Newmont Mining Reviews

Updated 7 April, 2015
83 reviews filtered by
Gary J. Goldberg

Pros
  • Company offers some of the best pay and benefits in their industry (in 9 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits, great PTO, 9/80 work schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited work-life balance and political power plays are common (in 4 reviews)

• That also means there is little to no career path for those that remain (in 3 reviews)

1. Good way to gain capital.

Former Employee - Welder in Battle Mountain, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Welder in Battle Mountain, NV (US)

I worked at Newmont Mining full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay good days off.

Cons

Market fluctuations in gold make you think twice about longevity of job.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees they are the backbone of the company.

2. Great site teams, very detached corporate office

Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Newmont Mining

Pros

Very good leadership training and development opportunities for director and above. Very good pay and benefits packages and 4 day 10-hour/day work weeks in corporate office.

Cons

Leadership retreat invitations for executives were not extended to certain level or area of responsibility, but to whom was "in" or friends with the right C-Suite executives. Very much a boys club, though a few women have been promoted to senior position over last two years. Forced ranking during reviews even of small teams whose performance may exceed goals. Lots of very well-paid executives at the corporate office who are never held accountable for results.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at your project capital spend (not EPC and development capital, but all the other projects that add up quickly) and audit AFTER the projects to determine performance of project sponsors. Do not engage in yet another failed "performance improvement" initiative until you determine why all others have failed over past 20 years.

3. Enjoyed working at Newmont for the most part - we had a good team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO (US)

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros

They have good benefits, good pay and were a good global citizen considering they are a mining company. They employ a variety of top-notch, educated employees.

Cons

Amazing amount of layoffs considering their business is doing well, creating very low employee morale. Getting rid of key employees as well as mailroom workers and almost every administrative assistant. I didn't experience much personal growth there, but overall enjoyed my job. Also had such a large workload that I worked through lunch regularly and stayed late regularly, so not a great work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Why so many layoffs, esp. of so many loyal, low-salaried employees? The people left behind are having to knock themselves out picking up the slack. The upper management, with their enormous salaries, fancy trips, private plane, etc. are certainly not having to cut back at all. It's a shame - used to be such a great company to work for,.

5. i have six year working experience in health, safety and environment and I have Diplom in Environment science, Nebosh

Current Employee - Safety Officer
    Current Employee - Safety Officer

I have been working at Newmont Mining (more than 5 years)

Pros

Because I am a value added person, I can work under pressure and i am well experienced. I help my HSE manager to come out with the best HSE Plan for my company and am also a trainer for my company, current i have trained about 51 safety assistance

Cons

Is good to ensure a tool box talk to all your workers prior to commencement of work each day to ensure a good safe system of work and also make sure that risk assessment and method statements as per every activity is well communicated to all workers. Provide good welfare facilities to ensure workers are healthy at all times and motivate them

Advice to Management

Management should demonstrate commitment towards health and safety to avoid sick leave, accident/incident rate, compensation claims and prison. Management should make safety a priority and also provide training to all staff or employees to ensure that the properties and personnel are protected at all times

6. Good Place to work.

Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Winnemucca, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Winnemucca, NV (US)

I worked at Newmont Mining full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best companies I have worked for.

Cons

None that I could see.

7. Tough environment for working. Employee morale low for last three years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Newmont Mining

Pros

Total benefit package. No opportunity for development. SAP implementation has taken over during last three years with no end in sight.

Cons

Environment is not employee friendly. Long hours no work life balance. No opportunity for development. Management.

Advice to Management

Start working together.

8. good company

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros

good salary and lot of experiences

Cons

don't take good care about people

9. Business Assistant

Former Employee - Business Assistant
    Former Employee - Business Assistant

I worked at Newmont Mining full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for but sometimes leadership would get caught up in minor petty issues rather than big picture -- continuing to keep company successful and not so top heavy. Good work-life balance and excellent values.

Cons

Leadership didn't practice what they preached nor follow all the values. A lot of blame games and lack of ownership from top (CEO) throughout executive management. People who worked for top leader were not always honest and forthcoming with open answers; often beat around the bush and it cost unnecessary lost jobs.

Advice to Management

Fire current leadership for their lack of respect, dignity, and lack of integrity towards current CEO and start with new leadership. Get company back to where it was 15 years ago, when Newmont was a world class name and make people accountable.

It was a good job.

I worked at Newmont Mining

Pros

Worked on just about every machine that came into the shop in one way or another. Good variety. Good crew. Excellent work schedule and benefits. Company provided transportation. Relocation money was very useful.

Cons

Some in leadership positions took their position too seriously. A little bit political. Typical mine maintenance shop "high school" style drama. Favoritism.

Advice to Management

Need to eliminate the favoritism and allow each person to develop their skills at their pace. A little more open communication between management and technicians. Listen to the technicians' ideas when they are asked for them instead of hearing and ignoring.

11. Great opportunity to learn - poor job security

Former Intern - Mine Engineer
    Former Intern - Mine Engineer

I worked at Newmont Mining as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great operations, great employees (for the most part) and a good learning opportunity

Cons

No jobs security - people are the first things to go when the gold price tumbles

Advice to Management

Invest in people or suffer the consequences every 10 years when there's a downturn in the price cycle.