Nationwide Building Society

Updated 5 December, 2014
Updated 5 December, 2014
3.4

Graham Beale

Pros
  • Great people employed, really good team (in 5 reviews)

• Career development, worklife balance, the company is all about people, they reward the staff very well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salaries respect the competition (in 4 reviews)

• Some very questionable decisions are made by senior management which implies they don't really know what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

customer service rep

Former Employee - Customer Representative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Representative in London, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Career development, worklife balance, the company is all about people, they reward the staff very well.

Cons

stressful and demanding, the job can be stressful at times but its all worth it

nothing really

Tedious firm

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

There are no pros for this very unprofessional firm

Cons

Old fashioned way of working. Hypocritical management who do not live their values but bang on about them endlessly and pointlessly.

Too much dead wood - get rid of it in your own ranks. Lack of technical skills means you should not be there.

a great place to work - good people and culture

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (less than an year)

Pros

clear company values which are embedded in how things are done. succesful business model. good work life balance

Cons

good brand - but can be a little shy in telling the wider world about themselves

So PROUD to work for such an HONEST company

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding Job benefits. Success is recognised. Nationwide lives and breathes what we stand by and it all about the people. Highly challenging but highly rewarding. We get rewarded for doing the right thing for our customers, not for the benefit of the company. career development is great. for those willing to work hard... that is. I have had 5 promotions in 5 years.

Cons

demands of the job and stress... but its all worth it.

Think about the tools which are needed to support making managers life even better - laptops for ALL BMs not just SBMs.

Such a friendly and nurturing place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Representative in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Representative in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked for nationwide for over a year and have yet to find any major faults. They truly do support you with your development and encourage you to expand out of your comfort zones. Since being at nationwide i have become a lot more confident with myself mainly thanks to my branch manager. The people i work with are fun and enthusiastic. They put their all in to what they do and we all help each other. I would 100% recommend nationwide to work for as you get back what you put in. They are great for acknowledging achievements and helping you get to where you want to be.

Cons

Just a tiny one .... systems need a bit of improvement but i know that is something that is being worked on at the moment.

I work in a branch and would love to know more about head office maybe visit and see the areas that i am interested in progressing to. Not sure how people in branches can go about doing this?

Best Company to Work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

Pros

Really is a great place to work with extremely helpful and friendly staff. Believe in putting their employees first and look after their staff. My manager in particular is an asset to the business and I am grateful to work for her

Cons

Systems not fit for purpose and often are off-line. This results in added pressure to an ever burgeoning workload

Do not work at Nationwide if you are an intelligent hard worker who doesn't "play the game"

Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Bournemouth, England (UK)

Pros

1) Working 9-5.
    2) Lunch break along with two 15 minute breaks.
    3) Good colleagues for the most part.

Cons

1) The rating system is based around "Behaviours" and "Tasks". Behaviours has a lot more weight to it and unless you are willing to kiss up to the managers you will not get a large bonus, pay rise or promotion.
    2) Archaic company using old computer systems stuck in a red ocean strategy.
    3) Do not value higher education.
    4) Sexism - 65-70% of the workforce are women including most managers. Makes it harder for men to succeed who are just as capable if not more so.
    5) Lack of opportunity. Most roles in Swindon where obviously not many people want to live.
    6) Sychophantic culture.
    7) Low salaries. Benchmarks are at bottom of national average and in some cases even lower. Causes high staff churn and makes work less productive and efficient.

1) Move people into roles they are educated for and can succeed in.
    2) Place more/most emphasis on work and not how much you demonstrate "PRIDE" and being really happy and positive all the time.
    3) Understand the true value of your employees.
    4) More opportunities in other locations rather than just Swindon.
    5) Higher salaries.

Good to work for and room for improvement.

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Needs of the customer are always put first.
    -Excellent products compared to competitors.
    -If you want to work hard and display a good attitude you won't have any issues.
    -Friendly colleagues, team spirit is promoted.
    -Keeping with the times re: digital.
    -Competitive salaries.

Cons

-Pay scales don't leave much wiggle room once you've been in the same job role a few years, longer-term employees are more inclined to think 'what's the point?'.
    -External staff with less experience are brought in on higher salaries.
    -Recruitment is painfully slow at times leaving branches short staffed.

Be more on the ball with recruitment.

I love working here, but it isn't without it's challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The head office building is great. Everything you need is on site and there is a great buzz. Benefits are good, pension after 2yrs service is also really good. The people you work with are on the whole very helpful and willing to give you their time to help. Its not a place full of egos or people who are all me me me. Having had a number of jobs elsewhere this is by far the best place I've worked.

Cons

Parking isn't great, get in early if you want a space! Depending on the business area things can get quite political, so like anywhere work out who you can trust and who you can't. It can be quite difficult to get things done at speed due to having to get things done by committee.

Don't listen to all the talk, look out for and reward the people who keep their head down and get the job done - we Ned more doers and less talkers!

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Graduate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

- Good work/life balance
    - Development opportunities always available
    - Great atmosphere - always someone around willing to help
    - Loads of opportunities to get involved and have fun, e.g. charity events, competitions etc

Cons

There's never enough parking spaces!

Nationwide Building Society Photos