New York & Company

New York & Company Reviews

Updated Apr 03, 2014

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott

Gregory Scott

Pros:
  • "Good discount especially when the additional discount is added on"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Great discount, especially when combined with sales"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "They push you to constantly be asking the customers to open credit cards"
    in 44 reviews
  • "ZERO work life balance, honestly 12 hours day and then working from home after the office closes"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I worked for 3 months and only worked maybe 60 hours.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at New York & Company

ProsDiscounts are ok, easy job, nice clientele, management was very good in the store I worked in. They communicated with staff perfectly, and ran a great store. My only complaint was the lack of hours. Don't keep hiring people if there aren't enough hours to go around.

ConsON CALL SHIFTS. I only know a few occupations that do on call shifts, and most of them are in hospitals. They are awful. No guaranteed hours. Difficult to sell the NYC credit cards, clientele is older women. Coupons were also hard to explain because there are a lot of exclusions, but that is true of any retail.

Customer service is number 1!

Fairlawn, OH (US)

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Prosdiscount on clothes and the first look at what's hot!

ConsDoing 3 things at once

Okay company to work for

Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee)
Monroe, LA (US)

I have been working at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

ProsManagers are great to work with

ConsNo hours, (depending on prior week's transactions)

Advice to Senior ManagementNo change in company. Same old same old expectations with sales, policies, and procedures. Pay is minimum wage and you work your butt off towards an unrealistic goal.
Customers complain about cheaply made material and jewelry.

I worked as a Sales Associate over the summer.

Austin, TX (US)

I worked at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

ProsIf you like sales and interacting with people this is for you.

ConsI did not get very many hours. The pay is not competitive, and they had too many employees hired to give them all enough hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire so many people.

Not the best

Freehold, NJ (US)

I have been working at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly staff
Vacation friendly
Only take this job if you can be a multi-tasker and can handle time constraints.

ConsBeing "on call" also known as not being able to make plans and not working either, which is the worst when you're only working retail as a summer job.

This company tries to pack way too many things into the check out process. You need to collect so much information from the customer that it makes them uncomfortable. They send out far too many coupons, which is just another thing to handle at the POS.

Not always enough hours to go around.

If you work during the summer, management will heavily recruit you for the holiday season.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the checkout process, please! The employees aren't happy with it, and neither are the customers.

Great place to be a sales associate.

Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

Pros-Realistic expectations from store management
-Dress code is not very strict, as long as you look nice you're fine.
-Generous employee discounts
-Company gives back to sales associates who work hard or exceed their goals
-Realistic sales & Credit goals

Cons-Low starting hourly pay in comparison to other companies of the like
-Not many hours
-You have to push for credit openings, which can be kind of difficult. However, if you practice at it, this won't be too much of a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf possible, give more hours to your employees or more raises to prevent turnover. I loved working for this company but many employees find it difficult to open credits. Hours should not be cut or given based on how may credits one opens.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at New York & Company

ProsClothing discount, flexible schedule for students, great way to build professional wardrobe on a discount, management was actually pretty awesome though

ConsThey push their credit card way to hard. You have to sell sell sell that card to even be able to work the register. Dress code is way to specific, you can't wear clothes once they hit the sales rack. Reduced hours if you are not successful at selling credit card. Pretty much what was bad about this job was what "corporate" wanted and the rules they imposed.

It could be worse

Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at New York & Company part-time for more than a year

ProsThe discount on clothes is a major perk. For the most part, it is a fun job where you can help people while learning different sales techniques and computer systems.

ConsIt's customer service, so people can be rude and degrading to you. Unfortunately, there is really nothing you can do about it because the "customer is always right." Also, the company keeps adding more and more responsibilities on the staff without adequate incentive (raises, bonuses, fun prizes).

Was offered a part time position after the holidays as a seasonal sales

I have been working at New York & Company part-time for less than a year

ProsManagers are nice, schedules are flexible for college students, always something to do, paid weekly

ConsNot enough hours given in a week, sometimes they do not need you at all for the day, on calls are a pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoupons are confusing to customers and sales associates. Sometimes this causes problems for the transaction and the shopping experience. Also signing up for the credit card for customers is time consuming for them.

A once great company weighed down by ego and unprofessional management

Project Manager, Multi-channel (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York & Company full-time for more than a year

ProsIn the past there was a very supportive, familial structure and culture throughout different departments. The result was a very laid back confident work environment

ConsToo many changed to upper management. New members were brought in who clearly did not have the business' best interest in mind. Decisions were made solely to feed their egos. Business practices became extremely unprofessional. The proverbial "throwing someone under a bus" became a daily accepted business practice

Advice to Senior ManagementThe individuals worthy of the title of leader need to really look at the current culture and find ways to bring NY&CO back to a positive experience

Worked for New York & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York & Company reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott. All 215 reviews are posted anonymously by New York & Company employees.