Neiman Marcus

Neiman Marcus Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz

Karen W. Katz

Pros
  • Discount at Neimans, along with an amazing employee discount sale (up to 60 percent off)(in 26 reviews)

• good discount on many items in store(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management treats contractors like they are throw aways(in 16 reviews)

• Older sales associates are very stubborn to work with(in 15 reviews)

call center

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

Pros- state of the art
    - flexible shifts

Cons- having to deal with angry customers
    - early start times

Advice to Senior Managementshould of never left Canada. best customer service team ever.

It's good, not great

Customer Care (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsDiscounts on products, but major discounts only on out of style merchandise

ConsHaving to swap shifts on a whiteboard is old school

Advice to Senior ManagementMore information sharing between call center and warehouse agents

"Do a good job and no one notices you, miss your quota and all the sudden everyone knows your name"

Product Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsGreat hours, schedule flexibility, close relationships with co-workers "family" environment, most people make lifetime friends with co-workers and clientele working there. Freedom to clientele creatively and authentically. Make numbers and get left alone. Micro-management is minimal compared to competitors. Laid back with new credit cards apps compared to competitors. Fun events and meetings. Lots of freedom to be an "individual". Exclusive brands. The true leader of luxury. I disagree with other reviews I thought they had excellent insurance and benefits. Every doctor I've ever had compliments my insurance. They have minimal out of pocket plans, a real blessing for people who have to use it often. They honor diversity and many different cultures. You gain a lot of valuable experience and knowledge. Senior management toured the stores often. The company truly cares about their customers and the products they offer. The have high standards from vendors. I was never on a shortage of earned personal time. They have a full spectrum of great benefits. They have nice work life balance values. They honor family and things that matter to you. Throughout my years, during unexpected loss or illness I always felt supported by HR.

ConsBeing nice doesn't get you far. Doing "good" only gets you so far. Eventually everyone's time runs out and you miss your quota. The goal system sets people up for failure. You have no say or control in how goals are set, buying office changes goals anytime even mid-month. You only get reviewed on your quota. You could be the best, most hardworking employee among a sea of people lying, stealing, bad mouthing, being lazy, etc..It's all about numbers. Your high ethics and high morals have no value. It wears on you mentally over time to only be a number and to witness all the bad things your co-workers can get away with and still be earning gold stars. Management plays favorites. Poor feedback system, reviews are not timely. My review was often inaccurate. Inaccurate math, wrong employee name etc. My boss one time printed out the same review for all of the staff and asked the assistant to just write our different names on it, she got in trouble. Reviews always felt impersonal never reflecting my true strengths and weaknesses, everyone agreed our boss never cared and just wanted them over with. It doesn't make for good growth opportunities or salary increases. They don't have a lot of turn over and to get a promotion you have to take a huge pay cut into a coordinator position with no guarantees of an upper management position. Most people deserve promotions but can't afford to take the risk. Cut throat sales associates are definitely a problem and almost all my co-workers had to take anti-anxiety medicine just to get through the day. You have to have a strong personality and know how to play the game. The probation system for missing quota is brutal and you get no support from your boss. Bottom line- you have to make your numbers. The stock was often depleted and employees are left with minimal merchandise support during peak business times or near the end of quotas. You are told to "sell what you have" doesn't really work that way when you have to match an exact foundation color to a clients skin tone. Top selling items were always sold out. My first boss was excellent, she retired. My second boss was a nightmare so my negative experience may be biased and isolated exclusively to that. Everyone in my department disliked how unprofessional she was. One of the biggest problems they made was they started hiring a bunch of ex-Nordstrom people and bringing them straight into management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to department managers. I thought Neimans was a great company and I didn't feel my department manager was a good reflection of your values. She gets away with so much, it's crazy. My department manager was a game-playing gossiping psycho. She was not very intelligent. She couldn't offer solid feedback or coaching, she couldn't even do math. It took her years to remember our names and the brand we worked for. She would embarrass me in vendor meetings with how uniformed she was even though I was communicating to her above expectation. I would expect my department manager to be qualified for her position and she absolutely was not. As the bridge between the buying office, vendor, and business manager it takes a well-rounded intelligent person to make a successful department. The problem is not in the "people" but the "person". I was sad to leave but couldn't deal with my boss anymore.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for commission based salary, but for starting management position the pay unethical.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI (US)

ProsFor commission based salaries the pay is great since sky is the limit. Just starting off as you build you clientele the pay is around $20/hr.
    Great place for employees discounts. Shorter work hours (37.5 hrs/wk). 1 hr lunch breaks.

ConsConstantly pushing for new credit card applicants. Older sales associates are very stubborn to work with. For commission based associates there are many gray areas when it comes to who's customer is who's. For example some associates think that just because you say hi to someone, the person automatically becomes your customer.
    When first starting off the training is very minimal and you are kind of thrown into your dept and it's either sink or swim for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you paid your clerical/coordinators more they would be more loyal and have more of a commitment to NM. $12/hr is just above minimum wage in Hawaii while a gallon of milk is $5.50 on sale. Executives (upper management) may not understand this because they are getting paid $80k to $100k+! So sad : (

As an employee and customer, I believe N-M is the original and best RTW high-end retailer in the world.

Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsColleagues' integrity; standard of elegance/excellence. There is fierce competition in any retail environment but high level of intellect and fair pay. Constant insistence on staying six months ahead, both in merchandise selection/purchase and timely delivery of new inventory. Thoughtful assessment of reordering fast-moving stock and marking down slow-moving sku's.

ConsFor buyers —some overtime, usually on holidays. I worked at Neiman's before all systems were computerized. Writing orders with multiple carbons for numerous store locations was time-consuming. I recall several holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) where I was invited to my boss's home for holiday meal, after which we would write orders up to our knees well into the morning hours. Still, great camaraderie and gratification.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am no longer working at N-M. When I was, however, I felt the management was stellar, albeit some with great power could be rather distant/unapproachable.

Great Company

ProsSenior Management is great.
    Great retirement plan
    Great communication tool giving employees a work iphone
    HR great for solving issues with co.workers

ConsInsurance is expensive
    Childish gossip everyday;avoid these types of people.
    Not a lot of support, you learn by trial and error.
    Commissioned environment has its good and bad based on the economy, tough if its your only income.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost management is great, some really play favorites.

Wonderful place to work for smart, self starters!

ProsGreat exposure to many aspects of running a business, fosters an entrepreneurial spirit. Your experience can be what you make it, great or bad.

ConsRed tape, out dated training, bureaucratic/political corporate environment leads to unhappy and dissatisfied associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people fairly, understand when demanding unrealistic expectations.

Probably best place if you have to be entirely commission based

ProsExceptional exclusive products to sell

ConsSneaky unhelpful sale stealing colleagues, Iet loose by management who care more about sales than fairness

Best employee discount!

ProsThe best discount for any retailer.

ConsThe hours and the benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdapting to change in our technological world is vital to the success of the company!

Great name for a resume

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is great, and you work with very talented people.

ConsThe environment I worked in was very toxic and the manager and VP of the department I was in have a reputation for targeting and bullying employees out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the trade of the employees you manage.

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!