Next Retail

Updated 15 December, 2014
3.4

Next Retail CEO Simon Wolfson
Simon Wolfson

Pros
  • The staff discount was a great benefit and the people who worked there (in 16 reviews)

• 25% off after several weeks work is a good discount (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The shift patterns are 3 hour shifts for part timers and you can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week (in 3 reviews)

• Too strict, many changes in managers and no real prospects for promotion (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible - Bristol Cribbs Causeway Mall store

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-You get 25% discount
    -Uniform allowance is very good
    -Products are very nice
    -Rota system is very good as you can view from home.

Cons

They are very manipulative, they will always step over your hours especially if you're under 18 as you are cheaper to bring in.

Higher Archy system is well set, if you're new or temporary you're treated like pure scum being given terrible jobs and spoken to like a degenerate.

Managers have no respect for other employees, and will always feel like they're having a go at you. (Only recently were they fighting in there Christmas party).

People who are there longer or more well known tend to be bullies and act like they're managers as they lounge around or flirt with other member of staffs.

You have no flexibility at all, if they give you a shift put of your availability you're expected to work it. Many people have quit working for next as they are failing A levels due to work load from next.

Customer are quite aggressive and annoying, on various occasions I have seen girls leaving shop floor crying due to horrible customers.

Stop acting like you're posh and all high and mighty. Take your employees feeling and thoughts in to considerations.

Very interesting, Learnt a lot within Fashion Retail and have become highly knowledgeable in this sector of work.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Lincoln, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Lincoln, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff, Good learning product knowledge and the hours are flexible, a good first job and made great friends.

Cons

There is no progressions within the company personally and I feel your not rewarded very well for the efforts you put in.

Making training more priority as I had to teach myself at some points by watching other staff members with experience.

Good experience for customer service

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Train new people, good discount, good friends and support from colleagues and management, good flexibility of working hours if part time

Cons

Sale prep can be stressful but works out in the end

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Next Sales Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

Nothing to say positive to say. The mangement is rude arrogant I hated working there

Cons

Staff turnover
    Rude management
    Management are unprofessional
    Just horrible place to work

Train the management better

Used like a skivvy

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Blackburn, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Blackburn, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good staff discount good customer service generous uniform discount some new staff nice good product range

Cons

Well what can I say possibly the worse place I've ever worked did 8 weeks on a temp 6 hour contract and believe me the experience was not nice!
    Training minimal you get someone saying I will show you the till it gets busy and your left on your own
    The employee learning portal hardly ever works from home
    The temp staff are bossed around by the permanent staff you get all the rubbish jobs while they stand round chatting
    If you ask for help because you don't know you get abuse you should know this have they not shown you etc etc
    The stockroom staff are bully's getting the women to do all the hard jobs like ripping open boxes while they put clothes on hangers
    The performance review well you only got two stars because you were off sick so we will punish you by not offering you any extra shifts
    The managers delegate and do next to nothing
    The stock room is a mess with a filing system that doesn't work for anyone
    There are no breaks if your on a 4 hour shifts try workung four hours with no water it defys mazlows basic levels sorry for that doing a degree
    And if you dare to go toilet you are slated for leaving your staff members either that or they say to you as you going in toilet is your shift over!
    You can be serving a big queue next thing that happens someone will shout at you tidy this till up put that stick out before you have chance to catch your breath
    There is no organisation you can be on menswear quite happy working then it's get to children's wear we are busy you get there they aren't busy its lazy full time permanent staff saying get that stock out
    All in all if you want to be treated like dirt and be prepared to get all the rotten jobs and treated like a skivvy and spoke to like dirt work for next !!!

You need to clean your act up

Up and down

I have been working at Next Retail part-time

Pros

Good Benefits - 25% Discount

Cons

Dealing with some tough customers
    Senior management not brilliant

Ok so far

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

Discount. Rota online. Some staff nice mostly the newish people

Cons

Getting nagged to approach more. Smile. Im not a miserable person im just natural .some people don't want to be bugged when shopping with a fake smile.

Show new people the ropes rather then getting other people to do it . Who are not bothered if you are up to speed or not .

A million pound company should be better

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great team good discount good shares have scheme

Cons

No holiday taken in December or July due to sales no security in the store shoplifting is an everyday thing no extra pay for bank holidays or Boxing Day full time staff are giving too much responsibility and never thanked for it always seems to be one rule for one and not for another Customers seem to be given gift cards for the abusive and poor behaviour just so next could keep them as customers while the staff are made to look like idiots

Every member of staff should be treated the same full time staff need more support from there managers and as for bank holidays they should get extra pay and bonuses should be given to everyone every month the same why do managers get a stock loss bonus when it's the staff that catch the shoplifters?

Great company to work for, perfect job when I was a student.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible around studies, great social life outside of work with colleagues and the 25% staff discount.

Cons

Part-time staff were expected to work ALL bank holidays. I worked every single bank holiday in 5 years and when I requested one off for a family function I was refused.

Treat part-time student staff more like the full time permanent staff and you will get more out of them.

Pretty Decent...

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in York, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff discount is decent, they don't take advantage of their staff and give good breaks.

Cons

The many rude and snobby customers I was forced to grin and bare and also having to get up at 4:30am on boxing day.

n/a

Next Retail Photos

Next & TKmaxx Woking (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next Offices - Enderby (Photo thanks to Geograph user Anthony Parkes, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo