National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance(in 83 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective(in 13 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process(in 15 reviews)

A very nice place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe NI culture borrows a lot from other places but at the same time differs. Everyone is friendly, the people are amiable.

ConsTime-off policies can be a little restrictive for some people and you will find yourself working on various projects at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, and remember to always be considerate of those you manage.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company to work for

ConsNothing I can't think about

Advice to Senior ManagementGood

An Above Average Job

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsNI is very flexible with your schedule. I never feel guilty showing up a little late for work, taking a long lunch, etc. As long as I put in my 40 hours, I don't get hassled.

The work is interesting. Sometimes it is so interesting that I put in extra hours because I want to, not because I'm expected to.

The people are extremely smart and you will learn a lot. The work is challenging so there is a lot to learn.

For the most part, management is pretty capable and transparent.

ConsSalary is poor. Raises are poor. Promotions come with little or no extra money. Benefits are average.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing more in your employees. I have seen a lot of good talent leave in the last year for higher paying jobs. NI has a good company culture, but you can't feed your family with good culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quickly growing company with fun work environment

Marketing (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsMy work always felt important and necessary to keep the company going. My boss was a great person, easy to get along with, and always willing to teach and answer questions.

ConsThe internally used technology was a bit outdated and sometimes very frustrating. My computer was also a bit outdated. I also felt like some days I would get stuck at my desk working nonstop.

Great Place for Recent Graduates and Senior Professionals Looking for Work-Life Balance

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsStrong culture focused on teamwork. Community-oriented business that dedicates employee time and money to education initiatives. Great program for building recent college grads into engineering leaders. Core focus on customer success and satisfaction. Fantastic CEO!

ConsMust be an engineer to advance, even in marketing-focused roles. Too internally focused on building consensus and having the "perfect plan." Slow-paced, meeting-obsessed culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees to make decisions. For example, often times, I had to present information to every individual on the working team and then present the same information to the group as a whole. It would have been more efficient to get buy-in virtually first or present the information to the group as a whole first. Then, schedule a follow-up meeting if things need to get hashed out.

Changing strategies

Field Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsCompany is focusing on having better customer experience, and employees being more goal oriented to achieve that. Creates career opportunities.

ConsChanges are not happening at the same time. So every 6 months there are new things to work on or you just lost 6 months of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has the overall idea of where the company is moving. This adjustment has to be gradual and well explained.

So far so good

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Batu Maung (Malaysia)

Pros- Working environment
    - Flexible hour
    - Very friendly and helpful colleagues
    - Lots of team event

ConsBar aside average salary, I can't really think of any downside of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work .

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Debrecen (Hungary)

ProsGood salaries.
    Management is fast to react.
    Very nice environment.
    Nice people to work with who are helpful.

ConsNot so easy to advance in career, if you start with an acceptable salary you most likely won't earn much more even if you take a further step in your career. Even if you apply for a job with "Software Engineer" you may end up as tester of service desk agent. Software Engineer means every possible IT job for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop using Software Engineer for all IT jobs. Service Desk agent is SD agent while a software engineer uses programming languages not SM9 ticketing system.

Great place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThe people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance. The culture is one of a kind and you can be creative in how you do your job. They encourage personal growth. They also take care of their top performers

ConsThe pay could be better

good work culture

Proswork life balance is perfect

Consnot too much challenge work in shanghai office

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!