Netflix Reviews

Updated 12 April, 2015
454 reviews filtered by

Lord of the Flies, Inc.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everything that has already been said on this site about compensation is true. If you're lucky enough to stay under the radar long enough, you will be paid well enough to maybe finance a startup venture on the side, or eventually take a more humane job elsewhere for a better work-life balance, or contribute meaningfully to charitable endeavors etc. You also get a good name on your resume that recruiters will be overly impressed by. Newsflash - inflated stock prices and lavish content spending are not a reflection of company quality.

Cons

Make no mistake - Netflix is not for life. You will leave, most likely on their terms (and the few who do try to leave on their own are dealt with in... other ways). But consider yourself fortunate - those "lucky" few who do stay for the long haul have fates worse than death. They become trapped in an inhumane culture of fear that rejects simple human values like decency and interpersonal camaraderie in favor of vicious, Machiavellian "management by termination," until they begin to embody that culture themselves. At Netflix needy, power-hungry executives smart enough to realize they will never - ever- replicate the salaries Netflix pays them anywhere else in industry hold on to those positions for dear life, while brutalizing and undermining anything and anyone perceived to stand in their way, including their subordinates. Awful, awful place. An executive, in a rare moment of candor (perhaps aided and abetted by one too many drinks) once compared the Netflix culture to "Lord of the Flies." Trust me - you would rather spend the rest of your life with the Lord of the Flies kids than spend even 5 minutes working for Netflix. Life is short...let these people remain in their toxic cocoon and face judgment when the time comes. You have options - go do something important, surrounded by people you actually like. I mean, all of this vile behavior, toxicity and heartache for bad library content and overpriced, overhyped originals

Advice to Management

Hire good lawyers for when everything falls apart (and it will) and the lawsuits and SEC investigations begins.

Movies 101

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

The can do, us against the world spirit.

Cons

Hours, lack of bonus, lack of holidays, presure

I loved it thought it was very easy and I love helping people .

I worked at Netflix

Pros

well I want to be successful and I crave success more than ever and I feel like there's more opportunities at this job .

Cons

Trying to help as much people as you can in an orderly manner.

Advice to Management

always think positive.

5. Great place

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every day is different and you can leave it at the door on the way out. Free food.

Cons

DVD side will be closing in a few years.

Fantastic company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom and autonomy. No nonsense around things like expenses, vacation, etc. Just be professional and make sure you're helping you're team be effective and pretty much everything will be okay.

Cons

Since you get near total autonomy, figuring out just _what_ to do can be challenging. You have to consider options carefully. It's also easy to get a bit of imposter syndrome since you're working with some of the very top names in the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Only thing I would maybe change is to add a bit more emphasis on the importance of building personal brand and a bit more transparency about how compensation review works.

Great Company to Work for

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Very Stable, great enviroment, excellent remuneration. I have been with the company for over 7 years now and have grown a lot in the company - Both Mentally and Financially ( My salary has more than doubled over my stay).

Culture is a big thing here and if you do not fit then you do not stay.

Cons

There is a culture of freedom and responsibility and if you are coming from an organization which is very bureaucratic you might have a culture shock here. The immediate response people get are, "There is no work-life balance", "There are no controls here"..

When in reality at Netflix expectations are for you to be independent and productive.

Advice to Management

Continue the good work

Trapped & Talented

Current Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lunch, healthcare, experience and unlimited vacations.

Cons

No growth and the culture IS too good to be true, we live and breed fear.

Advice to Management

Management fears there own position that they can't efficiently manage their team.

Great Company, Inexperienced Management

Current Employee - Purchasing in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product, Driven culture, Cross Team Collaboration.

Cons

There are a couple of cons that seem to be proving to become obstacles for productivity. My Director loves to bully and has fired the valuable individuals on our team. She is afraid of anyone that is smarter than her that also contributes and gets recognized for their contribution. Instead of building a great team, sadly this Director manages two unrelated teams with no knowledge on how to manage either. She thrives on driving fear. Sad as most of the people here are genuinely great people.

Advice to Management

Don't sacrifice two great teams for a poor director.

No Job security. Poor Management!

Former Employee - Senior Position in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Position in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay. Benefits and perks. Catered Food.

Cons

No proper training. No room for error or else you will get fired culture. Politics. Arrogant Managers.
    I worked at Netflix for almost 5 years and I've always had great feedback during 360 reviews except for 1 person. That person who was new to the company gave me a bad review last year and that's the reason I lost my job. My manager made that review as a back-up to lay me off and totally lied that I am no longer fit for the job. Feeling betrayed and unjustly fired.

Advice to Management

Be aware.. What goes around comes around!

Best job I have ever had

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent environment for smart and motivated SW devs. Very little politics. Technology leader. Very focused on streaming video on demand. Value smart devs, not 24-7 heros. Tremendous opportunity to influence video and entertainment industries.

Cons

If you are a task-oriented dev, if you need an architect or manager to give you a list of deliverables, you will not do well at Netflix. If you are a control-freak you will not do well.