Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Apr 04, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros:
  • "Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Good Pay & Fact paced work environment"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover"
    in 18 reviews
  • "You know you're in a culture of fear when the person training your group talks about how they were nearly fired"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Incredible Workplace

Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsLots of interesting work
Lots of opportunity to create new solutions
Lots of incredible people
Lots of money
Lots of other perks
Not political - the best idea wins

ConsIf you aren't a great performer or don't have the constitution for honest feedback (people calling you out, not just on your technical skills but also on your emotional immaturity) you'll get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing the envelope on Freedom & Responsibility

Great coworkers, great pay, work-life balance struggle

I have been working at Netflix full-time

ProsGreat people, full of intelligent hard-workers and top performers. You'll have exceptional coworkers. The company is extremely transparent in every way so you'll always know where you stand.

ConsThe work-life balance is sometimes hard to manage. They expect top performance from everyone, which can take a toll on home life. No vacation policy, yet hard to find a time to take a vacation due to how much work you have.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice here.

A great culture to work for

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
Panama City, FL (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA company that really cares about their employees, has competitive salaries and excellent benefits. If offered a position I highly suggest you take it.

ConsThere really isn't too much to say on the negative side of things about Netflix. There hasn't been on incidence I can think of that has turned me off about the company

Great place to work

Senior Data Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsCulture of freedom and responsibility, brilliant coworkers,

ConsThere are no cons here

Slow decline in customer and employee satisfaction.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI've been around almost 5 years and 5 years ago this was the best place in town to work Where the average rep said they might get 2 angry calls a day, management listened and worked with you, extra perks were provided, though if you are good at your job you mostly get left alone. It is easy to request time off at least.

ConsOver the last 5 years they have gradually removed most perks, computer systems are old broken and questionably secure, chairs are even falling apart, in 5 years no one but management has ever received a raise, this year most of us actually took a paycut for doing more work than we were expected to do when originally hired at the same rate. Schedule changes every 6 months with little to no flexibility for students or parents. Questionable business practices with retaliation if you ask too many questions. Entirely metrics based assessment, some supervisors are very supportive and some give absolutely no support if they respond to questions at all, so your ability to perform your job often does on your luck getting placed with a responsive supervisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has been visibly around though I've personally never had a conversation with any currently employed manager in 5 years, only those managers who have since been fired. So while visibly there also strangely absent and disconnected.

Good company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people, less politics, freedom to use resources

ConsLunches are not good. Only one performance review per year for a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are very open on the information.

Never a lull in the action

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)
Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

ProsFast paced environment. The company seemed to really appreciate all employees no matter what level they were. Benefits package was set up so that you pocketed some or all of the allotted money set aside for medical, etc. if you did not use it. Too bad all medical insurance is not set up this way...

ConsVery early mornings on certain days, but, that was needed to make shipments arrive to customers quickly. Having to leave early to make labor costs. As a result, a lot of work ended up being left for the salaried manager. DVD rental side shrinking due to streaming.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate excess supplies and use that extra money for labor.

Great pay

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent wages lots of autonomy

ConsToo much turnover. Can be hard to get away from work

Good experience, difficult job

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros-Decent employee benefits
-Fellow employees are great
-Not too much direct oversight/too many meetings
-Training was excellent and engaging

ConsPerformance metrics seem reasonable at first, but it's nearly impossible to meet some of them. For example, one of your metrics is the percentage of "No" answers you get from the survey at the end of the call asking customers if they were satisfied, but this system is relatively flawed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a bit more breathing room, and you'll have a much happier workforce.

Very Different Culture

Content Team (Former Employee)
Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsWork with highly intelligent individuals, free lunches, snacks sodas. your peers are great people that you will enjoy spending time around. On the peer level it is a very welcoming atmosphere.

ConsWork Life balance is horrible, no room to grow or it takes 8+ years. Extremely high turn over whether it be employees leaving or arbitrary 'Lay Offs'

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice - it would be a waste of breath. Management, gets their orders from way above your level. It's a very, very large corporation where advice or ideas aren't welcomed.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All 376 reviews are posted anonymously by Netflix employees.