New York Life

New York Life Reviews

Updated Aug 01, 2014

New York Life Chairman, President & CEO Ted Mathas

Ted Mathas

Pros
  • They provide a great training ground for how to sell and scripts to use when selling (in 48 reviews)

• Their compensation package is excellent and they have a superb I mean superb training program (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to hassle friends and family to buy useless products (in 32 reviews)

• No base salary (you will invest in the company before they invest in you) (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Summer Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was treated like a valued employee and was given the same level of work as some of the associates

ConsThe company has many locations in the tri state area, making phone and video conferences a common mode of interaction as opposed to face to face working relationships

Sales

Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Windsor, ON

ProsGreat training for new hires.

ConsManagement only care about their own asses

Solid company and great career but need reserves to get started.

Agent (Former Employee) Bala Cynwyd, PA (US)

ProsGreat training and partners really do want you to succeed (perhaps only because it helps THEIR bottom line), but regardless, do not listen to those who say partners don't care, because the better you do, the more money they make, so it doesn't make sense for them to bring you on and leave you to the wolves. Training is great, very knowledgeable partners and trainers, vibrant and fast paced atmosphere. Make your own schedule but initially expect to come in to the office quite a bit for training, etc.

ConsIt'll take awhile to get paid. You first need to get PTAS contract approved, then develop the business and place 5 life policies and $1500 in FYC before they will trigger you to TAS and pay you. In the meantime you are going to be spending money on gas and tolls to drive all over creation to meet with prospects, you need your own computer, in my case I needed to buy suits. During PTAS need to have some savings, a part time job, or a well off spouse/significant other to get rolling. Realistically give it 6 months before you can start supporting yourself. Will be hard work and long hours but if you enjoy the work it's not an issue. Must be thick skinned. You WILL be contacting friends and family, not necessarily to sell to but at least for referrals, so make sure you are comfortable with that.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly advice would be to add a signing bonus/base salary, even a minimal one. If I could have just broke even at first rather than going into the red to get up and running I'd still be an agent there. If you're looking for a career change this is a great place to start in this business, one of the tops in the industry in size and reputation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love my job!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule
    Work life balance encouraged
    Great benefits
    Competitive salary
    Lots of room for career advancement
    Engaging work

ConsNo full time telecommute positions available yet

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider full time telecommute opportunities for employees. Lots of companies are going this route such as United Healthcare. It can be successful and a great way to continue to promote work life balance.

Great Company to work for

ProsGreat training, great management, make your own hours

ConsYou must have people to call. If you don't have names to call you don't make any money.

Great place to wok but very challenging with discipline

Agent (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsUnlimited potential
    make own hours
    no boss

ConsStraight commission
    finding new clients

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp with finding new clients

A good opportunity for the right person

Agent (Current Employee) White Plains, NY (US)

ProsExcellent training program, great products, good support structures

ConsProspecting is the most important part of this job and this component can be very challenging - especially when your personal/warm market runs out. People can become defensive/hostile when you ask them specific questions about their financial situation, which is a required part of the first appointment FNA (financial needs analysis). I personally disliked this part so much I chose not to continue on as an agent. For the right person, however, this job can be a good fit. It's possible to make an excellent income in time with this job.

Excellent

Agent (Current Employee) Scranton, PA (US)

ProsGrowth potential. Renewals are awesome.

ConsThis is your own business. So success is in your hands

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

A growing (and changing) company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany has a commitment for the long term and strives to remain contemporary in an industry that's slow to change. Great education benefits for folks interested in study at the in-house university. Sales teams are quite dedicated.

ConsYou need to take advantage of everything the company offers, which, some of which may not be apparent at first. Can also take awhile to find your place with the organization--though the company does encourage moving around (after the first year).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear about your direction and be certain that the relevant teams are in agreement before going forward.

Great company great job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company culture and values
    Better benefits than most companies
    Recognize importance of people

ConsLonger work hours and big work load
    Good senior management
    Less politics

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!