Nitro

4.1

Nitro CEO Sam Chandler
Sam Chandler

Customer Support

I worked at Nitro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They had a nicely stocked kitchen, lunch twice a week and happy hour.

Cons

It felt like a high school cafeteria and very clique like. My manager had less experience than me and was not very helpful nor friendly. Not sure how someone can be working with clients when they can't even be nice to people around them.

Listen to your employees. I told them exactly why I was leaving in my exit interview and doesn't seem anything has changed in that department.

Barely a technology company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Nitro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee experience team truly cares about making Nitro a great place to work--and they do an excellent job at it. Most of the employees are well intentioned and genuinely good humans.

Cons

If you are joining the company to grow yourself as an engineer, look elsewhere, there is no engineering culture. Craftsmanship and innovation are not valued at the company. The flashiness and the amount of free booze and snacks is almost insulting; at times it felt like they were treating us like children.

Great company, great culture with a can do attitiude

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined Nitro due to the folks that I interviewed with. The CEO Sam and Gina the COO were both very transparent in what the company is like to work for and with. I really did like the vision they have for the company and they both cared greatly about the employees and the company in general.

The company is going through a transition and growth stage and they are hiring a great leadership team to ensure that Nitro is successful moving forward. The perks and benefits are great and the Employment Experience do a great job in welcoming new hires and making you feel a part of the team.

Cons

As this time I do not have any cons to write about. everyone is fully engaged and are primed to take the company to the next level of growth. Inter-department communication has been lacking but with the new employees that have been hired this is getting much better and the various teams are now getting in the loop more in changes affecting the company

Continue listening to ideas from employees and being collaborative along with the no BS values that are instilled in every employee. They are doing a good job at this time even with the changes and new faces to the leadership team.

Disappointing and on the wrong track

I have been working at Nitro full-time

Pros

On the surface, Nitro sounds like a great company, and in many ways it is from the benefits to the employee experience team. In general, most people are well intentioned and that includes the executive team. The employee experience team does a great job of trying to keep employees engaged in social activities. While youth and creativity are typically strengths for this company, in many ways, they are also a significant detriment to the daily operations which has fueled turnover and disenchantment among remaining employees.

Cons

Under the hood, Nitro has the feel of a high school complete with a high degree of favoritism by the executive team towards certain people also known as the "in crowd" so that only their opinions matter. The sales team is disgruntled because of the lack of leads; the support team is upset because they’re never kept in the loop; and finally you have marketing whose best skill seems to be sending out emails.

As much as Nitro touts its fun culture, it’s not what you expect. The concept of teamwork is hindered by several employees at managerial positions who seem to be driven by insecurity, immaturity and ego. The sad running joke is they walk on water since they can do no wrong. But, it's disheartening when shameless self-promotion at the expense of undermining others (and in many cases, the greater good of the company) is so rampant. The company has lost a number of talented employees because of this, and the executive team seems oblivious or turns a blind eye. If you’re not a “yes man”, Nitro may not be the place for you. The fact that two executives were forced out after less than 6 months says a lot. Coupled with the lack of company direction/accountability and limited career path, and you have the makings of an environment that's not very healthy.

If you’re new to the work world, Nitro is a good place to get your experience and then move on. If you’re more experienced, be wary since your skills risk being overlooked or worse, create enough insecurity in others that you become a liability. Look up former employees (and there are plenty lately) on that other professional networking site and ask them.

Do a gut check and listen to your employees - all of them. Take off the blinders and understand there are serious problems that can’t be addressed with free food and alcohol. Run the company like it should be run, and stop making decisions based on emotion and preferential treatment.

product management puts you down

I have been working at Nitro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work-life balance is great and you get what you need when it comes to accomplish your tasks in terms of technology. The active product is cool & the image too. The sales team is doing a great job.

Cons

The product management just repeats what the CEO says, but doesn't actually do any work. The CTO doesn't have a real plan for how to do things & for a long time everyone is talking just about the cloud without going analytical. Too much talent and too much resources are wasted. The main ideas of Sam are great, but he hired people who can't put together a single sheet of a document for the product development to work by.

Buy a cheap Cloud Startup, fire the CTO and bring in an experienced product manager.

Find people who bring a real analysis other than copying slides from meetings.

Has the potential to be a rocketship

I worked at Nitro full-time

Pros

A lot of fun, genuine and smart people. Fun activities. Great office location.

Cons

Have a "work hard play hard" attitude, but play a little too hard. Too much of a drinking bro culture. They don't want to be a typical SV tech startup but sadly that's exactly what it is. Needs better managers in place.

Get some great managers and keep them. Hire people you trust and let them do their jobs. Leadership can't do it all.

Good company, issues going on currently

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are truly great people who work here- passionate, caring, enthusiastic... There is a lot of heart here. Not much micro-managing.

Cons

The Executives tend to be a bit hard-headed and unwilling to adjust. The recruiters don't seem to able to bring the best candidates for manager positions to the table- or people are just being driving out when their opinions don't line up with leadership's. A bit disorganized, but with the right people they may be able to turn it around.

No place to work.

I have been working at Nitro

Pros

They spend money to get you drunk often.

Cons

No clue what they are doing and leaders are not experienced enough to be in their positions.

Work with a great crew of positive people on cool projects.

I have been working at Nitro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Growth.

Cons

Chaotic at times within projects.

Keep building us!

Interview process for Enterprise AE Role

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Nitro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Process was very straightforward and I was kept up to date about what was happening and next steps in the process at all times. Everyone who I dealt with was an ambassador for the company and the energy and positivity was most certainly a reason for my accepting the offer

Cons

None as such however it was quite a long process although reassuringly so. Really looking forward to getting started in Nitro!