Navigant Consulting

www.navigant.com

Hit or Miss

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture can be somewhat stuffy, but most people are talented and committed. Lots of training opportunities and if you are creative, you can pitch your own.

Cons

There is an increasing pressure on billability, which doesn't help for making it a fun place to be. There's a bit of an identity crisis at the moment. You need to get on good projects with good D's and MD's if you want to advance.

Invest in better systems to support employees. Make messages more consistent to employees about the value you hope to get from them.

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and will take them into account as areas to address as the Firm continues to evolve.”

Good place to work

Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer competitive benefits and a supportive work environment. I also found my co-workers to be very friendly and there was good camaraderie and team work.

Cons

The middle and upper level management tiers could be more transparent. The organizational structure also seemed somewhat complex, although this may have been due to the nature of the consulting industry.

I was a contractor and converted. Best decision I made

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Outstanding company, culture and upward mobility

Cons

Some of co-pays in health plan are a bit steep

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for leaving a review of your experience. We wish you much continued success here.

Great place to garner skillsets

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If in one of the big offices, Navigant is a wonderful place to work in teams big or small, network internally with employees from other offices, and to learn as many skillsets as possible. Employees are encouraged to do as much training as possible, and there are several different types to choose from, which is nice. It is great place to get as much experience as possible. There are some very smart people at Navigant.

Cons

If a consultant has not established a relationship with a D or MD who has a lot of work, that consultant can get left behind be it their compensation, or projects they get to work on. Consultants when they get hired are promised opportunities outside their group's core offerings, but that is usually not the case. It's possible to get pigeon-holed, and therefore bored.

Get a firm grasp of where the direction of the firm is headed, and encourage more collaboration within the firm. There is so much in-firm competition, that it does not make sense.

Life Sciences Practice Quickly Growing

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for personal / professional growth in the Life Sciences group. There is excellent work life balance and the senior management really does value people's family commitments

Cons

Training is ad hoc and still in development, though it is improving over time. Sometimes selling additional work gets in in the way of quality

Sep 18, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your experience..

Great colleagues with a reputation for quality work and interesting projects

Current Employee - Managing Consultant
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get to work with really smart, passionate people. There's a ton of variety in the work that we do, and that keeps things interesting. There's a good amount of autonomy and flexibility granted to consultants. We're treated like adults who can make decisions for themselves. There's a lot of room for creativity and innovative thinking, if you get on the right projects. The energy practice (where I work) has a good blend of thinkers from different fields: engineers, economists, B-school grads, social scientists, etc. I feel very proud of our reputation for quality in our field.

Cons

I am acutely aware that many people have had a less positive experience than I have; so much depends on which office you're in and which project managers you're working with. Some of the offices have no camaraderie (thankfully, I am in one of the ones with a good culture). Some project managers treat their employees like indentured servants but many are excellent and nurturing.

Performance evaluations focus too much on how much time you bill to the client and not enough on how much value you create for the client and what you do to ensure the long-term success of your group. There's a lot of talk about building a "sales culture" but at the lower levels, there is really no upside to spending non-billable time on trying to sell work. I think there's a lot of short-sightedness in the performance evaluation process.

There could be more collaboration across teams and groups. A good amount of reinventing the wheel takes place. That's partially due to the emphasis on billable hours. Nobody wants to spend a ton of time that they don't get credit for making things easier for other people.

Remember that many employees are motivated by the opportunity to pursue intellectually satisfying and meaningful work, not solely the pursuit of a fatter paycheck and higher stock prices. Internal communication focuses too much on dollars and not enough on the human beings who are creating value for our clients.

Create more flexibility in opportunities for advancement. Few people can truly excel at technical work, mentoring, project management, and sales; they are four distinct and equally important skillsets. Create career paths for people who want to excel at 2 or 3 of those areas and allow them to continue receiving promotions and raises. Stop pretending that someone who can sell work is also qualified to manage a project. That is very often not the case. Place more value on mentoring; advance people who improve the work quality of those around them.

It's an exciting time to be at Navigant - the company's strategic vision for forward momentum is coming to life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Our leadership team has clearly articulated a vision for future growth, we are bring top talent on board and winning great engagements that keep our workforce challenged and motivated. The company offers internal and external training options to advance its workforce and the culture here embraces diversity through Employee Resource Groups. The Firm also supports new ideas and has created platforms, like the Innovation Challenge to reward employees for out-of-the-box thinking.

Cons

Change doesn't always happen overnight, but the company is making strides in the right direction.

Keep communicating and articulating the path for growth to employees. It's great that management offers feedback on areas that need work. The senior leadership team is also doing a great job of communicating the vision for growth, but it would be great to see more examples of how that vision is (or will be) actualized.

Probably the best job I've had in this field, work with really smart people and the team comes together very well

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is very employee-friendly, flexible to work from home, proactive about training, communicating strategies, and community involvement. Income is competitive and incentives are based on performance.

Cons

None really, as long as you work hard and bring skills to the table. More than 3 weeks vacation would be nice.

Sep 15, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. Feedback such as this is important in shaping the future of the company.

Great place for motivated self-starters

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Widely recognized consulting firm with a diverse suite of services and industry focus
    Work-life balance in excellent, compensation is commensurate to employee input (I feel like I'm duly rewarded for what I put in)
    Flexible working arrangements

Cons

I think work environment varies widely among practices and sub-groups, so my experience with my team (Energy - transaction due diligence and regulatory advisory) might be quite different from others' experience

Increase incentives and reduce barriers to collaboration among practices and sub-groups

Sep 15, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. We appreciate the feedback and are continuing to identify more opportunities for collaboration going forward like the Innovation Challenge.

Absolutely the best thing I ever did

Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are simply great - so collaborative and helpful. The practice I joined is global, and the people we have around the world are wonderful to work with. The atmosphere in the office is hugely positive - it is just a great place to be. I had a family friend here on work experience recently - she was blown away by it all too. I did the same job for 24 years before coming here, and had no reason to move, but the more people I met the easier the decision became. I would highly recommend Navigant as an employer.

Cons

Getting used to the corporate culture (not Navigant specific corp culture, just generally) was a shock to my system as I had not been in this environment before, but I am slowly picking it up (with the help of my wonderful colleagues).

Navigant Consulting Photos