Nakisa

Add Photos

Nakisa President and CEO Babak Varjavandi

Babak Varjavandi

Make the best of it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nakisa full-time for more than a year

Pros+ Interesting product and underlying tech
+ Good location
+ People

Cons- No development past the 1 or 2 year mark
- Sense of mediocrity; no 'A' game

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place to get a start in either Development or Services. Not such a great place to stick around in after you've gained some experience (2 years). If you stay you won't develop.

In Development, expect to work on front end JS / XML / HTML unless you're half decent in which case they let you in to work on their Java core framework.

In Services the projects are quick installations of org charting and talent management software. The clients are all over the globe. You can expect to get sent to places like Brazil, Australia, and interact with some large companies and public sector organizations.

However because of limited growth potential and inexperience in management, for those of you who want to give to and receive more from their career, you will need to go somewhere else. This is everything but on a small scale. Good luck to you and Nakisa!

The company itself is confused

Project Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Nakisa full-time for more than a year

ProsThe job itself was fun
Many of the people are nice

ConsManagement and team leads seem confused most of the time and miss deadlines
Upper management is not pleasant

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better project managers and treat employees better.
HR is great, our teams are great, it is just a downer to see someone from management carrying all the negative energy or showing off to us. We do not care about you, we care about getting the project done ON TIME!!

Good people, boring job

I worked at Nakisa full-time for more than a year

Pros-The best thing about Nakisa is the people who work there. They are friendly and help you a lot.
- Very friendly, hand in code managers. Chris & Albert are great managers to work with. They will support their team 100%.
- The location is down town Montreal, McGill Collage.

Cons- More work in XML, XSL than Java. As a software developer you may expect to work with Java but mostly it is configuration.
- It is more like a family business. The head of HR is CEO's sister, Head of IT, QA, Finance & Support is CEO's brother. Working with him is hard & he doesn't have knowledge for technical decisions that he make.
- No pension plan.
- Limited insurance.
- I would only recommend this company for the first job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think your brother has enough knowledge for the decisions he make.

Happy that I left the company before it breaks down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nakisa full-time

ProsBreakfast is included, BUT always check the expiry dates!

You will find many fantastic co-workers there, BUT hurry up, on average every week one of them is leaving (Why? check the cons)

The company is in downtown and has access to underground level (It is important if you know Montreal's winters)

The chairs! I missed them a lot. Variety of perfect office chairs that you can choose!

ConsThe company is totally SAP dependent (partner), and since SAP acquired their competitor (SuccessFactor), they couldn't make enough money!

Almost all the key people in the company left in late 2012 and early 2013, including 4 VPs (Marketing, PS, Finance and Engineering Operations)! Plus more than 10 developers, five testers and more than 10 people from other departments (More than 20% of company's population!)

The culture is awful. There is no place for feedback and criticism. The head of HR is the sister of company owner and executive. And his brother is in charge of release, test, IT and finance departments! So, if you are not happy with what they do (which is common), leave the company before they let you go!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't need to give jobs to all your relatives if you want your company grow.

All in all, very satisfied with my experience at Nakisa.

I worked at Nakisa full-time for more than a year

ProsThe location is very convenient (downtown Montreal).
There was a fun, friendly and supportive atmosphere in the office.
My direct managers were knowledgeable, supportive and helpful. The other managers that I worked with, were good in general but few of them weren't either as resourceful as I wished them to be or as supportive.
Down to earth and easy to reach CEO; same goes for most of other top level managers.
Good pay and compensation.
Free breakfast, coffee and snack.

ConsThere was not much hard core Java involved in daily work. As a developer I was looking for more Java work than XML, XSL or JS tasks.
There was lighting issue in most areas of the office. Also heating and cooling system was not very good (temperature was very different in different floors of the building).
No private parking, so if you want to take your car to work, you either have to find a spot in the street , which isn't very easy all the time as the area and surrounding streets are super busy, or pay 20 to 30 bucks to park in one of the buildings around the office like Place Ville-Marie.

to be or not to be at Nakisa. See below and make your own opinion

Professional Services Team (Former Employee)

I worked at Nakisa full-time for more than a year

Pros- Breakfast is included. And the selection isn't bad.

- The office is downtown

- The office space is nice

- The people that I worked with are dedicated (the employees)

- The pay was good

Cons- Insurance plan is way too high for what you get

- The PS team, is overworked, not appreciated, told that you have to work nights and weekends and you have to push your team to reach unrealistic objectives.

- They had a compensation plan that was not at all taught through (frankly I think it’s even been abolished)

- Some of the people that are “connected” are just dead weight and choke you when you try to push a little too hard.

- Not sure that the CEO is the right person to lead the company to where it needs to be

- They don’t even use what they sell to clients internally on themselves to promote key people in the organization that could make a real impact.

- No work life balance

- There has been a huge turn over for the past year.

- Things are not getting better.

- The company is hurting cash wise.

- Empty promises

My advice to people trying to apply there; if you already have a job, don't quit to go there, you will regret it as I did. If however you don't have a job and need one until something better comes along; go for it, you will pass probation and get a nice salary while something better comes in. Don't waste your time long term at Nakisa, your career will stagnate.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure if you are at the point of no return yet; but chances are you're close. You can't expect people to feel comfortable sharing some frustrations with HR if the head of that department is the sister of the CEO (clear conflict of interest)

Start cleaning your house, look at what has happened to your PS team, they are all leaving and the remaining ones are not going to put up it with any longer (trust me we all talk amongst ourselves.

Your biggest problem is in the development team (product) you have people there that aren't team players and think that they are "God"; they aren't and someone needs to tell them that.

Also, you lost a key player that was coaching your director of PS... that was a huge loss and frankly the director's short coming are starting to show... Hire a new coach for him or replace him all together; he is too ZEN to drive a team. There is someone in that team that could run it the way it should... promote that person before that person leaves too...

Great place to work

I have been working at Nakisa full-time for more than 3 years

Proslots career opportunities
great learning opportunities
friendly culture everyday breakfast

Conscompany gorwing fast and at time deadlines are tight

Advice to Senior Managementdont have one

Worked as a Software Developer

I worked at Nakisa full-time for more than a year

ProsThe R&D department had some pretty solid, albeit overworked leaders. Despite the constant stress they kept level heads. There were some nice people working there overall. They have the occasional really fun events, like Halloween.

ConsYou're surrounded by a lot of overworked developers. While I was there, I spent all too much time working on bugs and working on customer installations rather than on actual development. There was little growth as a developer, the architecture was complex beast. There were turbulent periods where people got fired or started leaving in droves due to dissatisfaction.

CEO, I was never entirely sure what to make of. On one hand, his speeches were engaging, he seemed approachable and open-minded, but seemed his perfectionism was at the detriment of those working under him. Also heard some disheartening 'quotes' (transmitted through the grapevine) such as "I don't care if it's your wedding day or any day, if you have work to do you'll do it."

HR felt like it wasn't there to protect the interests of the employees. The CEO's sister's in charge so you never feel entirely comfortable.

So far so good

Software Developer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nakisa

Pros- Oppurtunity to learn
- Oppurtunity to grow
- Reasonable pay
- Friendly management
- Indoor games (table tennis, pool table etc)
- Good experienced top management in the field around CEOs
- Casual dress code (even shorts do)

Cons- Unpaid extra hours
- No job security
- Pricey unworthy health benefits (around 5% of your pay and only covers around 70%)
- No retirement plan

Advice to Senior Management- Trust your employess and try to retain key people (you a re in HCM business, God dammit!)
- Go more transparent with your employess
- Stick to your long term planning
- Let employee feel they worke hard (lets just share 10% of your pure income among employees but not theone in senior mangement)
- For God sake don't server pizza in company wide lunch meetings :)

So far, so good

I have been working at Nakisa

ProsIt’s been less than a year since I joined Nakisa. I want to write a comment because when I was offered the job I looked at the past glassdoor comments before giving my final answer. I was surprised with what I read as it was not the feeling I had during my recruitment process with all the people I met.
In the end, I went with my gut feeling and decided to join Nakisa. It was the right decision as the position and the culture of the company was what I expected.

ConsIt is a growing company right now so it is obvious that there are areas of improvement and processes to be put in place. It is the choice of each employee. Do you want to work in a big structure where everything is defined and your responsibilities are limited? Or do you prefer to work in a smaller and growing company where you can bring ideas on the table, be innovative, improve your work each day and put processes in place?
So far, I have enjoyed my experience at Nakisa. I am working with a lot of smart people and within a multicultural environment. The client base is impressive, I believe in the products and in the HR industry market.

Worked for Nakisa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nakisa reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Nakisa CEO Babak Varjavandi. All 34 reviews are posted anonymously by Nakisa employees.