New York Life

Updated 22 September, 2014
3.3

New York Life Chairman, President & CEO Ted Mathas
Ted Mathas

Pros
  • They provide a great training ground for how to sell and scripts to use when selling (in 48 reviews)

• Their compensation package is excellent and they have a superb I mean superb training program (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to hassle friends and family to buy useless products (in 32 reviews)

• No base salary (you will invest in the company before they invest in you) (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Summer Intern

I worked at New York Life as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was treated like a valued employee and was given the same level of work as some of the associates

Cons

The company has many locations in the tri state area, making phone and video conferences a common mode of interaction as opposed to face to face working relationships

Sales

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant  in  Windsor, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Windsor, ON

I worked at New York Life part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training for new hires.

Cons

Management only care about their own asses

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with NYL as I felt like a true member of the team within such a short time period.

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York Life as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff and managers, great balance of work and life, competitive pay, multiple outside work activities.

Cons

I wish I had more training.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company for the right person

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional  in  Orange, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Orange, CA (US)

I have been working at New York Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility of schedule is a huge benefit. Ability to purchase I Shares through MainStay investments w/o sales load is great. Ability to work as hard (or not) as you wish. Truly does have unlimited income potential - for the right person and the right personality.

Cons

Make sure when you sign up you really know your manager, their philosophy, their target market, their leadership style! I cannot stress this enough! My first manager was HORRIBLE! Actually insulted 2 of my close friends when insisting to come to initial meetings. Not much support if you don't rent an office in the building.

Work with staff more closely to setup teams for those who desire to have camaraderie.

Great company to work for

I have been working at New York Life

Pros

Great company to work for. The people are great to work with and the benefits are wonderful. I worked there for 15 years

Cons

The management in my department was not very good at all.

Take better care of your people and stop showing favortism.

Identity crisis

Former Employee - Financial Service Professional  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Service Professional in New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Well-recognized company
    - established business units and distribution channels that you can gain experience in
    - being a mutual makes it less stressful but it's easy for things to fester.

Cons

- life insurance is king, if you are in any of the other business units it's easy to be pushed aside
    - CEO is running amuck doesn't have to answer to anyone due to executive retirements. Can get petty and that trickles down to managers. So that great 'we're all in this together feel' is eroding.

Rewarding

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at New York Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to set your own hours

Cons

100% commission. Trying to hard to sell the dream

Be more upfront with the new crew

Great management team and collaboration.

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at New York Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HUGE on training and development. Tons of growth opportunities. Management is very hands on, and always willing to help with development and mentorship programs. Room for growth and overall well being in the company. Great benefit package and a very lucrative pension plan for those planning on staying with the company 25+years. Very thriving company and trusted brand. Always there to help the customer when needed.

Cons

Long hours, and considerable amount of time in the field.
    Lot's of outreach and time out networking, looking for leads, and building a market. Definitely not for someone that doesn't have thick skin. Lots more positives than negatives.

Overall GREAT experience with management and staff

Agent

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Annapolis, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Annapolis, MD (US)

I worked at New York Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has a great reputation to build your business on. Flexible schedule once certain sales goals are met.

Cons

Straight commission and a "What have you done for me lately?" attitude that is persistent from all levels of management. Sales quotas were so demanding that there was always a threat of losing job due to automatic termination of contract that is out of the control of management. I actually tried to leave the company after 6 months but was told I was had not given the business a chance unless I tried for three years. It turns out the three years is tied to the bonuses that management receives once a recruit hits their three year anniversary.

I also think that management should be more selective in who they hire. It was embarrassing who was considered a colleague once you were able to observe the lack of people skills that were exhibited from these new hires.

Back up your words with actions and I don't mean just as the end of the quarter is approaching. Be a little more discerning when you hire. I know it is a numbers game but have a little respect for the company name. Stop being so self-serving. You are damaging peoples lives if this is truly not the career for them.

No upward mobility

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Sleepy Hollow, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Sleepy Hollow, NY (US)

I have been working at New York Life full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

New york life has a good cafeteria in the Home Office but as of late, that's all the pro's I can think of.

Cons

Re-org = layoffs for the past few years. No communication from management before during or after. Rumor mill running wild about oct 2014. Get ready if your about to turn 5o and are making a decent salary. Your time will be up.

Be human

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!