Nexon
www.nexon.co.kr Seoul, South Korea 1000 to 5000 Employees

Nexon Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Nexon is a really great company to work for.

Programmer (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at Nexon

ProsGreat work environment.
People are great.
You get to meet many talented individuals.
Profit sharing options which motivates you to increase your performance at work.
Employees get to express their ideas freely without any fear of being ridiculed or rejected because every ideas are great even though some of them might not be suitable for the company.
Every developer will get a chance to attend the developer conference every year which is great.
Great health benefits.
Management is cooperative and supportive.
Work on a small productive team.
The office is nice and comfortable.
Free coffees and teas.
Access to the gym.

ConsThe job compensation is well on average within the industry.
Because the number of people is small, there are fewer chances to build your network or to meet new people.
Sometimes during the crunch time or before delivery you will have to do some overtime work without any overtime pay.
They do not offer any stock options because it is a private company.
There are no retirement saving plans.
There are no foods or snacks provided.
There are no educational or self enhancement programs to support you in career advancement.
The bonus and benefits given is below average within the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are really great because they listen to what the developers have to say and more importantly they actually do believe in what they say.

The Biggest game company in South Korea

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)
Seongnam (South Korea)

I have been working at Nexon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible organization. Nice coworkers. I think pay is good in Korea.

ConsWhich is publisher than developer. So, shipping schedule is more important than game quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to develop a GAME not a cash generator.

Well

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Seoul (South Korea)

I worked at Nexon full-time

ProsThe company is getting lots of money. Financially stable.

ConsEven it has a lot of money, you can not expect any incentive. The company has a history of firing many employees even it had grown up more than 30 percentage comparing to the previous year.

good company for youngsters.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Seoul (South Korea)

I have been working at Nexon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNo.1 Game company in Korea
opportunity of co-working top tiered companies in global.
good company culture
best venefit ever

Consso many politics.
only early stage member can survive.
so many team drop

Great international environment, but quite "corporate".

I have been working at Nexon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInternational working environment, intelligent people, large exposure to top people in the industry, huge financing capital through IPO to sustain aggressive M&A

Conslow salary, few employee perks, rigid organization, working hours are not flexible

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary-level is not competitive compared to peers, vision can be expanded a bit more outside of core games industry

Stay away

I worked at Nexon

ProsOffice building looks nice, close to LAX, parking situation seems to be okay. Surrounding area has pretty fine restaurants if you're a drive-out-for-lunch kind.
Easy to get hired, if you don't mind low salary, temporary position.

ConsLow morale in general.
Benefits are less than industry average.
In office vending machine is really expensive.
A LOT of politics.
Lack of employee ownership.
People refusing to take responsibility unless they are execs.
Promotion, hiring not clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring a bunch of executive level people won't help.

Being young is good when the company is in a good condition, but..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nexon full-time for more than a year

ProsEverybody is young. Being young is a good thing!

ConsBecause people are young, when company's situation started getting worse financially, it becomes difficult for young team to come up with solution to fix it.

Trying to force korean standards on the western market

I worked at Nexon full-time

ProsYou get half year bonuses additionally to your KPI performances (e.g. Amazon vouchers).

ConsNo direct vision for the products
No discussions, when you have a different opinion than your Korean colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new ideas and don'T stomp your korean ideals of europe and usa.

This company and missed opportunities

Project Manager (Former Employee)
El Segundo, CA (US)

I worked at Nexon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe environment, when not facing strenuous deadlines concerning updates, patches, whatever, is very relaxed and the people you meet are wonderful.
Basketball court, lounge, and beautiful beach view.
Great place to make life-long friends and find people who are truly compassionate about their jobs and the games.

ConsLeadership is addled and confused. They have no clue how to manage these games and are hindered even further by Nexon Korea.
Meager pay.
Harsh deadlines and late nights.
No overtime.
Some of the policies are for certain individuals only.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to have some courage and don't needlessly follow everything that Nexon Korea tells you. You are your own company and you're missing out on gems and alienating your player base. Instead of doing the right things and pushing for certain games, you've allowed games which at one time were one of your leading moneymakers, to fall stagnate. Now you try and focus on other games, letting the true gems escape you. I understand some of the reason and verdicts come from Nexon Korea, but with a little push things could have been different. This adds stress to your workers also, as they are met with a community that dislikes them, especially when we aren't allowed to communicate with them. This has them believing things like bugs and errors are our fault, especially when we aren't giving time to look over the code and fix these things. I mean come on, you get a patch and want us to translate, code and import it in less than two weeks? This company only cares about money. The way the employees are treated tends to be fair, given the deadlines, but some of the management could do with not showing preferential treatment to some of the less talented and more loyal employees. The lack of communication between Nexon and Nexon Korea is also killer, with everything seemingly dropped last minute. With a better tie to our communities, better attempts at understanding the load put on your employees, and some infrastructure changes, the company could grow and expand, seeing an overall better product produced.

Looking to work here? Keep looking, you can do better.

El Segundo, CA (US)

I worked at Nexon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBasketball court
Great, talented people, personal friendships and networking opportunities
Safe neighborhood

ConsPoor wages (do your homework when applying, there ARE companies that will pay you fair market value)
Fail executive staff (aimless vision, no transparency, don't know what to do with the talent)
Failing company (all the top talent has already escaped this sinking ship, while the remaining talent are avidly looking for new opportunities elsewhere).
I've got a hunch the Nexon America office will be closed by Big Daddy Korea/Japan so they can focus on the asian market.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are great people here. Your customers are loyal and wonderful as well. But when your idea of driving revenue is to post big banners and popups for sales rather than crafting an excellent user experience, and the competition catches up with the Free 2 Play model, you're destined to fail once you've lost sight of the people.

Worked for Nexon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nexon reviews and ratings. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Nexon employees.