Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros:
  • "Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Good Pay & Fact paced work environment"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover"
    in 18 reviews
  • "You know you're in a culture of fear when the person training your group talks about how they were nearly fired"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Never a lull in the action

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)
Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

ProsFast paced environment. The company seemed to really appreciate all employees no matter what level they were. Benefits package was set up so that you pocketed some or all of the allotted money set aside for medical, etc. if you did not use it. Too bad all medical insurance is not set up this way...

ConsVery early mornings on certain days, but, that was needed to make shipments arrive to customers quickly. Having to leave early to make labor costs. As a result, a lot of work ended up being left for the salaried manager. DVD rental side shrinking due to streaming.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate excess supplies and use that extra money for labor.

Good experience, difficult job

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros-Decent employee benefits
-Fellow employees are great
-Not too much direct oversight/too many meetings
-Training was excellent and engaging

ConsPerformance metrics seem reasonable at first, but it's nearly impossible to meet some of them. For example, one of your metrics is the percentage of "No" answers you get from the survey at the end of the call asking customers if they were satisfied, but this system is relatively flawed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a bit more breathing room, and you'll have a much happier workforce.

Very Different Culture

Content Team (Former Employee)
Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsWork with highly intelligent individuals, free lunches, snacks sodas. your peers are great people that you will enjoy spending time around. On the peer level it is a very welcoming atmosphere.

ConsWork Life balance is horrible, no room to grow or it takes 8+ years. Extremely high turn over whether it be employees leaving or arbitrary 'Lay Offs'

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice - it would be a waste of breath. Management, gets their orders from way above your level. It's a very, very large corporation where advice or ideas aren't welcomed.

Customer Service Training

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

ProsThey are very hard to please. Hard to maintain good numbers when the service is the issue.

ConsI have nothing to add.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Awesome place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix

ProsGreat co workers, benefits, and awesome atmosphere. Management is awesome and the job is easy to get the hang of.

ConsCan deal with some angry customers and the job can get kind of repetitive. But overall best place I've worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe good at your job and follow the rules

Dynamic is not always a good thing.

Disposition Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Company is very motivated to make improvements and will not hesitate to try any path towards innovation. Therefore, things are constantly changing and providing a challenge.
-Decent wages and benefits.
-Flexible schedules

Cons-Since company readily implements improvements, and not all initiatives are successful, there is a great deal of back tracking and job ambiguity.
-Very fickle in requirements and needs

Mistake of a lifetime. Total career suicide. Hillsboro

CSR1 (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPaydays, quitting time, seeing your superiors fail.

ConsHow about...an unspoken policy of fear, day in, day out. Managers that are ignorant, uneducated, selfish, and stupid. Oh, and flunkie "team supervisors" that get promoted to the position only because they know how to suck up and let themselves get abused by management...Oh, there was so much more. This is flat-out the WORST company I've ever worked for. They laid me off because of my "call time average" was 7 seconds, yes...SECONDS, over their silly weekly limit. In reality, they laid me off because I was 50, and have medical problems. Oh, I hope I live to see the day when someone sues the hell out of them. I just can't wait. I have never wanted for a company to fail, but I want them to.

Advice to Senior ManagementReed, pay attention, you little weasel. Why don't you sell this company so someone with someone with a soul can run it. Are we clear? You, Dude, SUCK!!!!

Nice while it lasted, not everything it is cut out to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsLunch, brand that people are aware of.

ConsManagement overall is quite bad. Most people get promoted to the role based on seniority, not on actual ability to lead and mentor others.

Over matrixed under thought out

Senior Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsFast paced, energetic place to work. The compensation was great, and the tools at our disposal were more than adequate to build and retain strong teams.

ConsTo much reliance on matrix and not enough on individuality that empowers employees to do great things. While we had great tools, were were not given the autonomy to use them effectively. Good people had to be let go for arbitrary reasons, and other that should move on are kept.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward creativity, relax a wee bit, and never ever hire more people than you really need. Doing so creates problems down the road that are not good for anyone.

Sr. Weblogic Architect

Senior Weblogic Architect (Former Employee)
Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor for more than a year

ProsNice company to work with NetFlix. No body compete salary in the Bay Area. Good Environment. You will get nice free lunch every day.

ConsNetflix have to improve from Management Side..

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All 379 reviews are posted anonymously by Netflix employees.