Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true(in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover(in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are(in 17 reviews)

Netflix is a high performance atmosphere that allows you the freedom to use your judgement on your calls verses scripts.

Customer Service (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR (US)

ProsFeedback is appreciated and constantly given.

ConsLack of moving up. Tenure is not considered at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Invaluable experience, 1 year working at Netflix = 3 years elsewhere.

Pros- Very smart, self-motivated colleagues
    - Flat organization
    - Fast and constantly innovating
    - Clear feedback
    - Huge importance put on freedom and responsibility
    - Unbeatable vacation policy
    - Big impact doing any role
    - Ability to be a part of overall business strategy

Cons- Tendency to debate, even on small decisions
    - Extreme adherence to testing and data

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more ways for employees to grow

A year at Netflix is equal to 2-3 years most other places -- talent density creates accomplishment density.

Director Engineering (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

ProsFast-moving. Few bureaucratic distractions. Willing to make big, disruptive changes quickly. The move to original content was smart and will propel growth well into the future.

If you function well in a meritocracy, then you will likely be successful at Netflix.

ConsThey're getting big, and that growth is adding pressure to sacrifice some elements of their culture that made them unique and a desirable place to work.

The quality of talent getting hired or promoted now is much less impressive than in the earlier years.

The environment is increasingly political, which may be related to the hiring/promotion of more average, less-impressive employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highly political culture, dysfunctional.

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Los Gatos, CA (US)

ProsPay and the Netflix name helps on your resume, since most people outside do not know how bad it is inside.

ConsMind numbing. Stress. Constantly watching your back. There are people who have very high title (Directors, Managers, even VPs) who got it because they've managed to stay there the longest. Not because they are qualified for the job. The long timer/oldtimers survived by CYA each others. Those who they think are dangerous to their job will get the knife in the back.

It's not how good you are. It's how well you "play the game" and "fit in with the political culture". They value "safe" decisions that do not rock the boat. At least in the IT Ops dept that I worked in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of the cloud once in a while. There's real problem underneath. Engineering got tired of the dysfunctional IT Ops group, and built their own infrastructure so they don't have to deal with incompetent people.

Best thing to do is fire everyone in Ops, and start fresh.

Repackager (former employee)

Repackager (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA (US)

ProsEasy job to get for HS college student

Consmindless work with no opportunity

Started out great but toward the end not so much...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR (US)

ProsFree movies, before the last set of layoffs there was genuine regard for employee satisfaction and feedback was often solicited not only to improve business processes but also to gauge morale. After a while, not so much...

ConsFrequent layoffs. Whole departments got laid off at a time. I guess I should have figured how it was going to be when the entire management team save one manager was suddenly gone a few months after I had completed training, which btw was before the 2008 meltdown. The entire QA team was let go a few months later and the entire Tech support team shortly thereafter.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeems as though it would be difficult to keep quality people if the company lays off entire departments.

A Class Act with a positive future

Customer Service Supervisor III (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR (US)

ProsThe company's innovative outlooks and potential future campaigns keeps it as the leading edge of technology

ConsCustomer service may sometimes be the last to know about marketing strategies/campaigns until calls hit the customer service agents.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to strive for customer service results in order to help develop that outstanding rapport with the clients

Seems Easy!

Call Center Representative (Current Employee) Frisco, TX (US)

ProsFree netflix.no dress code, can eat, can use phone, friendly co workers

ConsYou nee people to take your survey and most people won't.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts not fair that you fire people based on if enough people review them..

OK

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsIt is an OK environment to work in for a call center. Desk job, no personal electronic devices allowed while on shift (no cell phones, mp3 players, etc...), unlimited streaming plan with 8-out DVD/blu-ray plan, great co-workers and good system to get assistance with issues the rep does not know how to handle

ConsRude customers, reviews/performance based on customers opinions of you

Worst job I have ever had

Hub Manager (Former Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsStock option plan was very good. IT department worked well with hubs. Some hub managers were willing to work as team.

ConsUnrealistic expectations, super long hours, poor upper management skills, cold mechanical type company, not very team oriented, uncomfortable company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand behind what your HR team describes during interviews. Listen to all employees.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!