National Instruments Reviews

Updated 28 September, 2014
3.7

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance (in 89 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over (in 15 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

A very nice place to work at

I worked at National Instruments as an intern

Pros

The NI culture borrows a lot from other places but at the same time differs. Everyone is friendly, the people are amiable.

Cons

Time-off policies can be a little restrictive for some people and you will find yourself working on various projects at the same time.

Keep doing what you're doing, and remember to always be considerate of those you manage.

Good

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Nothing I can't think about

Good

Great opportunities to learn

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

Autonomy, ability to set own schedule, priorities

Cons

Consensus based culture, politics and internal structure

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a great place to work especially if you're ambitious.

Current Employee - Staff Systems Engineer  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Systems Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great corporate culture.
    Great work life balance.
    Great training and career development.
    If you're ambitious it's possible to create your own path.

Cons

Salaries are below average and new hires will suffer salary compression for several years.
    Upper management decision making is super slow. Managers are too concerned with what every other group in the company will think to make decisions.

Keep salaries competitive, especially for employees that have been at NI for years, they are much more valuable than new hires (even experienced new hires).

NI needs to figure out how to make decisions faster.

Great place to work, very positive experience.

Former Employee - Senior Group Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Group Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is a great place to start and grow your career. Whatever your job function, there are always opportunities to grow both personally and professionally. I was able to find several great mentors, many of whom became personal friends. Very relaxed and fun work environment. I genuinely enjoyed going to work each day. NI as a company, and every direct manager I had, genuinely care about their employees as a person, you're not just a resource/number. Very nice campus and location in Austin. Very good overall benefits package.

Cons

Very consensus driven. This is both good and bad. On the one hand, everyone's feedback is gathered and considered, but on the other hand there tend be 'lurking approvers' who seem to have made a career out of torpedoing decisions at the last possible moment. Id expect this (and worse) at most workplaces, and it is fairly easily managed once you pick out the repeat offenders whose ego tends to make them quite predictable.

Promotions beyond a certain level become more of a popularity contest, dependent on how much your manager 'cheer-leads' for you.

Metrics drive behavior. In some instances it seems only the goal is looked at (usually in some form of a $ goal: cost reduction, sales numbers, etc), rather than HOW it was achieved. A few of the more aggressive 'corporate climbers' have left a 'trail of bodies' in their wake, going seemingly unnoticed from above.

Overall, Long-term Great Employer

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Challenging work environment with lots of energetic and smart employees. Company's products and customer applications are really cool. Work environment is great. Very stable employer. Management cares about employees and works to create meaningful job responsibilities and career paths.

Cons

Decision making is slow. Compensation is below average due to large ratio of employees to revenue and profit. Tools and processes are outdated and cumbersome. Difficult for experienced hires to integrate into the home grown culture.

Great people and great learning experience

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

Very welcoming and kind
    No micromanagement
    Office has lots of amenities (gym, workout classes, sand volleyball)

Cons

Pay is not up to expectations

Very positive

I have been working at National Instruments full-time

Pros

awesome people and funny environment

Cons

the salary is low compared to competitors

It was a very good place to work. Good people and company.

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work. Good people who really believe in the company and products. It was a very nice work environment, where I think most people really liked working together. There was also good cooperation between the various departments within the company.

Cons

Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over. There were a number of times that I had to stay late without any notice to help solve a problem.

Overall, I think they did a good of encouraging a good work environment, while also taking care of the company.

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Service Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Service Sales Representative

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working environment is ecxellent. The company does care about employees in terms of health and personal balance. There is no discrimination. Managers and supervisor's doors are always open. You get to learn a lot because National Instruments invests a lot on training. It's also good if you like to travel.

Cons

If you are not an engineer is not so easy to change position. Compensation is below avarage.

Review salaries.

National Instruments Photos

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!