www.neustar.biz

Updated 9 January, 2015
2.9

Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook
Lisa A. Hook

Pros
  • Company has great benefits, it's one of the reasons people stay (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefit including work life balance, 401K and insurance etc (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clear or effective strategy to make new company acquisitions work (in 12 reviews)

• The company is a constant reorg mode with little to no strategic thought in the reorg (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Review

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Neustar

Pros

Benefits
    Work Life Balance - some people are able to swing a lot of Life and not a lot of Work
    This Pro is also a Con, extremely lenient work from home policy

Cons

- Some Director level and most VP level management lack leadership and responsibility.
    - Work Life Balance - some employees do a lot of life and not a lot of work.
    - No cohesive company culture - disjointed between local offices and mothership - no one talks or mingles in the same building if you are in a different dept/division
    - Wastes money on frivolous items e.g. 4 different expresso machines some costing over $2K
    - 20 something Director level management publicly humiliating others and no action take to correct this inappropriate behavior
    - No commitment to direction, every quarter a new strategy
    - Lack of urgency to complete projects on time, resulting in projects not being on time.

I don't have a problem with Upper Management per se. Leadership in the business units is uneven and most often weak. Communication is horrible, leadership needs to disseminate information in an appropriate fashion and be leaders.

Neustar is hitting on all cylinders

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Innovative company way a head of the curve
    - Top tier people, processes, products and services
    - Friendly environment, people here treat each other like family
    - Neustar sells a lot of products and services
    - Quotas are realistic and achievable

Cons

- Not sure why Neustar isn't a house hold name but it should be

- Bulk up on Marketing (guess every Sales Rep says that)
    - We've got an incredible story
    - The world needs to know
    - We'll all benefit

One of the Worst I have worked for - Neustart IISG (UltraDNS / Webmetrics)

Current Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a job during the economic downturn.

Cons

Management are managers not leaders. Lack of cohesive vision. Lack of customer service. Company was not looking out for customer's best interest. Licensing designed to cause customers to have unplanned overages and have to find non budgeted funding. Lack of understanding / no interest in understanding what activity leads to new business. Management does not listen to team members.

If you don't have happy employees and customers what is the point... Change what you stand for.

Liars, bait and switch, ego based management, reward and promotions strictly on politics, closed minded orderly approach

Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

none, really, the nice and most qualified people left the company. It is going downhill, like the stock. — There are only about 4-5 people I consider worthwhile coworkers, and only two of them are in management.

Cons

lower experienced management promoted through politics, decline of people skills in new management, does not value loyal staff devoted to good work. More value for hierarchical claim of credit than open discussion and deserved recognition. I see new junior workers treated rudely and devalued for no reason. I think they are hired to boost lower skilled management egos, really. It is no longer a supportive collaborative environment. People use the blame game to cover their own mistakes rather than to resolve. … I was actually told while working there to work slower and not post all of my work on confluence so the lead developer did not appear to be behind, and to make her look like a better worker. It was one of the more boring jobs I've held. I'm looking forward to getting back to working with more genuine people with less corporate cover ups. … The bait and switch of others is unethical. One day someone was told told they will get help with a work visa for helping the company and dumped for no reason of performance when the time of need came. I have seen others told promises of training in front of a group of people and pulled aside within 5 minutes to be told it is not true, The new management is not trustworthy. Neustar does not deserve your good work. It has a lot of shallow marketing to save face, though that is deep as it goes. Sincerely.

Contractors, even after 3 years, are considered worthless and do not get any incentives, raises, or thanks. When you have a lot of indian people on your staff a party at a stake house for a company is moronic. Indians are Vegetarian- duh. Your talk about career with the company is just insincere marketing words. — I would suggest a clean sweep of your politicians and those who are sweeping people under the run to cover up for their mistakes. I would suggests you take an approach to review design more efficiently, live up to your promises, educate your management on ethics, on create a place where bouncing ideas off the walls are acceptable to sort thoguh the ok and the ones that really work. You have a corporate climb mentatlity now that has shown more defensiveness on who is wright and who is wrong. In actuality it is all the darts we throw that get to the best answer. I remember there was a time I used to love meeting with my coworkers to get some progress done and now it is like a a thankless authority game. It used to be a fun and rewarding place to work that is now just politics. Good luck with your Hitler of today..

The Big Identity Crisis

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The chemistry was great initially. they encouraged corporate culture and promoted corporate events. neustar makes a concerted effort to break into the best workplace list. Catered events and wellness programs are great.

Cons

Constantly changing direction and corporate message to the public. They constantly add additional responsibilities or change targets mid year without additional compensation.

Sad to see

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can’t beat the benefits. They are highly competitive in healthcare, 401k match. They also offer an employee stock purchase plan, although I’m not sure I’d call that a benefit at this point.

Cons

Meet mini-microsoft. Neustar is a collection of companies all of whom have been purchased with the $400mm+/year the NPAC provides. The result is 30 companies within a (relatively small) company. Mix in a CEO who is trying to wedge her way into the online ad space but who lacks the ability to be a B-level sales rep in the industry. The result is she goes in the direction that the loudest bird in her ear suggests. Every couple of years there is a new direction being charted and it is increasingly being charted into waters that the executive team is unqualified to navigate. With each course correction there is a major acquisition and although the companies being acquired are increasingly smaller the egos of the executives brought aboard are increasingly large. With the NPAC going away top talent is leaving faster than low level talent can be fired (There is a lot of that too.)

Ride it out until the NPAC rebid process plays out. But, if it is lost the CEO and the people who ride her coattails need to be rapidly flushed and a person with his or her own vision needs to be brought in.

Neustar

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

is a great company to work for excellent benefits.

Cons

Micro Management. High turn over. Poor training.

Give your staff a adequate amount of time to learn the technology especially when they are a top performer.

The used car sales of the technology world!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA (US)

I worked at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and recognition for top performers

Cons

High turnover, solutions not competitive in the marketplace,

Do more to help your reps be successful rather than simply micro managing them

A salesperson paradise

Current Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA (US)

I have been working at Neustar

Pros

a growing list of products to sell... a comp plan that rewards those that can close... advancement opportunity for those that are interested... great benefits

Cons

Sales Ops... they are the one weak link at Neustar... It's often times harder to sell a deal internally than it is to sell it externally... there is high turn over but that is true of any sales organization

Stop hiring people without relevant sales experience... The head count in sales is too high... A leaner more efficient sales staff will put up bigger numbers