Netflix Reviews

Updated 21 August, 2014

3.6

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true (in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Mistake of a lifetime. Total career suicide. Hillsboro

Former Employee - Csr1  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paydays, quitting time, seeing your superiors fail.

Cons

How about...an unspoken policy of fear, day in, day out. Managers that are ignorant, uneducated, selfish, and stupid. Oh, and flunkie "team supervisors" that get promoted to the position only because they know how to suck up and let themselves get abused by management...Oh, there was so much more. This is flat-out the WORST company I've ever worked for. They laid me off because of my "call time average" was 7 seconds, yes...SECONDS, over their silly weekly limit. In reality, they laid me off because I was 50, and have medical problems. Oh, I hope I live to see the day when someone sues the hell out of them. I just can't wait. I have never wanted for a company to fail, but I want them to.

Reed, pay attention, you little weasel. Why don't you sell this company so someone with someone with a soul can run it. Are we clear? You, Dude, SUCK!!!!

Culture of fear...and (possibly) loathing

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Relative to some Bay Area companies, Netflix pays about 10% to 20% better. Meaning, if you're unqualified, you'll get better pay than someone who is more qualified doing the same job in another Bay Area company. Altho, I hear this is changing and Netflix will only give you a raise if you can find someone in the Bay Area with the exact title and responsibilities who make more. Contrary to the buzz about Netflix being a tech innovator, it's become a "Hollywood" company. What drives Netflix is the Netflix "produced" shows; not the "innovative" streaming technology - Hollywood runs Netflix; not Los Gatos.

Cons

Since many people are only at Netflix for the higher than average salary, there is a culture of fear whereby people are constantly worried about their employment status in the company and will, unfortunately, submit to their baser instincts to do whatever it takes to keep their job. As for a high-performing culture, I guess it's relative but I've worked with much much more talented people elsewhere. Netflix is a great place if you are average and are able to keep upper management for figuring out that you are just average and are willing to do whatever it takes to keep up that facade. It's a less than ideal place if you are truly innovative and want to do amazing "new" things. Again, the new thing at Netflix is producing new shows; not technology.

You've done a great job of positioning Netflix as a high-performing place so that those who don't work at Netflix believe this to be the case, now, live up to this which is much harder said than done.

Sr. Weblogic Architect

Former Employee - Senior Weblogic Architect  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Weblogic Architect in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Nice company to work with NetFlix. No body compete salary in the Bay Area. Good Environment. You will get nice free lunch every day.

Cons

Netflix have to improve from Management Side..

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over matrixed under thought out

Former Employee - Senior Supervisor  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Supervisor in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced, energetic place to work. The compensation was great, and the tools at our disposal were more than adequate to build and retain strong teams.

Cons

To much reliance on matrix and not enough on individuality that empowers employees to do great things. While we had great tools, were were not given the autonomy to use them effectively. Good people had to be let go for arbitrary reasons, and other that should move on are kept.

Reward creativity, relax a wee bit, and never ever hire more people than you really need. Doing so creates problems down the road that are not good for anyone.

Great company with a big let down on a management decision

I worked at Netflix as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great environment, and abundance of smart people, great managers,

Cons

some management decisions can be made without proper research.

don't allow outside influences affect how you hire...

Netflix is a high performance atmosphere that allows you the freedom to use your judgement on your calls verses scripts.

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Feedback is appreciated and constantly given.

Cons

Lack of moving up. Tenure is not considered at all.

None.

Invaluable experience, 1 year working at Netflix = 3 years elsewhere.

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Very smart, self-motivated colleagues
    - Flat organization
    - Fast and constantly innovating
    - Clear feedback
    - Huge importance put on freedom and responsibility
    - Unbeatable vacation policy
    - Big impact doing any role
    - Ability to be a part of overall business strategy

Cons

- Tendency to debate, even on small decisions
    - Extreme adherence to testing and data

Find more ways for employees to grow

Highly political culture, dysfunctional.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay and the Netflix name helps on your resume, since most people outside do not know how bad it is inside.

Cons

Mind numbing. Stress. Constantly watching your back. There are people who have very high title (Directors, Managers, even VPs) who got it because they've managed to stay there the longest. Not because they are qualified for the job. The long timer/oldtimers survived by CYA each others. Those who they think are dangerous to their job will get the knife in the back.

It's not how good you are. It's how well you "play the game" and "fit in with the political culture". They value "safe" decisions that do not rock the boat. At least in the IT Ops dept that I worked in.

Get your head out of the cloud once in a while. There's real problem underneath. Engineering got tired of the dysfunctional IT Ops group, and built their own infrastructure so they don't have to deal with incompetent people.

Best thing to do is fire everyone in Ops, and start fresh.

Repackager (former employee)

Former Employee - Repackager  in  Santa Ana, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Repackager in Santa Ana, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job to get for HS college student

Cons

mindless work with no opportunity

A year at Netflix is equal to 2-3 years most other places -- talent density creates accomplishment density.

Current Employee - Director Engineering  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director Engineering in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast-moving. Few bureaucratic distractions. Willing to make big, disruptive changes quickly. The move to original content was smart and will propel growth well into the future.

If you function well in a meritocracy, then you will likely be successful at Netflix.

Cons

They're getting big, and that growth is adding pressure to sacrifice some elements of their culture that made them unique and a desirable place to work.

The quality of talent getting hired or promoted now is much less impressive than in the earlier years.

The environment is increasingly political, which may be related to the hiring/promotion of more average, less-impressive employees.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!