Noble Energy

Noble Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Noble Energy Chairman and CEO Charles D. Davidson

Charles D. Davidson

Too focused on process and not on relevant work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSenior management is very ethical.
    There is good software, technology, training available and a desire for excellence by upper management
    There are some very good people.

ConsWith the rapid growth from a relatively small independent thanks to some large discoveries, the company is focused on process, succession planning and everything but actual sound work, creativity and individual contribution. Working there became an extremely frustrating experience of endless meetings with incompetent middle managers who knew how to speak the lingo but couldn't recognize let alone initiate something that would lead to real value

Advice to Senior ManagementFor Senior Management:
    Come down from your ivory tower.
    Remember what led to the success of the company and focus on those aspects of business
     Stop "drinking the KoolAid" all of the management consultants are pawning off on you.

Specialist

ProsImmediate supervisors support a work home life. There is no pressure from immediate supervisors to put your work before your family.

ConsThey do not give goals of career advancement. If employees show interest in advancing their careers and pursue their interest many times they are ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clear career advancement options for each job title and position. Each employee needs to feel they are appreciated and valued by the immediate supervisors up to the Vice Presidents.

Company has gone down hill since joining

Geoscience (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsResonable culture, above average pay

ConsLots of managers playing CTB, cover their butts
    No accountability for bizarre requests and unreasonable demands.
    Senior VP's have made promises to Wall Street that they cannot deliver on because they lack the technical know how of subsurface E&P works

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the 'do what I say and not what I do attitude'
    Senior managers believe that through the power of GAP that we can find all the hydrocarbons we want
    YA... tell that to the rocks deep in the ground
    Noble's success over the last 7 years was due more to luck than good science

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Project Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat company, with strong core values and mission. The company is forward thinking in terms of business and personal. Cares tremendously about personal growth.

ConsI live outside of Houston, so my commute is awful. It takes 45- 1.5 hours one way.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more classes/courses about industry for lower entry positions.

OK to work for. Needs some better planning and organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsMoney, nice facilities, professional atmosphere

ConsHuge contract force does all the work. Employees who do the work and have the knowledge are passed over for illogical reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture where the work is done by real employees (not just contractors). And reward the employee's with growth and promotions because of the quality and effort put into the work. Avoid promoting people to key positions that don't have the experience or skills relative to their organization.

I was working on a contract basis at the Records Center not the downtown office.

Land Technician (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsGot to wear blue jeans everyday, worked 9 hours a day with Friday afternoons off.

ConsLow pay, no chance of advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorkers at the Records Center should be considered for placement at the downtown office.

OK place to work, not much room for advancement

Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsNice people, nice office facilities

ConsWeak management, lazy coworker, status quo comes above everything else

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more assertive in retraining and replacing lazy employees doing the bare minimum to get by. Also be more open to promoting from within rather than holding people back who deserve career growth.

No place for minorities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive salaries and benefits, good working peers.

ConsThere is a definite but unwritten rule not to hire, promote or retain minorities. A review of their staff would not only show that there is only one African American manager and not one of their African American employees, have been there for over five years. I actually made six, but after five and being promoted to a manager was literally demoted and then accused of poor performance, although the facts do not support the rhetoric. Two previous minorities that were there when I started, were released earlier.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessional maturity is required of its senior management; still bigoted and fosters a "white only" atmosphere.

I Love it!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsFriendly employees, great schedule. Supervisors are very attentive and encourage employees to be promoted from within.

ConsTechnology can be a little challenging sometimes.

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNoble invests in people, provides with good career opportunities and understands that the key to their success is the close contact between senior management with employees, and leaving the door open for suggestions, constructive criticism and breakthrough ideas.

ConsVery fast pace environment in the international BU... Very good for those up for the challenge, not so good if you are not too proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs they grow and develop outside the US is vital for them to also incorporate non-US talent into their headquarters. It is always good to have a different point reference to help globalization plans.

Worked for Noble Energy? Contribute to the Community!