Netflix Reviews

3.8
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Growth and evolution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company moves fast and you can be very productive. Minimal bureaucracy. Generally good at attempting to disseminate vision from top-down. Strong technical contributors and great peers. Most policies and practices are employee-friendly (in that there's little impediments to getting stuff done). Company does get rid of low-performers regularly.

Cons

As with many rapidly growing organizations, there's some chaos and politically-biased positioning during the changes. Some managers are focused too tactically on product today, not strengthening the team and products for future. If you need to work at a place where things don't change much or where you can know you'll be employed for years--this is not the place for you. Work load can be heavy at times (but the work itself is interesting and fun).

As the company continues to move from a maverick streaming technology startup to a operations-focused content provider, there should be more discussion about how the culture and product is changing and how it needs to shift more. In the past 5 years, engineer headcount has more than doubled -- how can we continue to adapt our management and development at the same rate of success (or better) with this much larger org?

Awesome company if you are engineer.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good support, great pay.

Cons

Not for everybody. Manager if he/she is not careful and politically savvy can have short lifetime with a company.

3. The culture is the real deal; read the deck. It really is the blueprint for our culture.

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and Responsibility from the culture deck is true
    Super smart people that love what they do
    Awesome brand
    Compensation is top of market

Cons

Things move quickly; sometimes hard to keep up
    High performing culture means there is pressure, but deliver rather than worry and you will be fine

As we grow we need to consider other means of communication. Memo's are great but we need to find more efficient means of communicating.

Worst place I've ever worked

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None. Maybe the pay but I received a better offer from my current employer.

Cons

Political, bureaucratic, catty, micro-managing environment. Inexperienced management. No growth opportunities. Absolutely zero work life balance. Please do yourself a favor and listen to the other reviews on here and work literally anywhere else.

Lord of the Flies, Inc.

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everything that has already been said on this site about compensation is true. If you're lucky enough to stay under the radar long enough, you will be paid well enough to maybe finance a startup venture on the side, or eventually take a more humane job elsewhere for a better work-life balance, or contribute meaningfully to charitable endeavors etc. You also get a good name on your resume that recruiters will be overly impressed by. Newsflash - inflated stock prices and lavish content spending are not a reflection of company quality.

Cons

Make no mistake - Netflix is not for life. You will leave, most likely on their terms (and the few who do try to leave on their own are dealt with in... other ways). But consider yourself fortunate - those "lucky" few who do stay for the long haul have fates worse than death. They become trapped in an inhumane culture of fear that rejects simple human values like decency and interpersonal camaraderie in favor of vicious, Machiavellian "management by termination," until they begin to embody that culture themselves. At Netflix needy, power-hungry executives smart enough to realize they will never - ever- replicate the salaries Netflix pays them anywhere else in industry hold on to those positions for dear life, while brutalizing and undermining anything and anyone perceived to stand in their way, including their subordinates. Awful, awful place. An executive, in a rare moment of candor (perhaps aided and abetted by one too many drinks) once compared the Netflix culture to "Lord of the Flies." Trust me - you would rather spend the rest of your life with the Lord of the Flies kids than spend even 5 minutes working for Netflix. Life is short...let these people remain in their toxic cocoon and face judgment when the time comes. You have options - go do something important, surrounded by people you actually like. I mean, all of this vile behavior, toxicity and heartache for bad library content and overpriced, overhyped originals

Hire good lawyers for when everything falls apart (and it will) and the lawsuits and SEC investigations begins.

Complete no no for international candidates.May be ok for citizens.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Good compensation.Free coffee.All very smart people.

Cons

Company policy is written clearly.They fire you the moment you are not extraordinary.
    Layoffs everyday for weird reasons.Once you are used you are thrown away.For international candidates with H1 and stuff it can cause real problems switching H1B visa quickly so definitely not worth the risk.
    For citizens it can be ok if you can work 24*7 and want a handsome salary in return.Although if you are talented you may be better off joining a startup with some nice stock options as netflix stock has already risen so much so net appreciation is not that great now or worse even go down.
    For 25-30K per year its not worth the stress and your health.Better join a startup for better work as well as better chances of stock appreciation.
    Unlimited vacation policy mean zero vacation as if you take vacation you are fired.
    All smart people and culture of fear mean they conflict over every line of code you write and will try to put you down for everything and make sure you are not performing better than them.Toxic environment.

Its not a startup anymore so it does not have the same charm or stock.Also your work is pretty ordinary as compared to google , facebook or linkedin etc .Think before you say that we will hire every employee better than the previous one.Why would the better employee join you instead of joining a startup or a more peaceful or better culture.

Fantastic company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom and autonomy. No nonsense around things like expenses, vacation, etc. Just be professional and make sure you're helping you're team be effective and pretty much everything will be okay.

Cons

Since you get near total autonomy, figuring out just _what_ to do can be challenging. You have to consider options carefully. It's also easy to get a bit of imposter syndrome since you're working with some of the very top names in the industry.

Keep it up!

Only thing I would maybe change is to add a bit more emphasis on the importance of building personal brand and a bit more transparency about how compensation review works.

Great Company, Inexperienced Management

Current Employee - Purchasing in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product, Driven culture, Cross Team Collaboration.

Cons

There are a couple of cons that seem to be proving to become obstacles for productivity. My Director loves to bully and has fired the valuable individuals on our team. She is afraid of anyone that is smarter than her that also contributes and gets recognized for their contribution. Instead of building a great team, sadly this Director manages two unrelated teams with no knowledge on how to manage either. She thrives on driving fear. Sad as most of the people here are genuinely great people.

Don't sacrifice two great teams for a poor director.

No Job security. Poor Management!

Former Employee - Senior Position in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Position in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay. Benefits and perks. Catered Food.

Cons

No proper training. No room for error or else you will get fired culture. Politics. Arrogant Managers.
    I worked at Netflix for almost 5 years and I've always had great feedback during 360 reviews except for 1 person. That person who was new to the company gave me a bad review last year and that's the reason I lost my job. My manager made that review as a back-up to lay me off and totally lied that I am no longer fit for the job. Feeling betrayed and unjustly fired.

Be aware.. What goes around comes around!

Best job I have ever had

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent environment for smart and motivated SW devs. Very little politics. Technology leader. Very focused on streaming video on demand. Value smart devs, not 24-7 heros. Tremendous opportunity to influence video and entertainment industries.

Cons

If you are a task-oriented dev, if you need an architect or manager to give you a list of deliverables, you will not do well at Netflix. If you are a control-freak you will not do well.