Navigant Consulting

Updated 30 October, 2014
3.1

Navigant Consulting Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• you got the chance to work with smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience at Navigant has been good.

Current Employee - Intern in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Intern in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

- Ability to move up in the firm
    - Interesting work
    - Managing Directors are open to providing mentoring to junior level employees

Cons

- Lack of organizational culture
    - Competition within firm employees

Improve corporate culture and make new employees feel like they're somewhere important, where their work has impact.

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Navigant has great people and everyone seems to be extremely bright and committed to satisfying the needs of our clients. There is a lot of growth especially in the Financial Services Practice

Cons

Not too much vacation time. Benefits are average at best. Coming from a huge bank, there is an adjustment of expectation that needs to occur.

Work life balance is key. Be sure that compensation remains competitve so that you keep great people.

Great so far. Room for improvement

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very engaging, bright, and fun junior staff
    Very accomplished and intelligent managers
    Very flexible work hours
    Impactful, interesting, and challenging casework

Cons

Strict hierarchy
    Innovation does not seem to be a middle management priority
    Disconnect between executive team and junior staff
    Disconnect between executive team messaging/vision/goals and day-to-day work
    Below-average commitment to training/professional development/continuous learning opportunities

Encourage training and professional development from the top down
    Embrace/encourage a culture of continuous improvement, innovation, and thought creation from all levels
    Create a culture where frequent, insightful (even informal) feedback is the norm, not the exception
    Re-align incentives (for all employees) to better match firm-wide goals/mission (e.g. if work-life balance is a priority, don't count company-wide holidays against utilization)

Great Internship Program

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interned with Navigant this summer and had a great experience. The firm was professional and let me dip my feet in higher level work. I got to work directly with a Managing Director, which was pretty cool since most interns barely even meet their higher-ups. They also went out of their way to make sure they planned fun events for us (the interns) and got exposure to a variety of practices within the firm. Met a lot of friends.

Cons

Sporadic deadlines, my supervisors often had to work long hours and come into the office on weekends. Other than New York , DC, and Chicago the offices are small.

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your internship experience. We work to ensure that our interns have an opportunity to experience all that Navigant has to offer and glad to see that you did.

Middle of the road place to work

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule is nice

Cons

Siloed groups within practice areas, creates competition rather than collaboration. If not actively marketing yourself your work is easily overlooked.

Create compensation, vacation, benefits package that is competitive. Plenty of great places to work in Boulder, Navigant should want to be known as one of them.

I like the company more than the specific department

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, responsive hr team, location

Cons

Low salary, no buy in from staff, no clear salary scale

Listen to those not at the big table

Hit or Miss

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture can be somewhat stuffy, but most people are talented and committed. Lots of training opportunities and if you are creative, you can pitch your own.

Cons

There is an increasing pressure on billability, which doesn't help for making it a fun place to be. There's a bit of an identity crisis at the moment. You need to get on good projects with good D's and MD's if you want to advance.

Invest in better systems to support employees. Make messages more consistent to employees about the value you hope to get from them.

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and will take them into account as areas to address as the Firm continues to evolve.”

Under-appreciated and Overworked

Current Employee - Summer Associate
    Current Employee - Summer Associate

I have been working at Navigant Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

No formal training program means that it truly is a baptism by fire. Mentor program is good for the interns, but they have no sway in terms of a formal offer.

Cons

In my contract I was told that any hours worked over 40 would be time and a half. Commercial projects mean that many weeks we would be working 50-70 hrs per week, but I was directly told by my manager to not input them into the system. After speaking with other employees about this, it seemed that this was very normal for interns to be scammed out of their overtime. The reason is because the managers undercut the competition on pricing projects in order to win them so that there is no money for overtime. When I finally told the HR coordinator about this at the end of the internship, I was told to input them all in (on my last day). My manager (before knowing I inputed overtime), said that he wanted me to work there full time. After this happened, I "suddenly" was not given an offer. This is because the projects that I worked on with him now were over budget, which made him look bad.

better work/life balance, understanding the true amount of time for each project rather than undercutting the competition.

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

We appreciate the candid feedback. I’m sorry you did not have the best experience at Navigant. We will be incorporating more guidelines to project managers about their interns' hours to ensure there ... More

Good place to work

Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Navigant Consulting part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer competitive benefits and a supportive work environment. I also found my co-workers to be very friendly and there was good camaraderie and team work.

Cons

The middle and upper level management tiers could be more transparent. The organizational structure also seemed somewhat complex, although this may have been due to the nature of the consulting industry.

I was a contractor and converted. Best decision I made

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding company, culture and upward mobility

Cons

Some of co-pays in health plan are a bit steep

Oct 09, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for leaving a review of your experience. We wish you much continued success here.

Navigant Consulting Photos