Navigant Consulting

Updated 13 October, 2014
3.1

Navigant Consulting Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• you got the chance to work with smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience at Navigant has been good.

Current Employee - Intern in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Intern in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

- Ability to move up in the firm
    - Interesting work
    - Managing Directors are open to providing mentoring to junior level employees

Cons

- Lack of organizational culture
    - Competition within firm employees

Improve corporate culture and make new employees feel like they're somewhere important, where their work has impact.

Great so far. Room for improvement

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very engaging, bright, and fun junior staff
    Very accomplished and intelligent managers
    Very flexible work hours
    Impactful, interesting, and challenging casework

Cons

Strict hierarchy
    Innovation does not seem to be a middle management priority
    Disconnect between executive team and junior staff
    Disconnect between executive team messaging/vision/goals and day-to-day work
    Below-average commitment to training/professional development/continuous learning opportunities

Encourage training and professional development from the top down
    Embrace/encourage a culture of continuous improvement, innovation, and thought creation from all levels
    Create a culture where frequent, insightful (even informal) feedback is the norm, not the exception
    Re-align incentives (for all employees) to better match firm-wide goals/mission (e.g. if work-life balance is a priority, don't count company-wide holidays against utilization)

Great Internship Program

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interned with Navigant this summer and had a great experience. The firm was professional and let me dip my feet in higher level work. I got to work directly with a Managing Director, which was pretty cool since most interns barely even meet their higher-ups. They also went out of their way to make sure they planned fun events for us (the interns) and got exposure to a variety of practices within the firm. Met a lot of friends.

Cons

Sporadic deadlines, my supervisors often had to work long hours and come into the office on weekends. Other than New York , DC, and Chicago the offices are small.

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your internship experience. We work to ensure that our interns have an opportunity to experience all that Navigant has to offer and glad to see that you did.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer competitive benefits and a supportive work environment. I also found my co-workers to be very friendly and there was good camaraderie and team work.

Cons

The middle and upper level management tiers could be more transparent. The organizational structure also seemed somewhat complex, although this may have been due to the nature of the consulting industry.

I like the company more than the specific department

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, responsive hr team, location

Cons

Low salary, no buy in from staff, no clear salary scale

Listen to those not at the big table

Hit or Miss

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture can be somewhat stuffy, but most people are talented and committed. Lots of training opportunities and if you are creative, you can pitch your own.

Cons

There is an increasing pressure on billability, which doesn't help for making it a fun place to be. There's a bit of an identity crisis at the moment. You need to get on good projects with good D's and MD's if you want to advance.

Invest in better systems to support employees. Make messages more consistent to employees about the value you hope to get from them.

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and will take them into account as areas to address as the Firm continues to evolve.”

Great place to garner skillsets

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If in one of the big offices, Navigant is a wonderful place to work in teams big or small, network internally with employees from other offices, and to learn as many skillsets as possible. Employees are encouraged to do as much training as possible, and there are several different types to choose from, which is nice. It is great place to get as much experience as possible. There are some very smart people at Navigant.

Cons

If a consultant has not established a relationship with a D or MD who has a lot of work, that consultant can get left behind be it their compensation, or projects they get to work on. Consultants when they get hired are promised opportunities outside their group's core offerings, but that is usually not the case. It's possible to get pigeon-holed, and therefore bored.

Get a firm grasp of where the direction of the firm is headed, and encourage more collaboration within the firm. There is so much in-firm competition, that it does not make sense.

Under-appreciated and Overworked

Current Employee - Summer Associate
    Current Employee - Summer Associate

I have been working at Navigant Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

No formal training program means that it truly is a baptism by fire. Mentor program is good for the interns, but they have no sway in terms of a formal offer.

Cons

In my contract I was told that any hours worked over 40 would be time and a half. Commercial projects mean that many weeks we would be working 50-70 hrs per week, but I was directly told by my manager to not input them into the system. After speaking with other employees about this, it seemed that this was very normal for interns to be scammed out of their overtime. The reason is because the managers undercut the competition on pricing projects in order to win them so that there is no money for overtime. When I finally told the HR coordinator about this at the end of the internship, I was told to input them all in (on my last day). My manager (before knowing I inputed overtime), said that he wanted me to work there full time. After this happened, I "suddenly" was not given an offer. This is because the projects that I worked on with him now were over budget, which made him look bad.

better work/life balance, understanding the true amount of time for each project rather than undercutting the competition.

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

We appreciate the candid feedback. I’m sorry you did not have the best experience at Navigant. We will be incorporating more guidelines to project managers about their interns' hours to ensure there ... More

I was a contractor and converted. Best decision I made

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding company, culture and upward mobility

Cons

Some of co-pays in health plan are a bit steep

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for leaving a review of your experience. We wish you much continued success here.

Great colleagues with a reputation for quality work and interesting projects

Current Employee - Managing Consultant
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get to work with really smart, passionate people. There's a ton of variety in the work that we do, and that keeps things interesting. There's a good amount of autonomy and flexibility granted to consultants. We're treated like adults who can make decisions for themselves. There's a lot of room for creativity and innovative thinking, if you get on the right projects. The energy practice (where I work) has a good blend of thinkers from different fields: engineers, economists, B-school grads, social scientists, etc. I feel very proud of our reputation for quality in our field.

Cons

I am acutely aware that many people have had a less positive experience than I have; so much depends on which office you're in and which project managers you're working with. Some of the offices have no camaraderie (thankfully, I am in one of the ones with a good culture). Some project managers treat their employees like indentured servants but many are excellent and nurturing.

Performance evaluations focus too much on how much time you bill to the client and not enough on how much value you create for the client and what you do to ensure the long-term success of your group. There's a lot of talk about building a "sales culture" but at the lower levels, there is really no upside to spending non-billable time on trying to sell work. I think there's a lot of short-sightedness in the performance evaluation process.

There could be more collaboration across teams and groups. A good amount of reinventing the wheel takes place. That's partially due to the emphasis on billable hours. Nobody wants to spend a ton of time that they don't get credit for making things easier for other people.

Remember that many employees are motivated by the opportunity to pursue intellectually satisfying and meaningful work, not solely the pursuit of a fatter paycheck and higher stock prices. Internal communication focuses too much on dollars and not enough on the human beings who are creating value for our clients.

Create more flexibility in opportunities for advancement. Few people can truly excel at technical work, mentoring, project management, and sales; they are four distinct and equally important skillsets. Create career paths for people who want to excel at 2 or 3 of those areas and allow them to continue receiving promotions and raises. Stop pretending that someone who can sell work is also qualified to manage a project. That is very often not the case. Place more value on mentoring; advance people who improve the work quality of those around them.

Navigant Consulting Photos