New York Times

81 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Terrible Environment for Product Managers

Product (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Times full-time

ProsSome of the worlds best journalism and a well respected brand. The newsroom truly upholds it values to producing all the news that's fit to print.

New building with a large cafeteria and a wide variety of food.

ConsThe Times is struggling financially and lacks the budgets and people that you would expect from a big brand. If you're coming from a large company you will be seriously disappointed.

The product management group lacks strong leadership, respect by other groups and adequate resources. The senior product leadership are mostly ex-attorneys that couldn't hack the legal profession and have little experience in product development and management. This leads to endless meetings and data analysis to make mundane decisions. The product management culture is extremely risk averse, bureaucratic, slow and political which stalls projects and creates a passive aggressive rift between senior management and product managers. Sadly, it's all about appearances, managing up and how many people you have working for you.

In my last year over 50% of the the product group left the company. Most product managers I worked with grew tired of the nepotism, lack of career development opportunities, disengaged senior management and the constant and often heated battles with the technology group.

Beware! The technology group runs the show at the Times and often enforces their will on the product managers without any concern for the business consequences. It's not uncommon for technology to undermine product to take control of a project.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe majority of employees love the Times and were hoping that the new CEO would wipe out the lazy senior management. Look at how much the ED management level and above contribute to the business.

Great Brand, Horrible Business

Advertising (Current Employee)

I have been working at New York Times full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe brand is really good and if you think about leaving it will look very well on your resume. the journalists are amazing and such an inspiration to hear. overall everyone is nice and friendly.

ConsYou can't advance here and the pay is horrible, remember this is publishing. Learn what you need, gain the connections you need, then leave. You can't have a true career. You can have a job, however. The VP of ADV Mereidth has brought in so many ken and barbie dolls from competitors that i can't even take this place seriously. She lays off everyone and brings in her old team from Forbes. So many politics at this place, extreme lack of communication. No one (even leadership) knows whats going on, ever. Poor poor leadership. Everyone seems to be interviewing elsewhere. Come if you need a resume booster because we can't deny, the name is strong and will open many doors. Just know youll have to put in your time and create your exit strategy Day 1. Dont be surprised if you come in and are fired few months down the line. It happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication. Advancement. Salaries = Happy

Also train the directors/managers on how to be managers.

Incredible Company, awesome product and brilliant people to work with.

Executive Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at New York Times full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat leadership. Vision for the future. Steady family stewardship. Great brand with a long future ahead.

ConsTurbulent times for the news business.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed greater talent on the IT side.

Don't bother

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Times full-time

Prosthe name. great name to align yourself with.

Consno job security and pay is not great. morale is low. people cry in the bathrooms. its a very sad place to be in the year 2014. what used to be a diverse corporation has now turned into a cookie cutter environment. Where's the diversity now? You won't find it.

Good place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at New York Times full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReputed brand, world class journalism and one of the best sales team in the business

ConsWith so much churning going on lately, you have to think, act and work like a shark, be at the top of things, in business and with the constantly changing nature of the department.
While being on top of the business is the need of the hour being constantly on the guard to protect your job erodes a lot of energy which should go into thinking creatively and strategically to grow your business and develop relationships in the marketplace

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the core asset of the organization, its people. Instead of replacing institutional knowledge and years of experience, invest in the existing talent, motivate them, give them tools to excel, foster faster decision making and empower the sales staff.
There is no greater motivation for an employee than to come to work everyday feeling that they will contribute to the growth of the company that they consider as their family.

Depressing, lifeless work environment

Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Times full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's the New York Times, the paper of record, one of the great icons of New York and United States culture and history and still producing amazing journalism.

A pretty homogeneously politically liberal workplace, which is is not as easy to find in NYC as one might expect. Extremely PC. You will never hear an inappropriate joke, or any comment disrespectful to religion, race, gender, etc.

Extremely diverse, ethnically.

Pretty good bonus and 401k matching compared with other tech/media companies.

Three weeks vacation + three personal days.

ConsDigital side is a highly individualistic atmosphere. Engineers are expected to make a name for themselves in hackathons, and I didn't observe sincere camaraderie between others or directed at me from any but a very few people during my time there.

There is a culture of overdesign and a love of the status quo, which means you will spend most of your time trying to maintain ridiculously complex systems.

Product decisions seem to be based on intuition rather than a careful analysis of data, which is perplexing due to the immensity of pageview and other usage data from the various platforms that is just lying around unused. The result is 200 engineers working on few know exactly what and having who knows what impact on the success of the business. In general, data analysis and data collection are not understood and not highly prioritized there.

The workspace itself is gray, dark, lifeless and depressing. Insist on a tour of the floor if you get an onsite interview.

There is no process (letter of warning, bad review, etc.) for termination. One day you will simply be informed your employment is over. I observed many totally unexpected terminations of hardworking and talented individuals and no explanation of any substance was ever provided. I've spoken with other former employees and the "ambush firing" is apparently standard practice there. So if you join the Times don't ever assume anything about the security of your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementForce engineering and product managers to make a data-driven case for any major new functionality or products.

Get rid of the innovation challenge or require teams to be much larger. As it is, it breeds internal competitiveness and overly individualized ambition (and rarely leads to a real product anyway). 100% day has similar problems. Require large teams for entry into any of the hackathon-ish activities there. (Also, stop trying so hard to be google without even knowing why you're doing so).

Encourage simpler architectures and maintainability in software design. DISCOURAGE OVERDESIGN and really, really audit for it. (Ask yourselves why NYT5 took so long.)

Discourage reinventing the wheel when there is a much better wheel than one you could ever hope to develop internally already available in open source form (or in a form costing far less than the equivalent developer time). And audit for it.

Hire a CTO who understands the tech industry has become the data industry, and that how the nytimes uses data and plans its data strategies is astronomically more important than which javascript framework is chosen.

Have a peek at the number of barely-used aws instances generating multi-thousand-dollar bills every month. AWS (as used by nyt) is not only a ridiculously cash-wasteful hosting model, but incurs a huge developer overhead when the unwieldiness of nimbul, the role system, and the convoluted hostnaming schemes are factored in. It's a horrible system and, at the very least, someone needs to conduct a thorough analysis of its costs and impacts on productivity.

Put some ephing supplies (and kleenex!) in the supply cabinets! Every previous and subsequent company I've worked for has provided snacks, drinks, and a bounty of other supplies and amenities. The times offices are totally barren.

Fix the elevator algorithm.

It was very good.

Senior Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Times full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRelax Atmosphere, nice people, great office.

ConsLess opportunities for growth, less challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for your resources.

Stable company with opportunity to learn a lot providing reasonably good benefits.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at New York Times full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDiverse set of employees and flexible work hours make this company attractive to any employee. The reputation of the newspaper and history is well known around the world. Barring normal exceptions, people are generally good to each other. There is ample opportunity to intermingle with colleagues. Play after hours and relax.

ConsLimited growth potential. Too much hierarchical structure. Often managers are not competent. Sometimes projects are inundated by individuals ego and aspiration to prove your point rather than looking at the overall big picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the number of managers and empower staff more.

Talented people, great business challenges to tackle, pay is not the reason you stay

I have been working at New York Times full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat brand performing as well as it ever has, focused on the right business challenges, lot of experimentation and innovation.

ConsAs part of a profit-challenged sector, the pay is mid-level at best and annual increases are not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more new leadership talent.

A great, commited staff operating in a stifling management structure

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Times full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people who care about the company. An awesome, respected brand. Reasonable benefits. An awesome place to work on your skills.

ConsVapid promotion path for technical roles. Highly variable experience depending on team. Teams operate in silos and interdependence is managed poorly. Editorial vision interpenetrates everything, sometimes to a fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Times is still very much an organization in the middle of a huge transition. It's understandable that there's still a lot of tweaking to be done in structuring the tech departments, and great strides were made during my time there. That said, there's still a long way to go before the organization is truly "agile."

Too much pressure is put on development managers who work directly on teams in technical roles alongside engineers. More could be done to alleviate the burden of meetings and planning on these roles to allow them to focus on product quality, especially testing and quality assurance. Mid-level management is far too focused on rubber stamps and outdated heuristics of product quality. Time to market is atrocious due to all the various management approvals that good continuous integration practices could obviate.

The summation of these problems leads to a lack of oversight, resulting in "stay safe" management practices that greatly impede innovation. Managers who are risk-adverse (to a fault) seem to be placed in charge of the most ambitious projects and get the most resources. This contributes to a brain drain on fresh talent; a lot of the best leave the quickest when their opportunities to learn and innovate are exhausted by the red tape.

A little more direction from the top wouldn't be a bad thing! It's ok to demand that effort be put into certain things that help everyone... at least make sure that teams are making progress towards sound documentation and decent test coverage.

Worked for New York Times? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Times reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York Times CEO Mark Thompson. All 81 reviews posted anonymously by New York Times employees.