Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Apr 04, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros:
  • "Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Good Pay & Fact paced work environment"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover"
    in 18 reviews
  • "You know you're in a culture of fear when the person training your group talks about how they were nearly fired"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Engaging environment with many interesting technical opportunities

I have been working at Netflix full-time

ProsNetflix offers amazing co-workers, an exciting business, and the opportunity to work on cool technology problems. Employees (and the community) can contribute to open source projects. The mature workforce focuses on working hard but goes home and recharges at night.

ConsIf you're looking for dinners served at the office, you won't find those at Netflix. I wasn't looking for those things, so I would consider this a pro!

Fast paced environment that was a great experience.

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)
Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you do your homework ahead of time you will know that it is not likely that you will retire from Netflix. If you didn't do it before hand and decided to work for Netflix and were shocked at its fast pace and rapid change then shame on you. The company is exactly what it advertises itself to be.

I completely enjoyed the team I worked with and all of the challenges we faced. It has almost been a year and I can honestly say it was a great experience and I miss the folks I got to work with. Netflix has chosen a unique path in regards to customer service and is willing to take new and or different approaches. It is a rewarding experience to generate an idea and have that idea implemented within the same day. Not everything we tried worked but many of things we utilized did work and were very rewarding in there success. If customer service is your chosen profession you can learn a lot from working with this company and gain insight into what would improve an industry that has chosen a path of mediocrity and failure.

ConsQwikster...that pretty much says it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementI genuinely enjoyed the direct and honest conversations I had with peers, HR, and my boss. This is something unique in my experience and I would hate to see that change. Keep the cereal, fruit, ppt decks, video games, ping pong, and coffee going the reps love that.

Love my job

QA Engineer (Current Employee)
Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Constant Learning
- Keeps me on my toes
- not a process oriented company. Keeps things simple.

Cons- moving too fast. Chasing a moving target.

Churn and burn

Call Center Support Staff (Former Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

ProsSome great people there (fellow employee's)

ConsEvery call you get can result in a survey with either a "yes" or "no" if they were satisfied with Netflix. You can get anywhere from 40 to 120 calls a day and the survey feedback was instant, meaning as soon as the caller input their survey you were notified. 2 "No's" could wipe out a whole day of "Yes's" and a lot these callers were incredibly unstable. Anything from people not remembering their password to the website to death threats. You had just 4 minutes to try to make them happy somehow and get them off the line before you got an instant message asking what the problem was. If you had to many "No's" you get fired on the spot. Call time too long? Fired. People came and went so much I didn't want to get to know them well because I knew they'd be out the door shortly. I had an incredible team coach that had a lot of faith in me which allowed me to persist in this enviorment. When the whole "separate dvd shipping and online streaming" failed they fired him and many, many others. I hung around for 9 months before I quit, the pressure to make metrics was savage and it was estimated that only 5% of the employee's would make it to a full year. I could go on with situations where the customer was extremely abusive, said no to the survey and went way way over the 4 minutes I was allowed only to have my job threatened for not meeting metrics but hopefully you get the idea.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management? I wouldn't know where to begin.

Avoid- Plenty of Fish in the Sea

CSR2 (Former Employee)
Hillsboro, OR (US)

ProsInexpensive health insurance
Unique work environment

ConsWhere do I start.... I am a highly educated, sharp, always employed individual and I found it very challenging to work for Netflix long-term. I've been employed in restaurant management, accounting and retail (just to name a few) and this company was by far, the worst place I've ever worked. At my youngest, I was a Merry Maid and I even found that much more enjoyable then slaving away to constant surveys, unintelligent callers and unrealistic expectations. Forget about taking vacation- embrace ocassional, mandatory over-time. Expect callers to personally threaten you and your family. Schedules constantly change to odd hours- no matter what your "ranking" in the center is. Little or no promotion within. I gladly chose to discontinue my employment with Netflix voluntarily and my quality of life has greatly improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementSMH- if you've made it this far, you've drank the Kool Aid.

Fine, if you can handle the hours

Warehouse Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

ProsEasy interview. Lots of quiet time. Ripping envelopes can be kind of a zen experience if you look at it that way

Consearly, short hours. facilities are often far enough away from residential areas that the gas cost basically negates 1/4 of your work day's wages. No social interaction. VERY Repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some way to give people full time hours so that that you don't have a constant revolving door with employees.

Great environment

I have been working at Netflix full-time

ProsLow BS. Small agile teams. A lot gets done.
Less se rest. lot of sharing of information.
Accountability
Freedom

ConsA lot of luck in career path...to be fair to Netflix...acknowledged by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Netflix was a great learning experience and resume builder.

Digital Account Specialist (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsHigh Salary // Free Lunches // Unlimited Vacation // Flexible Hours

ConsOffice Politics // Limited Growth

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what matters most, the business instead of office gossip.

Very Employee Friendly

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, time off, benefits compensation. Awesome hours. They promote teamwork among their employees. Upper Management has open door policy and they are extremly approachable.

ConsDVD side of the company is getting smaller due to more new customers utilizing the streaming service.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the level of interactivity with the employees. Shows everyone that they are valuable to the company and they are recognized

Haste makes waste, and don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Los Gatos, CA (US)

ProsOpen engineering discussions.
Love new technologies.
Willing to take on risks.

ConsWilling to take on risks but mistakes are costly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down, don't try to force round pegs into square holes.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All 376 reviews are posted anonymously by Netflix employees.