Netflix Reviews

Updated 21 August, 2014

3.6

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true (in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Never a lull in the action

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast paced environment. The company seemed to really appreciate all employees no matter what level they were. Benefits package was set up so that you pocketed some or all of the allotted money set aside for medical, etc. if you did not use it. Too bad all medical insurance is not set up this way...

Cons

Very early mornings on certain days, but, that was needed to make shipments arrive to customers quickly. Having to leave early to make labor costs. As a result, a lot of work ended up being left for the salaried manager. DVD rental side shrinking due to streaming.

Eliminate excess supplies and use that extra money for labor.

Very Different Culture

Former Employee - Content Team  in  Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Content Team in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with highly intelligent individuals, free lunches, snacks sodas. your peers are great people that you will enjoy spending time around. On the peer level it is a very welcoming atmosphere.

Cons

Work Life balance is horrible, no room to grow or it takes 8+ years. Extremely high turn over whether it be employees leaving or arbitrary 'Lay Offs'

No advice - it would be a waste of breath. Management, gets their orders from way above your level. It's a very, very large corporation where advice or ideas aren't welcomed.

Good experience, difficult job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Decent employee benefits
    -Fellow employees are great
    -Not too much direct oversight/too many meetings
    -Training was excellent and engaging

Cons

Performance metrics seem reasonable at first, but it's nearly impossible to meet some of them. For example, one of your metrics is the percentage of "No" answers you get from the survey at the end of the call asking customers if they were satisfied, but this system is relatively flawed.

Give employees a bit more breathing room, and you'll have a much happier workforce.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Great co workers, benefits, and awesome atmosphere. Management is awesome and the job is easy to get the hang of.

Cons

Can deal with some angry customers and the job can get kind of repetitive. But overall best place I've worked for.

Be good at your job and follow the rules

Dynamic is not always a good thing.

Former Employee - Disposition Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Disposition Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Company is very motivated to make improvements and will not hesitate to try any path towards innovation. Therefore, things are constantly changing and providing a challenge.
    -Decent wages and benefits.
    -Flexible schedules

Cons

-Since company readily implements improvements, and not all initiatives are successful, there is a great deal of back tracking and job ambiguity.
    -Very fickle in requirements and needs

Mistake of a lifetime. Total career suicide. Hillsboro

Former Employee - Csr1  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paydays, quitting time, seeing your superiors fail.

Cons

How about...an unspoken policy of fear, day in, day out. Managers that are ignorant, uneducated, selfish, and stupid. Oh, and flunkie "team supervisors" that get promoted to the position only because they know how to suck up and let themselves get abused by management...Oh, there was so much more. This is flat-out the WORST company I've ever worked for. They laid me off because of my "call time average" was 7 seconds, yes...SECONDS, over their silly weekly limit. In reality, they laid me off because I was 50, and have medical problems. Oh, I hope I live to see the day when someone sues the hell out of them. I just can't wait. I have never wanted for a company to fail, but I want them to.

Reed, pay attention, you little weasel. Why don't you sell this company so someone with someone with a soul can run it. Are we clear? You, Dude, SUCK!!!!

Customer Service Training

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are very hard to please. Hard to maintain good numbers when the service is the issue.

Cons

I have nothing to add.

None

Nice while it lasted, not everything it is cut out to be.

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lunch, brand that people are aware of.

Cons

Management overall is quite bad. Most people get promoted to the role based on seniority, not on actual ability to lead and mentor others.

No place like it!

Former Employee - QC, Digital Supply Chain  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - QC, Digital Supply Chain in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Worked with a great team; scrupulous attention to quality; great opportunities to stretch one's wings and pursue new skills; great food.

Cons

Inconsistencies within the workplace and the "culture deck." Loss of excellent team members when projects ended or were terminated.

Rethink the "Expect to be laid off" mentality; Retraining team members who could have been co-opted into new projects could give Netflix new vitality

Excellent

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Productive culture that embraces new technology and gives you the ability to make decisions. Company makes you want to always do better, faster.

Cons

People in high ranking positions that are smart but can't manage. This results in high turnover and exceptional people leaving. There are several Directors/VP's that have no management experience. This really hurts the organization. Keep Beverly Hills in Beverly Hills. Content is not the same as Engineering.

Reevaluate Talent Team and Leadership. Do research when filling high-level positions. Just because someone is smart, doesn't mean that they can lead.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!