National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective (in 13 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

A very nice place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe NI culture borrows a lot from other places but at the same time differs. Everyone is friendly, the people are amiable.

ConsTime-off policies can be a little restrictive for some people and you will find yourself working on various projects at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, and remember to always be considerate of those you manage.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company to work for

ConsNothing I can't think about

Advice to Senior ManagementGood

Great place to start at

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThe projects are very interesting and enjoyable to work on. The benefits are good, and the opportunities to learn new things when you start are many. I get to wear shorts everyday and occasionally drink beer at work functions. Talk about nice culture. There are decent opportunities for career growth. The CEO, CFO, and other executives are pretty great. They've been able to weather two recessions now without any layoffs.

ConsIt seems like the company is currently going through some growing pains. I'm sure they will eventually work through it, but the company isn't really growing. Salary quickly falls behind the industry average after a few years of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight need to try new strategies if the company hasn't been growing, rather than waiting to weather the storm or trying to squeeze every little thing for more profit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start career

Writer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThere is challenging, interesting work available with supportive management, co-workers, and training opportunities. The work culture and environment are positive.

ConsSome do not consider the salaries to be comparable to similar opportunities available at other companies, including the offered benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on more than just the entry-level careers and positions.

Very friendly place to work, not the best at salary and growth

Staff Technical Writer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThe people are friendly, smart, and motivated. The campus is lovely, the company really has a mission.

ConsPay is low, advancement opportunities are stifled by thick wall of 10-20 year experience employees, vacation is pathetic

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter vacation, better telecommuting, better accountability.

Fun and exciting place to work!

Software Engineering Intern I (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsCasual dress code with food and events going on all the time. Large opportunity to grow in rank quickly. Management is easy to communicate with.

ConsAustin is hot and the roads around town and weather are not an ideal environment. Housing prices are increasing rapidly as well. The company's great, but the area's not the best.

Awesome first job

Applications (ELP) Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsAmazing office culture and plenty of opportunities to learn

ConsAnarchy in Top management.

An Above Average Job

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsNI is very flexible with your schedule. I never feel guilty showing up a little late for work, taking a long lunch, etc. As long as I put in my 40 hours, I don't get hassled.

The work is interesting. Sometimes it is so interesting that I put in extra hours because I want to, not because I'm expected to.

The people are extremely smart and you will learn a lot. The work is challenging so there is a lot to learn.

For the most part, management is pretty capable and transparent.

ConsSalary is poor. Raises are poor. Promotions come with little or no extra money. Benefits are average.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing more in your employees. I have seen a lot of good talent leave in the last year for higher paying jobs. NI has a good company culture, but you can't feed your family with good culture.

Quickly growing company with fun work environment

Marketing (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsMy work always felt important and necessary to keep the company going. My boss was a great person, easy to get along with, and always willing to teach and answer questions.

ConsThe internally used technology was a bit outdated and sometimes very frustrating. My computer was also a bit outdated. I also felt like some days I would get stuck at my desk working nonstop.

Great Place for Recent Graduates and Senior Professionals Looking for Work-Life Balance

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsStrong culture focused on teamwork. Community-oriented business that dedicates employee time and money to education initiatives. Great program for building recent college grads into engineering leaders. Core focus on customer success and satisfaction. Fantastic CEO!

ConsMust be an engineer to advance, even in marketing-focused roles. Too internally focused on building consensus and having the "perfect plan." Slow-paced, meeting-obsessed culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees to make decisions. For example, often times, I had to present information to every individual on the working team and then present the same information to the group as a whole. It would have been more efficient to get buy-in virtually first or present the information to the group as a whole first. Then, schedule a follow-up meeting if things need to get hashed out.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!