www.neustar.biz

Updated 11 December, 2014
2.9

Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook
Lisa A. Hook

Pros
  • Company has great benefits, it's one of the reasons people stay (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefit including work life balance, 401K and insurance etc (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clear or effective strategy to make new company acquisitions work (in 12 reviews)

• The company is a constant reorg mode with little to no strategic thought in the reorg (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Neustar is hitting on all cylinders

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Innovative company way a head of the curve
    - Top tier people, processes, products and services
    - Friendly environment, people here treat each other like family
    - Neustar sells a lot of products and services
    - Quotas are realistic and achievable

Cons

- Not sure why Neustar isn't a house hold name but it should be

- Bulk up on Marketing (guess every Sales Rep says that)
    - We've got an incredible story
    - The world needs to know
    - We'll all benefit

One of the Worst I have worked for - Neustart IISG (UltraDNS / Webmetrics)

Current Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a job during the economic downturn.

Cons

Management are managers not leaders. Lack of cohesive vision. Lack of customer service. Company was not looking out for customer's best interest. Licensing designed to cause customers to have unplanned overages and have to find non budgeted funding. Lack of understanding / no interest in understanding what activity leads to new business. Management does not listen to team members.

If you don't have happy employees and customers what is the point... Change what you stand for.

Liars, bait and switch, ego based management, reward and promotions strictly on politics, closed minded orderly approach

Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

none, really, the nice and most qualified people left the company. It is going downhill, like the stock. — There are only about 4-5 people I consider worthwhile coworkers, and only two of them are in management.

Cons

lower experienced management promoted through politics, decline of people skills in new management, does not value loyal staff devoted to good work. More value for hierarchical claim of credit than open discussion and deserved recognition. I see new junior workers treated rudely and devalued for no reason. I think they are hired to boost lower skilled management egos, really. It is no longer a supportive collaborative environment. People use the blame game to cover their own mistakes rather than to resolve. … I was actually told while working there to work slower and not post all of my work on confluence so the lead developer did not appear to be behind, and to make her look like a better worker. It was one of the more boring jobs I've held. I'm looking forward to getting back to working with more genuine people with less corporate cover ups. … The bait and switch of others is unethical. One day someone was told told they will get help with a work visa for helping the company and dumped for no reason of performance when the time of need came. I have seen others told promises of training in front of a group of people and pulled aside within 5 minutes to be told it is not true, The new management is not trustworthy. Neustar does not deserve your good work. It has a lot of shallow marketing to save face, though that is deep as it goes. Sincerely.

Contractors, even after 3 years, are considered worthless and do not get any incentives, raises, or thanks. When you have a lot of indian people on your staff a party at a stake house for a company is moronic. Indians are Vegetarian- duh. Your talk about career with the company is just insincere marketing words. — I would suggest a clean sweep of your politicians and those who are sweeping people under the run to cover up for their mistakes. I would suggests you take an approach to review design more efficiently, live up to your promises, educate your management on ethics, on create a place where bouncing ideas off the walls are acceptable to sort thoguh the ok and the ones that really work. You have a corporate climb mentatlity now that has shown more defensiveness on who is wright and who is wrong. In actuality it is all the darts we throw that get to the best answer. I remember there was a time I used to love meeting with my coworkers to get some progress done and now it is like a a thankless authority game. It used to be a fun and rewarding place to work that is now just politics. Good luck with your Hitler of today..

The Big Identity Crisis

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The chemistry was great initially. they encouraged corporate culture and promoted corporate events. neustar makes a concerted effort to break into the best workplace list. Catered events and wellness programs are great.

Cons

Constantly changing direction and corporate message to the public. They constantly add additional responsibilities or change targets mid year without additional compensation.

Sad to see

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can’t beat the benefits. They are highly competitive in healthcare, 401k match. They also offer an employee stock purchase plan, although I’m not sure I’d call that a benefit at this point.

Cons

Meet mini-microsoft. Neustar is a collection of companies all of whom have been purchased with the $400mm+/year the NPAC provides. The result is 30 companies within a (relatively small) company. Mix in a CEO who is trying to wedge her way into the online ad space but who lacks the ability to be a B-level sales rep in the industry. The result is she goes in the direction that the loudest bird in her ear suggests. Every couple of years there is a new direction being charted and it is increasingly being charted into waters that the executive team is unqualified to navigate. With each course correction there is a major acquisition and although the companies being acquired are increasingly smaller the egos of the executives brought aboard are increasingly large. With the NPAC going away top talent is leaving faster than low level talent can be fired (There is a lot of that too.)

Ride it out until the NPAC rebid process plays out. But, if it is lost the CEO and the people who ride her coattails need to be rapidly flushed and a person with his or her own vision needs to be brought in.

Neustar

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

is a great company to work for excellent benefits.

Cons

Micro Management. High turn over. Poor training.

Give your staff a adequate amount of time to learn the technology especially when they are a top performer.

The used car sales of the technology world!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA (US)

I worked at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and recognition for top performers

Cons

High turnover, solutions not competitive in the marketplace,

Do more to help your reps be successful rather than simply micro managing them

A salesperson paradise

I have been working at Neustar

Pros

a growing list of products to sell... a comp plan that rewards those that can close... advancement opportunity for those that are interested... great benefits

Cons

Sales Ops... they are the one weak link at Neustar... It's often times harder to sell a deal internally than it is to sell it externally... there is high turn over but that is true of any sales organization

Stop hiring people without relevant sales experience... The head count in sales is too high... A leaner more efficient sales staff will put up bigger numbers

An opportunity to work alongside some very sharp people.

Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Brisbane, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Brisbane, CA (US)

I worked at Neustar

Pros

It is a large, publicly traded company with opportunity to sell leading edge technology. There are weekly product training webinars.

Cons

It is a pressure filled atmosphere. You have to make alot of phone calls if you are in the sales department.

The new CEO should keep the innovation going, and develop plans to successfully compete with other companies in the same space.

Do not take a job here if you are looking for a future with a company

Current Employee - Global Account Executive in Brisbane, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Global Account Executive in Brisbane, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar

Pros

Great products with an opportunity to become a great company.

Cons

Overpriced DNS product that even management can't justify the price. Their only answer to the pricing objection is to throw 2 free months of service at the client on a "soft" contract that they count to their sales number, what a joke! Still being an employee here, I need to see a change at the top to want to stay here with the company in it's current panic mode state and looking to get rid of everybody on the bottom to justify their own jobs. The job gives you an ulcer. The management does 2 meetings a day with each other instead of being on the floor to help and assist newer reps ramping up, this is a horrible waste of time and upper management resources. The turnover rate at this company is higher than I have ever seen at another company in the Tech industry.

Get rid of the Director of Sales, something has to change. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results