Netflix Reviews

Updated 12 April, 2015
454 reviews filtered by

Awesome company if you are engineer.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good support, great pay.

Cons

Not for everybody. Manager if he/she is not careful and politically savvy can have short lifetime with a company.

Good positive culture

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Good culture, positive work environment and overall a positive job because people like netflix

Cons

tough to move up even if your performing well. Mostly about politics and making sure the right people know you as there are a lot of employees in the call center. Tough to stand out.

Advice to Management

Was great when you allowed even newly hired CSR employees to purchase company stock using up to 15% of paycheck. When the stock took off and skyrocketed this was immediately taken away which came off as greedy.

Freedom and responsibility...at a great cost

I worked at Netflix

Pros

They will pay you handsomely (while you remain employed) and keep you well-fed. You will also gain a great deal of insight into the subscription video on demand business. Colleagues are generally competent, although at the higher levels there appears to be a greater tolerance for incompetence, which is not surprising given that management by termination appears to be the way of the world here. Good resume name for future job search efforts - which you'll need once you're fired.

Cons

The employees who survive and thrive in the Netflix "hire and fire" culture of fear are literally the coldest, meanest, least personable group of individuals I have ever encountered in my life (although in full disclosure, I have never worked with anyone in ISIS). Arrogant, condescending, mean-spirited, hateful...and those traits describe the nicest people at Netflix. FYI guys - asking a pregnant woman who just informed her boss that she'll be taking maternity leave - albeit jokingly, haha - whether she can terminate her pregnancy in order to get ready for a feature launch is neither funny nor clever. It is sad, misogynistic and illegal. Management created this culture and have successfully fooled Silicon Valley sycophants (and, sadly, far too many over-eager employee recruits like me) into buying this routine for over a decade. I should know, I was one of them. I believed in that farce of a culture deck and bought into the "freedom & responsibility" pablum they feed you almost constantly once you join. It is all false nonsense. If you're insecure, passive-aggressive, easily threatened by colleagues with brains/personality/character/all of the above, then by all means, go for it. There are ~200 open positions at any given time you can apply for. The employees who are stuck in overpaid positions have no choice but to defend their company, under penalty of termination and fear of earning a 1/3 of their salary elsewhere. But you have choices. And if you have a shred of decency, humanity or character, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't care about anything anyone says on Glassdoor, but here's my suggestion - start donating all of your revenue (not profits, since you have none) to charity, and at least attempt to undo all of the bad karma and ill will you have created throughout the years.

5. The culture is the real deal; read the deck. It really is the blueprint for our culture.

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and Responsibility from the culture deck is true
    Super smart people that love what they do
    Awesome brand
    Compensation is top of market

Cons

Things move quickly; sometimes hard to keep up
    High performing culture means there is pressure, but deliver rather than worry and you will be fine

Advice to Management

As we grow we need to consider other means of communication. Memo's are great but we need to find more efficient means of communicating.

Worst place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None. Maybe the pay but I received a better offer from my current employer.

Cons

Political, bureaucratic, catty, micro-managing environment. Inexperienced management. No growth opportunities. Absolutely zero work life balance. Please do yourself a favor and listen to the other reviews on here and work literally anywhere else.

Netflix call center recruiting: hire 15, fire 12 of them the next week.

Former Contractor - Recruiter in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Contractor - Recruiter in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to work, especially for high performers who are treated well day-to-day.
    Lots of freedom in terms of flexible scheduling, how the job gets done, and self-expression - great place to work if you're queer or non-conforming in some aspect.

Cons

Super demanding in terms of performance - which would be fine if there were a well established feedback cycle to let employees know what's expected of them, unfortunately the reality is that people are let go without warning all the time, certainly at the lower levels, but seemingly within management as well, giving the whole organisation a panicked, overworked vibe.

I didn't like it to much

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Fun environment if you are young

Cons

Hours, people, survey, they tell you they don't car about your outside life

Advice to Management

Hire more mature people

GSTR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Fun people, you get that home feeling. You will learn a lot about the streaming.

Cons

Changing mangers ever 3 months kinda sucked. And some of the Tier 3 agents can be dicks at times. But overall good place to work......VERY HARD TO ADVANCE IN THAT PLACE, SO GET COMFY IN YOUR POSITION.

Advice to Management

Take the bug out of your butt.

Horrible working conditions

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

The free account was pretty good.

Cons

Managment has no idea what they are doing!

Advice to Management

Get a clue

Will fire you for being 2 minutes late.

Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Great facility. Relaxed atmosphere once you get there

Cons

Will fire you for being late no matter what the reason