Navigant Consulting

Updated 19 August, 2014
Updated 19 August, 2014

Navigant Consulting Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work-life balance, all employees are bonus eligible (in 22 reviews)

• Yo get the opportunity to work with very smart people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience at Navigant has been good.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Intern in Ottawa, ON

Pros

- Ability to move up in the firm
    - Interesting work
    - Managing Directors are open to providing mentoring to junior level employees

Cons

- Lack of organizational culture
    - Competition within firm employees

Improve corporate culture and make new employees feel like they're somewhere important, where their work has impact.

It's an exciting time to be at Navigant - the company's strategic vision for forward momentum is coming to life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Our leadership team has clearly articulated a vision for future growth, we are bring top talent on board and winning great engagements that keep our workforce challenged and motivated. The company offers internal and external training options to advance its workforce and the culture here embraces diversity through Employee Resource Groups. The Firm also supports new ideas and has created platforms, like the Innovation Challenge to reward employees for out-of-the-box thinking.

Cons

Change doesn't always happen overnight, but the company is making strides in the right direction.

Keep communicating and articulating the path for growth to employees. It's great that management offers feedback on areas that need work. The senior leadership team is also doing a great job of communicating the vision for growth, but it would be great to see more examples of how that vision is (or will be) actualized.

Absolutely the best thing I ever did

Current Employee - Managing Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England (UK)

Pros

The people are simply great - so collaborative and helpful. The practice I joined is global, and the people we have around the world are wonderful to work with. The atmosphere in the office is hugely positive - it is just a great place to be. I had a family friend here on work experience recently - she was blown away by it all too. I did the same job for 24 years before coming here, and had no reason to move, but the more people I met the easier the decision became. I would highly recommend Navigant as an employer.

Cons

Getting used to the corporate culture (not Navigant specific corp culture, just generally) was a shock to my system as I had not been in this environment before, but I am slowly picking it up (with the help of my wonderful colleagues).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place for motivated self-starters

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Widely recognized consulting firm with a diverse suite of services and industry focus
    Work-life balance in excellent, compensation is commensurate to employee input (I feel like I'm duly rewarded for what I put in)
    Flexible working arrangements

Cons

I think work environment varies widely among practices and sub-groups, so my experience with my team (Energy - transaction due diligence and regulatory advisory) might be quite different from others' experience

Increase incentives and reduce barriers to collaboration among practices and sub-groups

The Energy practice serves the biggest clients in the industry, so your impact has scale.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

Pros

The flexibility available to you around the work that you do is incredible.
    Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance.

Cons

The nature of consulting requires time tracking and constant awareness of how many of your hours are billable to a client. Unfortunately, this also ties into your bonus.

Build teams of people within your office who work well together.

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

gave me a lot of autonomy to work on projects and learn. Was able to write memos, work on financial models,and have client interaction from day 1.

Cons

many different bosses, lack of organizational clarity at times. Were some sharp personalities in the group. Were some efforts at training, but quickly forgotten when we got busy.

Integration of the different groups seemed to be a challenge at times. Navigant has grown largely through acquisition and it is a constant effort to align all these formerly disparate groups.

Professionalism and going the extra mile are part of the culture of this company.

Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst  in  Vermillion, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Vermillion, SD (US)

Pros

Great benefits, educational opportunities and lifelong learning. The office is friendly and coworkers strive to be a team. The flexibility to take time off for family obligations is really appreciated. You can leave your work at work if that is your choice.

Cons

No differential in pay for those with experience verses entry level in the SD offices. Team leaders are sometimes lacking in experience in dealing with personnel issues in a more positive, team buidling way since the office size grew very quickly.

Provide a path for career growth for those of us who want a career, not just a job.

Great for first year, stagnant after that

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Very flexible work arrangement (work remotely when needed, work odd-hours when needed, take off two hours in middle of day for appointments, etc.)
    Enthusiastic, bright, and engaging junior staff
    Plentiful initial training opportunities
    Commitment to diversity

Cons

Strict hierarchy
    Uninspiring executive team
    Incohesive corporate/management goals/message
    Lack of training opportunities after first year
    Little emphasis on professional development
    Little support for pursuing learning opportunities
    Bloated management and executive compensation
    Inconsistent vacation policies
    Aggressive acquisition campaign destroys 'close-knit' culture

Tie management and executive compensation to median employee salary (no more than 20x median salary for executives, 10x for management)
    Provide consistent and cohesive firm-wide goals
    Focus on employees you already have, not companies you want to acquire
    Encourage training and professional development from the top down
    Provide consistent vacation allowances to employees of all levels
    Try to spend a day-in-the-life of administrators, consultants, and analysts to gain perspective
    Start a sustainability initiative to limit reckless waste of resources (electricity, paper, ink, water, heating/cooling)

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

Pros

Faced paced with a wide array of opportunities to strength the depth of your skills set.

Cons

On the small side, which is often a benefit.

Consider becoming a private company again.

Great place to work if you like a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment that pays for performance

Current Employee - Managing Director  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Strong experienced leaders who work alongside staff providing an outstanding learning experience for the whole team, nice people to work with, good teamwork and collaboration, we work on challenging assignments at industry leading companies, if you perform well there are lots of advancement opportunities and good compensation, not a lot of beauracracy like at Big Four consulting firms, no independence issues that get in the way of sales

Cons

Lacks the global scale of large consulting firms (but the pluses far outweigh the cons)

Figure out a way to tell the Navigant story better since many people do not know who we are. Build a much better web presence to help promote the brand.

Worked for Navigant Consulting? Contribute to the Community!