Neogen

Neogen Chairman and CEO James L. Herbert

James L. Herbert

Just ok

I have been working at Neogen

ProsGreat co-workers. Fairly secure place to work, no layoffs.

ConsPay is very low. If recognition or advancement were options it would help. Poor communication and cooperation between departments. Office cultures inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your good stand in the way of your better. Consider strategies that other companies have been successful with.

Great place to gain experience, but not a career destination.

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Neogen full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, fair work/life balance, good place to gain entry level experience.

ConsVery low pay, mediocre benefits, poor culture and at times a negative work environment, and little recognition from senior management. Not focused on employee development, exceptionally high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to develop a positive company culture (respect, integrity, accountability) and make it the center of everything they do. Upper management should model these values constantly and expect and require the same values in their employees. There are a lot of good people at Neogen, but there are several who get away with deplorable behavior routinely. They ruin the experience of working at an otherwise good company for those who refuse to act in such an unprofessional manner.

Neogen is a fantastic company to work with!

I have been working at Neogen

ProsNeogen is one of the top 200 small corporations to work for according to Forbes, however I feel they are better than that even. Amazing stock, opportunity, and experience.

ConsYou won't be working in a fancy office, as the company purchases older schools and buildings. You start out at a lower wage, but if you put in the time and effort, Neogen looks after you.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between departments should improve.

This is not where you want to try for a career

Quality Control Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Neogen full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are good people who work for neogen, all of them being normal workers not management or supervisors. The managers are all petty and pass things through qc that should not have.

ConsThe supervisors let the managers use biases and hatred to manipulate employees, and both supervisors and managers lie to workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage

But what do I know anyways?

Chemist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Neogen full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe employees are great people to work with. There is also a good potential for upward mobility and opportunities for different jobs within the company.

ConsTons of work and responsibility for little compensation. General lack of communication and organization. High rate of turnover means that few people have a very comprehensive understanding of the intricacies of their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people more so they will stick with the company and not leave as soon as they have experience.

DON'T BOTHER EVEN APPLYING UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMEONE!!!

r (Former Employee)

I worked at Neogen full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGain experience. They reuse old buildings. It's a paycheck...

ConsHORRIBLE PAY
Management is a joke.
Managers micro manage, while treating employees like garbage. They let go of hard working individuals because management does not like them. Supervisors are overworked and under payed the same goes with lower employees. Raises are an insult. Benefits are way too expensive for what you get. They have meetings to tell the employees how much money they make but the employees are stuck making $8-11 an hour. There are employees who have been there for 10+ years and still don't see $10 an hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of the majority of the manufacturing managers and start over. They are worthless.

Don't Drink the Punch

Chemist (Former Employee)

I worked at Neogen full-time

ProsIt's a steady paycheck and they have a company picnic once per year. It's in a park and you are encouraged to bring your own food. In addition to the picnic, many of the employees are great people.

Cons- Pay is embarrassingly low
- New ideas are not considered
- Extremely high turnover rate
- Low company Moral
- Facilities are not fit for manufacturing
- Company does not compensate for a reasonable standard of living
- Raises are nonexistent
- Upper management does not recognize lower employees
- Forced to work long hours when a large sale is made and not compensated for your extra efforts
- Former manager worked Saturdays for 3 months in order to maintain manufacturing demands. Neogen rewarded my former manager with a $50 gift-card for 96 hours of weekend-work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're not doing a good job.

Neogen

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Neogen full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people I work with

ConsAdvancing a career within the company

Good place to start but no true potential for growth. Corporate does not care about the employees.

Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I have been working at Neogen full-time

ProsMost of the people that I work with here are good people who deserve better. If you stay here long enough you will get promoted just for having seniority.

ConsPay and compensation is very low when compared to the rest of the industry. Corporate does not care about its employees. The investors are the only ones who matter to corpoarte, not the people who make the company successful by traveling and leaving their families behind for low compensation. VERY high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees for their hard work and dedication to their job. A happy work enviroment and worker will get your more production and sales.

Very low pay but good entry level experience

Research Technician (Former Employee)
Lansing, MI (US)

I worked at Neogen full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people. Enjoyed my day. Team work ethic. Not micromanaged. Learned a lot about microbiology.

ConsPoor pay for the level of education and experience most employees have.
CEO continually has meetings about how well the company is doing, growing, investing and acquiring new companies, but the company does not reward its employees for this or increase wages as they should.
Poor health care benefits with consistent increased cost to employees.
Not much incentive to work there long term because they do not compete with the pay and benefits of other companies. Great minds leave all the time and most of the people that work there are always looking for other job opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more. Reward employees. Happiness on the job makes people stay and company would advance more if all the great minds stayed.

Worked for Neogen? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Neogen reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Neogen CEO James L. Herbert. All 24 reviews are posted anonymously by Neogen employees.