National Oilwell Varco

www.nov.com

National Oilwell Varco Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

National Oilwell Varco Chairman, President, CEO, and Director Pete Miller Jr.

Pete Miller Jr.

Pros
  • There is an excellent work/life balance in my position (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits programs for salaried individuals (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Some problems with middle management (in 7 reviews)

• no work life balance and bad management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Freedom to act and self project startup

Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsManagement extremely flexible and willing to let employees try new things
    Provide freedom to let employees perform self start-up project or initiative
    Unlimited career opportunities and roles to undertake

ConsCompensation package is lacking compared to industry standard
    It takes great deal of time to implement change

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company environment and harmony makes NOV a great place to work for, but the compensation package is definitely lacking. A more comprehensive offering would definitely help employees stay

Stay away from Hydrarig/Enerflow divisions.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsSince each division of NOV operates independently there are going to be a wide variety of everyone's experiences. Some divisions are quite well run.

ConsIn the Hydrarig/Enerflow division (Calgary, AB):
    -Communication down from management and between departments is lacking
    -Lack of training
    -No performance evaluations or wage review processes
    -IT is understaffed
    -Hiring office staff for hourly jobs at low wages and expecting people to make up the difference in overtime.
    -managers (claim to) lack the authority to adjust wages in their own division, requiring authorization from Houston

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in management and bring in a management team that can build a successful culture.

NOV is a great company to work for

Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsNOV - global company with strong knowledge and skilled people and strong systems. Lots of different growth career avenues.

ConsToo big to know all that there is

Advice to Senior ManagementShare or bring different business together and work together to streamline some of the processes

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to learn the business

Sales (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsAccess to all facets of the oil and gas busines. A strong employee first attitude. I would reccomend this as a good company to work for

ConsBig company processes and red tape that are there for good reason but can be frustrating. Thre is never just one person to call

The company needs to hire managers that are qualified and treat employees better.

ProsGood fellow employees and some unity between divisions.

ConsManagement is out of touch. What management says and what it does are two different things. Managers verbally abuse employees and HR does not investigate.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood hard working employees never see raises or bonuses. Branch manager keeps entire bonus.

It's a good job for a short amount of time

Field Service Technician (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsIt was alright, pay was good, and the schedule was flexible enough.

ConsWork got monotonous, no room for growth.

Pay is ok, Management in Canada not so much

Technician (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility and good work hours.

ConsManagement don't know what they are doing and run the business based on their bonus rather than what's good for the company. They all lack the knowledge and experience required to make this company successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

they do not pay well

Iside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

Prosit is not a very far drive from home, I have my own office,

Consto much drama and seperation from outside sales and inside sales and stuff backstabbing throwing people under the buss

Advice to Senior Managementpay your good employees more (what they deserve)

Good job but wouldn't pay overtime that was worked and never got a single thanks when I was forced to run a branch alone

Inside Sales/Warehouse (Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB

ProsBetter wage than I was making in BC

ConsManagement doesn't seem to appreciate employees at the lower level, only expects things

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees. A little thanks goes a long ways. And when you only have 2 people on shift, and expect 9 hour days, with no lunch break, yet won't allow anyone to be alone at the branch... pay them that extra hour of overtime!!! For months I worked 45 hour weeks and only got paid for 40. Ridiculous NOV, you can afford better than that. Never got a single thanks from management or a raise in 8 months

National Oilwell Varco good place to work

Service Tech (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent upward mobility if that is what you would like to do. Management has a clear head on their shoulders and there is opportunity for educational upgrades.

ConsThere is mostly a need to travel outside of Canada to develop your career. The management here seem to hunker down in there position and never leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease drug test, the results accross the board of Management and Employees alike might surprise you. I know there is management in my department that have scored drugs on the floor from their subordinates!!!!

Worked for National Oilwell Varco? Contribute to the Community!