher

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning environment, awesome kids, always challenging, and full of ambitious, young instructors.

Cons

Lack of employee retention due to high stress and perhaps to over-accountability and too much structure.

Find ways to make the work environment not only conducive to learning, but also to keeping high-quality instructors happy (i.e. creating more work-life balance across the network)!

A NOBLE Engagement of Our Children's Future

Current Employee - Noble Network Substitute Teacher  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Noble Network Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Superb culture. Discipline issues are minimal or non-existent. Teaching is actually going on! Certain campuses have you engaged full throttle, with a Powerpoint and the expectation for you to teach the lesson in the teacher's absence. Other campuses have busy work for the students or pertinent videos/movies for them to watch.
    Most of the principals are VERY welcoming and will learn your name quickly if you are there frequently. I only encountered one principal in Englewood, who would barely acknowledge your presence or barely speak to you when spoken to.
    The number of students going off to college at many of the campuses are 100%.

Cons

Multiple people might contact you daily. The system needs to be centralized. Currently it is not. There is no way for one campus to be aware that you are working at another campus.

Students First; Administrative Support Staff Left Behind

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The test results year after year speak for themselves. Students achieve and excel at Noble. Nothing beats making a positive impact in the lives of others. The public school system should really take a look at Noble's formula and consider adopting some of their methods and practices. In addition, teachers seem enthusiastic and caring about their student's academic and personal progress. School facilities are clean, safe, and security is monitored closely. Noble also provides a healthy breakfast and lunch menu which for many students are their most robust meals of the day.

Cons

It has been an ongoing trend for the administration staff to feel un-engaged, over-worked (60+ hour work weeks) and under-compensated. Advancement in large part appears to happen by virtue of sheer politics, and very little by merit/hard-work and dedication. Employees see how much is spent on opening new facilities, and yet very little money is available for raises, bonuses and professional development except at the senior ranks. Poor management and bullying (by managers and co-workers) goes mostly un-noticed unless someone has been brave enough to say something (seeing colleagues in tears should really be a clue!)

Break down the silos, focus on building employee engagement and retention at all levels. Remember that the administrative workers in the background deserve the same level of consideration, support and leadership as the workers on the front lines (teachers and school administrators).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible Culture, Outstanding People, and Great Mission.

Current Employee - Educator  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Educator in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the most progressive, successful charter school networks in the country. Great school culture where everyone works hard and succeeds.

Cons

We put in a lot of work for our students' success - that comes with any teaching position.

At Noble, everyone works hard for a cause and comes together when you need help.

Current Employee - Algebra I Teacher  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Algebra I Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My favorite thing about Noble is the high level of collaboration, not just within my school, but amongst all the campuses. Every quarter, you get to come together with all the other campuses to share strategies and brainstorm together. You really feel like you are a part of a team with a common mission to get more Chicago students to graduate from college.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons. I have loved my time at Noble. Yes, you put in A LOT of work, but it is all worth it.

Used to be like a family, now it's more like just another heartless corporation.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with mostly great people and feeling like part of a family. Most of the people working at Noble really care about the goal of the network and helping kids. Competitive pay and decent benefits.

Cons

The network expanded to quickly, opening too many schools at once. This not only caused a number of growing pains, but also turned it into a place with more of a "corporate" atmosphere than what it was 5 years ago. Some of the senior management cares less about their employees and the Noble vision than their own careers.

It's good to be have goals for helping the kids of Chicago, but growing too fast and opening too many schools only causes problems.

Worked for Noble Network of Charter Schools? Contribute to the Community!