Nitro

Updated 9 December, 2014
4.2

Nitro CEO Sam Chandler
Sam Chandler

Unique and inspiring culture, big product vision, lots of growth

I have been working at Nitro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

By far the the most caring/genuine/authentic culture I have ever experienced but focused on performance. Big on product vision, amazing offices in downtown SF, international feel and international team, growing fast, just received big investement by top venture capital firm Battery Ventures. You will not meet a nicer but more driven bunch of folks anywhere. Lots of opportunities to grow your career, travel internationally, do different things. Serious benefits and perk program for a mid-sized company.

Cons

Company has always been bootstrapped until raising $15m from US VCs this quarter and has acted like a bootstrapped company, not spending enough where it needs to on things like marketing budget or experienced execs. But I think this is changing with the big investment. Also, if you are expecting to coast or take it easy, Nitro is not for you. Management seems to take a hard line when it doesn't see performance.

We need more experienced individual contributors and middle managers. Now that you've raised a big pile of cash, go find the best people in all the roles where you see gaps. Also, please don't lose the authentic Aussie work-hard no BS culture that Silicon Valley location and investment may try and change!

Great place to work with sharp, dedicated people.

Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone is transparent and truly owns issues. My experience is if there is a problem, the conversation goes right to finding solutions, not pointing blame. The staff here knows how to have fun and no one takes themselves too seriously. I am constantly challenged by the caliber of talent assembled at Nitro.

Cons

None come to mind. The work environment is an open floor plan with everyone (including management) working in a large room with multiple tables. Not for everyone, but it does promote collaboration.

Keep it up. You have created a very creative work atmosphere.

A great place to grow my career

I have been working at Nitro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nitro is a growing tech company that has a very bright future. With the growth of new offices and new positions, we really have the opportunity to drive our roles in the direction that we want to go withing the company. My team is positive and very hard working which keeps me motivated :) I have the autonomy to do what I'm great at and my manager trusts me. I know I will be with Nitro for years to come.

Cons

Right now there a few growing pains with adding new higher level positions that we previously did not have, but these are positions that we need to fill in order to be successful.

Great culture with meaningful values (High Performance, Be Good, No Bullsh*t) and a great place to learn!

I have been working at Nitro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nitro is unique in that it's rare to find a company that truly lives up to its core values. It's a really exciting time to be at the company too. We've just closed a round of funding, the product vision is more exciting than ever, and the team here are some of the best, most talented people I've ever worked with. There are also really great growth and career opportunities for those who are willing to put in the hard work to learn and move up. It also feels like everyone wants to be here, irrespective of their role, which I think speaks volumes.

Cons

Things are changing quickly as we scale and the company has definitely experienced growing pains, but it's all normal stuff and part of growing a business. It's a fast-paced work environment that's not for everyone but I find it very rewarding. Communication across departments could be better, but this has improved lately.

Continue to protect the culture and our values, to develop talent and promote from within and be as transparent as possible about growth plans and the vision for the future. Keep up the great work!

Great Culture

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been super impressed by the great culture that the founders and leadership team have built over the last 9 years. This plus the exciting new products coming to market make this an exciting place to work.

Cons

None from my POV. The senior leadership team is actively growing its ranks with high quality candidates, and this is further building clarity around the future vision as well as providing strong mentoring opportunities to me and the team around me.

Through the current growth phase, some folks need additional support, so maybe consider that as part of the active management process.

Frat house vibe

I have been working at Nitro as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic environment, beautifully stocked kitchen, well-selected catering, decidedly un-stuffy. A number of genuinely smart and driven individuals.

Cons

Entitled millenials at a perpetual happy hour make for an exceptionally juvenile and cliquey work atmosphere. I would recommend this company to some of my younger friends, but anyone more than a few years out of college will likely balk at the unprofessional day-to-day "culture" and behavior of the overly coddled employees.

Customer Support

I worked at Nitro full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They had a nicely stocked kitchen, lunch twice a week and happy hour.

Cons

It felt like a high school cafeteria and very clique like. My manager had less experience than me and was not very helpful nor friendly. Not sure how someone can be working with clients when they can't even be nice to people around them.

Listen to your employees. I told them exactly why I was leaving in my exit interview and doesn't seem anything has changed in that department.

Great company, great culture with a can do attitiude

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined Nitro due to the folks that I interviewed with. The CEO Sam and Gina the COO were both very transparent in what the company is like to work for and with. I really did like the vision they have for the company and they both cared greatly about the employees and the company in general.

The company is going through a transition and growth stage and they are hiring a great leadership team to ensure that Nitro is successful moving forward. The perks and benefits are great and the Employment Experience do a great job in welcoming new hires and making you feel a part of the team.

Cons

As this time I do not have any cons to write about. everyone is fully engaged and are primed to take the company to the next level of growth. Inter-department communication has been lacking but with the new employees that have been hired this is getting much better and the various teams are now getting in the loop more in changes affecting the company

Continue listening to ideas from employees and being collaborative along with the no BS values that are instilled in every employee. They are doing a good job at this time even with the changes and new faces to the leadership team.

Barely a technology company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Nitro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employee experience team truly cares about making Nitro a great place to work--and they do an excellent job at it. Most of the employees are well intentioned and genuinely good humans.

Cons

If you are joining the company to grow yourself as an engineer, look elsewhere, there is no engineering culture. Craftsmanship and innovation are not valued at the company. The flashiness and the amount of free booze and snacks is almost insulting; at times it felt like they were treating us like children.