Netflix Reviews

Updated 29 September, 2014
3.7

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 30 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Different Culture

Former Employee - Content Team  in  Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Content Team in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with highly intelligent individuals, free lunches, snacks sodas. your peers are great people that you will enjoy spending time around. On the peer level it is a very welcoming atmosphere.

Cons

Work Life balance is horrible, no room to grow or it takes 8+ years. Extremely high turn over whether it be employees leaving or arbitrary 'Lay Offs'

No advice - it would be a waste of breath. Management, gets their orders from way above your level. It's a very, very large corporation where advice or ideas aren't welcomed.

Good experience, difficult job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Decent employee benefits
    -Fellow employees are great
    -Not too much direct oversight/too many meetings
    -Training was excellent and engaging

Cons

Performance metrics seem reasonable at first, but it's nearly impossible to meet some of them. For example, one of your metrics is the percentage of "No" answers you get from the survey at the end of the call asking customers if they were satisfied, but this system is relatively flawed.

Give employees a bit more breathing room, and you'll have a much happier workforce.

Awesome place to work

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Great co workers, benefits, and awesome atmosphere. Management is awesome and the job is easy to get the hang of.

Cons

Can deal with some angry customers and the job can get kind of repetitive. But overall best place I've worked for.

Be good at your job and follow the rules

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dynamic is not always a good thing.

Former Employee - Disposition Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Disposition Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Company is very motivated to make improvements and will not hesitate to try any path towards innovation. Therefore, things are constantly changing and providing a challenge.
    -Decent wages and benefits.
    -Flexible schedules

Cons

-Since company readily implements improvements, and not all initiatives are successful, there is a great deal of back tracking and job ambiguity.
    -Very fickle in requirements and needs

Customer Service Training

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are very hard to please. Hard to maintain good numbers when the service is the issue.

Cons

I have nothing to add.

None

Nice while it lasted, not everything it is cut out to be.

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lunch, brand that people are aware of.

Cons

Management overall is quite bad. Most people get promoted to the role based on seniority, not on actual ability to lead and mentor others.

No place like it!

Former Employee - QC, Digital Supply Chain  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - QC, Digital Supply Chain in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Worked with a great team; scrupulous attention to quality; great opportunities to stretch one's wings and pursue new skills; great food.

Cons

Inconsistencies within the workplace and the "culture deck." Loss of excellent team members when projects ended or were terminated.

Rethink the "Expect to be laid off" mentality; Retraining team members who could have been co-opted into new projects could give Netflix new vitality

Excellent

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Productive culture that embraces new technology and gives you the ability to make decisions. Company makes you want to always do better, faster.

Cons

People in high ranking positions that are smart but can't manage. This results in high turnover and exceptional people leaving. There are several Directors/VP's that have no management experience. This really hurts the organization. Keep Beverly Hills in Beverly Hills. Content is not the same as Engineering.

Reevaluate Talent Team and Leadership. Do research when filling high-level positions. Just because someone is smart, doesn't mean that they can lead.

Mistake of a lifetime. Total career suicide. Hillsboro

Former Employee - Csr1  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paydays, quitting time, seeing your superiors fail.

Cons

How about...an unspoken policy of fear, day in, day out. Managers that are ignorant, uneducated, selfish, and stupid. Oh, and flunkie "team supervisors" that get promoted to the position only because they know how to suck up and let themselves get abused by management...Oh, there was so much more. This is flat-out the WORST company I've ever worked for. They laid me off because of my "call time average" was 7 seconds, yes...SECONDS, over their silly weekly limit. In reality, they laid me off because I was 50, and have medical problems. Oh, I hope I live to see the day when someone sues the hell out of them. I just can't wait. I have never wanted for a company to fail, but I want them to.

Reed, pay attention, you little weasel. Why don't you sell this company so someone with someone with a soul can run it. Are we clear? You, Dude, SUCK!!!!

Culture of fear...and (possibly) loathing

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Relative to some Bay Area companies, Netflix pays about 10% to 20% better. Meaning, if you're unqualified, you'll get better pay than someone who is more qualified doing the same job in another Bay Area company. Altho, I hear this is changing and Netflix will only give you a raise if you can find someone in the Bay Area with the exact title and responsibilities who make more. Contrary to the buzz about Netflix being a tech innovator, it's become a "Hollywood" company. What drives Netflix is the Netflix "produced" shows; not the "innovative" streaming technology - Hollywood runs Netflix; not Los Gatos.

Cons

Since many people are only at Netflix for the higher than average salary, there is a culture of fear whereby people are constantly worried about their employment status in the company and will, unfortunately, submit to their baser instincts to do whatever it takes to keep their job. As for a high-performing culture, I guess it's relative but I've worked with much much more talented people elsewhere. Netflix is a great place if you are average and are able to keep upper management for figuring out that you are just average and are willing to do whatever it takes to keep up that facade. It's a less than ideal place if you are truly innovative and want to do amazing "new" things. Again, the new thing at Netflix is producing new shows; not technology.

You've done a great job of positioning Netflix as a high-performing place so that those who don't work at Netflix believe this to be the case, now, live up to this which is much harder said than done.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!