Newmont Mining

Newmont Mining Reviews

Updated 25 February, 2015
Updated 25 February, 2015

Gary J. Goldberg

Pros
  • Company offers some of the best pay and benefits in their industry (in 9 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits, great PTO, 9/80 work schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited work-life balance and political power plays are common (in 4 reviews)

• That also means there is little to no career path for those that remain (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed working at Newmont for the most part - we had a good team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO (US)

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros

They have good benefits, good pay and were a good global citizen considering they are a mining company. They employ a variety of top-notch, educated employees.

Cons

Amazing amount of layoffs considering their business is doing well, creating very low employee morale. Getting rid of key employees as well as mailroom workers and almost every administrative assistant. I didn't experience much personal growth there, but overall enjoyed my job. Also had such a large workload that I worked through lunch regularly and stayed late regularly, so not a great work-life balance.

Why so many layoffs, esp. of so many loyal, low-salaried employees? The people left behind are having to knock themselves out picking up the slack. The upper management, with their enormous salaries, fancy trips, private plane, etc. are certainly not having to cut back at all. It's a shame - used to be such a great company to work for,.

i have six year working experience in health, safety and environment and I have Diplom in Environment science, Nebosh

Current Employee - Safety Officer
    Current Employee - Safety Officer

I have been working at Newmont Mining (more than 5 years)

Pros

Because I am a value added person, I can work under pressure and i am well experienced. I help my HSE manager to come out with the best HSE Plan for my company and am also a trainer for my company, current i have trained about 51 safety assistance

Cons

Is good to ensure a tool box talk to all your workers prior to commencement of work each day to ensure a good safe system of work and also make sure that risk assessment and method statements as per every activity is well communicated to all workers. Provide good welfare facilities to ensure workers are healthy at all times and motivate them

Management should demonstrate commitment towards health and safety to avoid sick leave, accident/incident rate, compensation claims and prison. Management should make safety a priority and also provide training to all staff or employees to ensure that the properties and personnel are protected at all times

Good Place to work.

Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Winnemucca, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Winnemucca, NV (US)

I worked at Newmont Mining full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best companies I have worked for.

Cons

None that I could see.

Tough environment for working. Employee morale low for last three years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Newmont Mining

Pros

Total benefit package. No opportunity for development. SAP implementation has taken over during last three years with no end in sight.

Cons

Environment is not employee friendly. Long hours no work life balance. No opportunity for development. Management.

Start working together.

good company

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros

good salary and lot of experiences

Cons

don't take good care about people

It was a good job.

I worked at Newmont Mining

Pros

Worked on just about every machine that came into the shop in one way or another. Good variety. Good crew. Excellent work schedule and benefits. Company provided transportation. Relocation money was very useful.

Cons

Some in leadership positions took their position too seriously. A little bit political. Typical mine maintenance shop "high school" style drama. Favoritism.

Need to eliminate the favoritism and allow each person to develop their skills at their pace. A little more open communication between management and technicians. Listen to the technicians' ideas when they are asked for them instead of hearing and ignoring.

Great opportunity to learn - poor job security

Former Intern - Mine Engineer
    Former Intern - Mine Engineer

I worked at Newmont Mining as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great operations, great employees (for the most part) and a good learning opportunity

Cons

No jobs security - people are the first things to go when the gold price tumbles

Invest in people or suffer the consequences every 10 years when there's a downturn in the price cycle.

good work environment

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros

Great team that works well together. Everyone is willing to help employees grow in there respective fields

Cons

Un-easiness in job security. Get told 1 year that lay-offs are over and 9 month later are told to we are doing it again.

Get all information together before making decisions. Get back to being the leader in the industry instead of following along with our peers.

Great company to work for with interesting and challenging projects.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Paramaribo (Suriname)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Paramaribo (Suriname)

I worked at Newmont Mining (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid, well established company offering competitive salaries, good benefits, and rewards for good performance and delivering positive results. Some great co-workers who are dedicated and passionate about their jobs. Safety is a top priority throughout the company. Management encourages growth and development and innovation.

Cons

Typical downfalls of a large organization with a lot of bureaucracy to accomplish relatively straightforward tasks and make decisions to get things done. "Matrix reporting" was often challenging and contradictory. Support for remote assignments and locations needed improvement. Long-term employment is dependent on the commodity prices and seniority, and not for the long-term value or benefit of the employee to the company (typical commodity cycle).

Put people in management positions that have been in the trenches (positions) of the people that work under them. Value your most important commodity for long-term success of the company and retain quality, high performing employees.