Nissan

www.nissan-global.com

Nissan Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2014
Nissan – Japan – “Nissan Global Head Office”

Nissan Co-Chairman, President, CEO, Representative Board Member, and Member of the Executive Committee Carlos Ghosn

Carlos Ghosn

Pros
  • Work environment relatively clean and friendly(in 3 reviews)

• You can use the cars for weekends if you ask for one(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Crazy working hours: sometimes meetings at 9 PM(in 6 reviews)

• Work life balance is completely missing(in 3 reviews)

Learn a lot, develop practical skills, but watch out for office politics.

Placement Engineer (Former Employee) Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

ProsIf you get in the right team, it's really rewarding - you can learn a lot from some very intelligent, experienced engineers. Development of practical skills is also emphasised which is something I enjoyed.

ConsOften quite fractious relations between different teams, and between the engineering and production staff. Unrealistic SM targets also an issue - being compared to a brand new factory is not something you want to hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between engineering teams needs to be improved. Comparing a brand new factory to one that is being constantly updated is not helpful.

Crippling hierarchy, disorganized, unprofessional, lots of office gossip & politics

European Coordinator (Former Employee) Paris (France)

ProsIn Nissan Europe, working in Marketing Communications team:
    - Big company, looks good on CV
    - Lots of media/advertising budget so you get to do some crazy cool stunts
    - Opportunity for travel
    - Good salary
    - If you are a serial office politician this is the place for you
    - Some very good HUMAN work colleagues

ConsIn Nissan Europe, working in Marketing Communications team:
    - Tons of office politics, gossip and just plain nastiness
    - People rotate their positions a lot, so many people have NO idea of what they are doing
    - In Marketing Communications, people never heard of the basics such as KPIs and objectives
    - Crippling hierarchy: everything you do needs to be approved by senior management (sometimes even the CEO)
    - Random people get promotions & raises, usually the office buddies and those cozy with management
    - Crazy working hours: sometimes meetings at 9 PM! Management complains if you want to leave and get on with your life. If you have kids these meetings will just go on without you

Advice to Senior Management1) Please realize people have lives outside work. 2) Please judge your colleagues by their WORK and not by gossip/comments from other people

Great company, and product

Car Salesman (Current Employee)

ProsA great learning environment, with great opportunity for who ever wants to work hard.

ConsNot for the person who is not willing to put everything into this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be preferable to any employee working the sales floor to never have to work a 9am to 9pm shift when there is a family to get to.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Car sales can be good

ProsIt is a great way to make a living and get to meet new people all the time. The money can be great if you are willing to work for it. It is a fun and interesting way to make a living if you enjoy talking with strangers and getting to know them.

ConsThe hours will suck, and the customers do not always care if it is not a good time for you. So you wind up eating some crap from them unless you want to give up part of your commission and have someone else help them if you are off. Sometimes the people you work with are not the best but that is everywhere.

Great product, but could use some improvement.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsI sold Nissans for 3 years, but I’ve been a fan of Nissan since I was child. My parents and I have been driving Nissan for 25 years we want to continue that legacy. Nissan offers an excellent product line up with innovating ideas which makes Nissan one of the leaders in foreign auto market. I believe in the product and drive what I sell.
    It’s easy to get Nissan certified and the NNAnet.com site offers a lot of product knowledge for the sales consultant to accumulate to help become a better sales consultant.
    Nissan offers a program to sales consultants during the football season called Sunday Night Rewards which sales consultant depending on which cars they sell during that week and pick the correct football team can accumulate points to which they can cash in for nice things such as Jewelry, gift cards, electronics, apparel, and the list goes on. Unfortunately, this is one of the only rewards/spiffs/spins that Nissan offers other than selling a Nissan Leaf and they discontinued it.

ConsIt’s hard to make money by selling new Nissans on top of your regular dealer pay. Nissan customers just like more foreign car buyers are educated buyers and pretty much know what they want and how much they are going to pay before they enter in the dealership. Nissan has an award of excellence program called Owner First which pays sales consultants based on selling minimum of 6 cars each month, meet NSSI survey minimum of 6, and having a 3 month rolling average score of 933. It’s hard to meet these requirements each month and just recently Nissan raised the requirements yet again to selling a minimum of 8 cars and having a rolling average score of 938.
    Nissan doesn’t start paying the sales consultants until they met their requirements above. Some manufactures will pay their sales consultants extra money on top of their regular dealer pay without having a minimal numbers of cars sold like Kia Hyundai and GM.

The Nissan survey is by far one of the biggest jokes. We cannot coach on the survey but every other manufacture allows it. If you are caught coaching on the survey and the customer indicates it on the survey, Nissan throws a fit at that particular dealership. Why should the sales consultant be penalized on the survey for what happens in finance, variety of inventory, appearance of facility, when it’s something that I have no control over? This is I think one of the main reasons why you do not see that many Nissan sales consultants staying with Nissan for a long period of time. It was one of the reasons why I left. A couple of weeks after I left Nissan, I received a survey in my email about my experience working with Nissan. I did take the time to fill out it and how I think Nissan could improve and keep their sales consultants happy. But I see after that they raised the bar yet again and never took my suggestions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-work the Nissan Survey to where the sales consultant cannot get deducted for questions that the sales consultant has no control over. Listen to your sales consultants and managers at the dealerships when you stop in. We will tell you how we feel and how to fix the problems.Offer spins and pay your sales consultants a little money per car not a minimal requirement. If Nissan paid their sales consultants better, I guarantee more sales consultants would stay with Nissan including me.

Has great potential but poor management and HR practices

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, product line up can be innovative at times, high profile experience, exposure to global business and colleagues is good for personal development

ConsOffice culture and morale greatly affected by management styles, very top down philosophy, product is often poor quality compared to competitors, poor HR practices especially in managing development of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove morale

Experience at Nissan

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rolle (Switzerland)

ProsDynamic Company
    Flexible in the work: they have the ability to react fast to changing environment
    Employees can rotate between different departments easily. Change of job every 2 to 3 years

ConsFlexibility is also given by the work on Excel more than real database management. It means a lot of work duplication
    Demanding company without adequate compensation

NMAC was great to work for as I did a long time, the problem is Nissan North America don't work for them.

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Irving, TX (US)

ProsSmall IT department but accomplish more than all the other affiliates

ConsNo many chances to move up if you're a technical person

Advice to Senior ManagementOversee your other affiliates better

Good place to work for while figuring out your life or next step.

CR Representative (Current Employee) Irving, TX (US)

ProsSteady work, good medical benefits. easy job.

Consmanagement is temperamental, outdated, and emotional

Advice to Senior Managementget a new SR manager

challenging and interesting

Product Planning (Former Employee) Rolle (Switzerland)

ProsInternational company, great management support and expertise, great facility

Conssalary was below the average graduate can find in Switzerland, even for interns

Advice to Senior Managementincrease salary if you want to retain more talents

Worked for Nissan? Contribute to the Community!