Nationwide Financial

www.nationwidefinancial.com

Nationwide Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014
Nationwide Financial – Columbus – “Nationwide Building”

Nationwide Financial CEO Steve S. Rasmussen

Steve S. Rasmussen

Pros
  • Sometimes the work/life balance could be better(in 5 reviews)

• Great people and management team(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You may not get rich at Nationwide, but you can make good money and have a work life balance(in 3 reviews)

Great Internship

IT Analysis (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

Prosmanagement, team oriented, technology, organized, importance on interns

ConsLittle, work, contract, work, nothing else

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve everyone in the team.

Great benefits, very transparent but hard to move around at the upper levels

ProsGreat culture. Fun and friendly environment. Sometimes the work/life balance could be better. Management at all levels does a great job of being transparent and living the values. There is a very diverse workforce that helps in developing solutions and products.

ConsThe opportunities to move around the company at the higher bands (F and G) could be better communicated and made available. There is still some politics and "who you know" verses job skills. It is much better that it was though.

A great place for politicians.. not for true salespeople or hungry professionals

Internal Wholesaler (Current Employee) Dublin, OH (US)

ProsNationwide will give you a salary, some pretty decent benefits, paid time off ("your time" to use as you wish, whenever you wish, yeah right.. more on that in the cons) and a steady, albeit maddingly boring, job.

Coast along and just "make your numbers" and you'll never get fired.

Mediocre and not that intelligent? You're welcome with open arms

No hard work, ambition, or overtime required

If you get in the right place, at the right time, on the wholesaling teams, you can make bank for doing nothing at all pretty much

You can hide in the cracks of the massive bureaucracy. Just smile and say some generic phrases like "I'd like to share a best practice" and "synergy is very important right now" and you'll be left alone and praised

ConsPolitics unlike anything you'll ever see.... corporate fat cats getting butts kissed

Low pay compared to industry

You can get stuck very easy, I've seen extremely talented guys get passed over for promotions dozens of times, and they've been in their position, killing it, for 8+ years.... you can get politically blacklisted at the snap of a hat

You'll probably never go anywhere, and after a few years they'll start to treat you worse

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Learn and Grow

Associate Actuary (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsI've been impressed with the transparency that upper management gives regarding earnings and expenses. They also do a great job through out the year telling you how the bonus structure looks (done quarterly). I was even surprised when HR sent out emails telling everyone that they should up their 401(k) because bonuses are given out and that money is not put into the 401(k) automatically.

The company is doing very well. Nationwide has 2 pillars P&C (auto, home, commercial, ect.) and Life (financial, life insurance, annuities, group & health, ect.) They earn about the same revenue each year now making Nationwide the most diverse insurance company in America. I really am confident that there is no single one even that can completely destroy this company (well there could be, but I think everyone in the nation/world would have a lot bigger issues than how my employer is doing). Nationwide also has many more products with special risk, vet pet insurance, agribusiness and much more.

The pay isn't to bad either, at least where I sit. I was able to get a raise when I moved here from another company. I feel like they are competitive and overall work to get you to a point that is equal to your peers. Nothing is perfect, but they do try by being transparent with paybands. Each job has a payband of A-H. H being AVP level and up. Bonuses start at Level A. A-C at 1.5%, D-F at 2.0%. G&H use a different bonus model that is dependent on the earnings of your department and not just the enterprise. G bands get 5% and H bands much more. All bonuses are multiplied by a factor 0 through 2 based on metrics. We've done well the last few years. getting over a 1.5 for 2013.

Work life balance is pretty good. Depending on your level and department some may work more than others. I was a consultant before and the balance can not even be compared. I can leave after 8 hours if I want/need.

Vacation time is PTO and dependent on PayBand Level and years of experience.

401(k) is 3% on 6%. Nationwide has a pension that basically gets you to the other 3%. I verified that through using my actuarial background/experience.

Engagement is very important and they do surveys every year. Often times rewarding teams upper management for good engagement.

There are perks like blue jackets tickets and other engagement activities throughout the year.

ConsGetting into Nationwide can be somewhat difficult if you didn't land here out of college. Many times they hire within and then fill low positions with new people out of college typically or people willing to go down a level. I fortunately didn't have to go down a level, but I received a very hard interview process to get the job. In my opinion harder because I wasn't a Nationwider.

Health Benefits are eh. They have lots of coverage but now use high deductible plans and then fund back with HSA's. They also make people jump through hoops with fitness plans and health numbers to get money back. Spouses with coverage at their employer will have to pay more to get on the Nationwide plan.

401(k) could be better, but is on par wit the industry.

Career discussions really rely on your manager and I can see how people could get lost in a large company.

Actuarial program is good on study time, but bad on pay and bonuses. They use a $500 per hour model which is the lowest I've ever seen. Most companies are $700 and my previous employers moved to $1,000.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR is implementing a career focus plan. Please use this and actually talk to your employees about their career instead of just living in the moment. Also if you want to cut expenses, don't worry about printing, worry about our complex distribution and focusing on DIRECT sales.

Director

Director (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsGreat people and management team

ConsPoor work / life balance

An amazing opportunity for anyone in this industry.

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsThey value you individually as an employee. They provide you with all of the recipes for success. Your advancement is completely up to you; in a world where nothing comes to you for free, you'll want to have a driver for more if you're trying to advance. Dress and work for the position you want, not the position you have.

ConsIntroductory pay may not be as sufficient to current financial needs, dependent on the person, but the room for growth far exceeds any initial benefits. If you don't stand out as an employee or as a hard worker, you may be in jeopardy of moving up. Also, it seems the only real way to get offered an introductory position is through a contractor.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management? Maybe focus less on politics and focus more on the employee putting in the hard work. I've seen some instances where people are getting paid drastically more and aren't as capable or hard working as their peers.

Plenty of opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was plenty of training for my position, and, depending on which department you are in, there are plenty of opportunities for growth. As with any large company, it helps to try to stand above the rest.

ConsIt's easy to feel lost the crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain transparency about departmental changes.

Contractors beware.

Developer, IT Applications (Former Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsIf you are looking for sponsorship & don't mind 50+ hours a week then this job is for you. Or if you never worked in IT before it's a great place to get training although you will be required to make up that time.

ConsOT mandatory & on-call required for developers. No added pay or benefit. Just my experience and observation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop abusing the sponsored employee and comparing their no other choice work ethic to those of us that know what you are up to.

Happy

Prosgreat company, the people are fantastic.

Consfluctuation pay which makes maintaining an income difficult.

Politics Over Performance

Regional Internal Consultant (Former Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsThey sponsored me for my Series 6

ConsHard work is not valued at this company. Results are not a basis for promotion. Neither is product or industry knowledge. If you'd like to move up, practice your political skills and don't rock the boat. Nothing should ever be questioned.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a culture that values creativity, hard work, passion, and dedication instead of one focused on playing perfectly in the sandbox.

Worked for Nationwide Financial? Contribute to the Community!