Navigant Consulting

Updated 30 January, 2015
3.2

Navigant Consulting Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• you got the chance to work with smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Life Sciences Practice Quickly Growing

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for personal / professional growth in the Life Sciences group. There is excellent work life balance and the senior management really does value people's family commitments

Cons

Training is ad hoc and still in development, though it is improving over time. Sometimes selling additional work gets in in the way of quality

Sep 18, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your experience..

Great colleagues with a reputation for quality work and interesting projects

Current Employee - Managing Consultant
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get to work with really smart, passionate people. There's a ton of variety in the work that we do, and that keeps things interesting. There's a good amount of autonomy and flexibility granted to consultants. We're treated like adults who can make decisions for themselves. There's a lot of room for creativity and innovative thinking, if you get on the right projects. The energy practice (where I work) has a good blend of thinkers from different fields: engineers, economists, B-school grads, social scientists, etc. I feel very proud of our reputation for quality in our field.

Cons

I am acutely aware that many people have had a less positive experience than I have; so much depends on which office you're in and which project managers you're working with. Some of the offices have no camaraderie (thankfully, I am in one of the ones with a good culture). Some project managers treat their employees like indentured servants but many are excellent and nurturing.

Performance evaluations focus too much on how much time you bill to the client and not enough on how much value you create for the client and what you do to ensure the long-term success of your group. There's a lot of talk about building a "sales culture" but at the lower levels, there is really no upside to spending non-billable time on trying to sell work. I think there's a lot of short-sightedness in the performance evaluation process.

There could be more collaboration across teams and groups. A good amount of reinventing the wheel takes place. That's partially due to the emphasis on billable hours. Nobody wants to spend a ton of time that they don't get credit for making things easier for other people.

Remember that many employees are motivated by the opportunity to pursue intellectually satisfying and meaningful work, not solely the pursuit of a fatter paycheck and higher stock prices. Internal communication focuses too much on dollars and not enough on the human beings who are creating value for our clients.

Create more flexibility in opportunities for advancement. Few people can truly excel at technical work, mentoring, project management, and sales; they are four distinct and equally important skillsets. Create career paths for people who want to excel at 2 or 3 of those areas and allow them to continue receiving promotions and raises. Stop pretending that someone who can sell work is also qualified to manage a project. That is very often not the case. Place more value on mentoring; advance people who improve the work quality of those around them.

It's an exciting time to be at Navigant - the company's strategic vision for forward momentum is coming to life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Our leadership team has clearly articulated a vision for future growth, we are bring top talent on board and winning great engagements that keep our workforce challenged and motivated. The company offers internal and external training options to advance its workforce and the culture here embraces diversity through Employee Resource Groups. The Firm also supports new ideas and has created platforms, like the Innovation Challenge to reward employees for out-of-the-box thinking.

Cons

Change doesn't always happen overnight, but the company is making strides in the right direction.

Keep communicating and articulating the path for growth to employees. It's great that management offers feedback on areas that need work. The senior leadership team is also doing a great job of communicating the vision for growth, but it would be great to see more examples of how that vision is (or will be) actualized.

Probably the best job I've had in this field, work with really smart people and the team comes together very well

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is very employee-friendly, flexible to work from home, proactive about training, communicating strategies, and community involvement. Income is competitive and incentives are based on performance.

Cons

None really, as long as you work hard and bring skills to the table. More than 3 weeks vacation would be nice.

Sep 15, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. Feedback such as this is important in shaping the future of the company.

Great place for motivated self-starters

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Widely recognized consulting firm with a diverse suite of services and industry focus
    Work-life balance in excellent, compensation is commensurate to employee input (I feel like I'm duly rewarded for what I put in)
    Flexible working arrangements

Cons

I think work environment varies widely among practices and sub-groups, so my experience with my team (Energy - transaction due diligence and regulatory advisory) might be quite different from others' experience

Increase incentives and reduce barriers to collaboration among practices and sub-groups

Sep 15, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. We appreciate the feedback and are continuing to identify more opportunities for collaboration going forward like the Innovation Challenge.

Absolutely the best thing I ever did

Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are simply great - so collaborative and helpful. The practice I joined is global, and the people we have around the world are wonderful to work with. The atmosphere in the office is hugely positive - it is just a great place to be. I had a family friend here on work experience recently - she was blown away by it all too. I did the same job for 24 years before coming here, and had no reason to move, but the more people I met the easier the decision became. I would highly recommend Navigant as an employer.

Cons

Getting used to the corporate culture (not Navigant specific corp culture, just generally) was a shock to my system as I had not been in this environment before, but I am slowly picking it up (with the help of my wonderful colleagues).

Professionalism and going the extra mile are part of the culture of this company.

Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Vermillion, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Vermillion, SD (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, educational opportunities and lifelong learning. The office is friendly and coworkers strive to be a team. The flexibility to take time off for family obligations is really appreciated. You can leave your work at work if that is your choice.

Cons

No differential in pay for those with experience verses entry level in the SD offices. Team leaders are sometimes lacking in experience in dealing with personnel issues in a more positive, team buidling way since the office size grew very quickly.

Provide a path for career growth for those of us who want a career, not just a job.

Sep 18, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thanks you for sharing your experience. We take your feedback seriously and are working on the performance management process for non-consulting/outsoucing professionals to help them with career ... More

The Energy practice serves the biggest clients in the industry, so your impact has scale.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The flexibility available to you around the work that you do is incredible.
    Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance.

Cons

The nature of consulting requires time tracking and constant awareness of how many of your hours are billable to a client. Unfortunately, this also ties into your bonus.

Build teams of people within your office who work well together.

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

gave me a lot of autonomy to work on projects and learn. Was able to write memos, work on financial models,and have client interaction from day 1.

Cons

many different bosses, lack of organizational clarity at times. Were some sharp personalities in the group. Were some efforts at training, but quickly forgotten when we got busy.

Integration of the different groups seemed to be a challenge at times. Navigant has grown largely through acquisition and it is a constant effort to align all these formerly disparate groups.

Sep 15, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. Feedback such as this is important as we continue to grow in the future.

As this is the consulting world, you are expected to kowtow to the client and to your egomaniacal manager

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time

Pros

This company cares about getting the work done and not necessarily in what fashion, so there are flexible hours and time arrangements that employees can take advantage of, as well as the ability to work remotely. The company does offer incentives for hard work, but they are nearly unachieveable milestones.

Cons

As this is the consulting world, you are expected to kowtow to the client, and management have the same expectations for themselves. The egos that exist in this company are extraordinary and what managers say and do to junior level employees is astonishing. Complete and utter disrespect, scape-goating, only interested in the bottom line. Projects are consistently mismanaged and managers recuse themselves from the day to day operation of their projects only to give blind directives, most of which are counter-productive. Now there is a chance that if you work here you will work for some smart, motivated, and considerate managers, and you will learn and have positive experiences. But, more likely, if you work here you will not be treated like a human being, and that's a chance not worth taking. The compensation is fair and the perks admirable, but again, it is not worth subjecting yourself to this top-heavy company where you are expected to come running when your name is called and admonished for not jumping higher.

In my opinion, managers are the key cog in driving retention rates and there is a reason that junior level employees consistently leave this company after only a few years. They are run into the ground and treated like garbage. I think managers should take a step back and think long and hard about if they even want junior level employees to stick around. If they don't, then they won't need to change anything, but if they do, then they should start with themselves.

Navigant Consulting Photos