Nakisa Reviews

Updated 17 October, 2014
3.6

Nakisa President and CEO Babak Varjavandi
Babak Varjavandi

Heart of downtown - Challenging and fun at the same time

Current Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Nakisa full-time

Pros

Recently, there have been some positive changes including the hiring of many experienced and talented people to help the company stay on the right path toward success.
    Everyone is working hard to create differentiated and quality products for the clients and we do it well. The company culture and the people's experience brought to the table help very much to achieve this. Sometimes, I can't believe the amount of bright people that work here.
    When it comes to employee satisfaction, there is a lot of headway in the last 6 months
    I can't deny that location is amazing.
    Employees are kept more in the loop in terms of company vision and strategy than ever before. There are frequent company wide meetings, company updates, emails etc

Cons

From my perspective, I can't complain. The company is growing, so employees need to adapt. If you're someone that doesn't adapt well to change, it could be more difficult. Every company has room to improve, it's just a matter of time and resources.

I think we're going in the right direction.

Satisfied to work at a stable respectful company

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great relationship with supervisor
    Top managers and VPs really accessible and friendly
    Company's culture based on respect (the real one, the respect you feel day-in day-out, each second you spend at this company, not a simple word used by HR to attract like I experienced in other companies)
    Multicultural environment where we learn from each other
    Company at a growth phase, but human resources are the center of attention still
    Good salary
    Flexible working shifts
    Extra free week of vacation at christmas time (+ regular statutory holidays), management being really cool at this one :) makes it nearly 2 weeks off
    Strategy and orientations being shared and explained on a monthly and quarterly base

Cons

Honestly can't find that many to say .. Maybe some silos still to break between departments, but nothing critical, when you need other departments help you get it.

Keep on being what you are, genuine and approachable

Positive atmosphere, great people - overall a great place to work!

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about Nakisa are the people. Over the past couple of years, the company has managed to instill a very positive culture. They appear to hire not just based on knowledge and experience, but based on personality and fit as well, ensuring that everyone fits in well with the company's culture. You don't see this in many companies, and it helps make for a very positive working environment.

The leadership across the company is solid, with management acting as mentors and always providing people encouragement and the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally. Rather than leaving for other opportunities elsewhere, over the past few years, many people have looked internally and have taken on entirely new roles within the company. Many people across the company have been there for 10+ years.

The office is in the heart of downtown Montreal, with direct access from underground (which helps a lot during cold Montreal winter days!) Free food (cereal, bagels, toast, yogurt, fruits, etc) as well as tea and coffee are available all day, everyday.

The company is growing significantly, with many job openings across every department.

Cons

While I personally don't consider this a negative, if you're looking for a job with the same mundane day-to-day tasks, this definitely isn't the place for you. The work is fast-paced and challenging.

Really excited about the direction of the company. Keep doing what you're doing!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

To start with the more superficial, the office itself is pretty great. It's an old theater building (with a theater still in place), ping pong, pool tables, cafeteria, 20ft ceilings, etc. The culture is super friendly, easy-going, and hard-working. I'm surrounded by competent people who like being good at what they do, and I think that's pretty important.
    This isn't the kind of place that makes you stamp in/out, or even keep track of your movements. You almost make your own schedule (come in and leave late/early).. Just get your work done. I'm a big fan of keeping a flexible schedule.. static 9-5 just isn't viable in today's world.

The current Exec leadership is the strongest it has been since I joined a few years back. They are likable, approachable, and very smart. I have quite a bit of respect for them.. That said, there have been one of two rough points in the past with some of the execs who aren't here anymore..

Turnover - gfresh minds, bad-apples gone, positive energy, rebounding from successfactors,

Since it's not a massive company, there's a lot of opportunity to make waves and influence change. It's very easy to get included on a new project, jump on a new initiative, etc. This is probably one of the best things about this place: if you want it, there's load of opportunity. I'm sure there are people who are interested in cruising along, gaming the system, and collecting their checks.. That's not me. What I like about this place is that there are SO many ways to NOT be bored. I hate being bored. It's like necrosis for the mind. I'm not bored here.

Cons

We had an executive who was quite aggressive and not very open-minded. Caused some issues internally. There was another one who just didn't seem to care, and always seemed to find reasons to not work hard. They are both gone, so it's a non-issue now.

Can be hard to get direct feedback sometimes. When the culture is super-friendly, you almost have to go and ask for feedback and extract it from people. It's not always readily volunteered..

There have been a few disgruntled former-employees... and as a result the management team has been overly sensitive to current employees and slower to get rid of the current "bad apples" that are still here.. I really wish the management team would just fire the slackers that are still here. If someone isn't happy, get the hell out. Why wait to be fired anyways?

Exiting work in diverse and greatly helpful team with OK-ish salary

Current Employee - Senior Java Developer in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Senior Java Developer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

>> a great culture of understanding, respect, trust and team-work. Absolutely loving it.
    >> opportunity to work with some amazingly smart and very passionate people.
    >> opportunities to work with latest web-technologies and learn new things.
    >> plenty of opportunists for career growth/switching within company.
    >> good work-life balance most of the time.
    >> extra paid days offered to all employees on Christmas from the last few years.
    >> flexible schedule, work from home is acceptable sometimes but not regularly.
    >> foosball and eight-ball tables.
    >> style of management has improved since home-grown people have been promoted to senior management positions lately.
    >> easy access to workplace from Metro or Train.
    >> free breakfast available.

Cons

>> no group pension plans, neither any contribution towards RRSP
    >> below par IT infrastructure.
    >> below par benefits compared to market especially health coverage is too expensive. (You will end up paying 7% to 10% of your pay for very basic health plan).
    >> high turn-over that seems unusual for a company in HCM market.

>> High turn-over is hurting company, please do something to manage it. Stuck in a cycle where new people make mistakes and leave, whoever left behind have to go through a lot of firefighting to mange other's mistakes and so looses focus.
    >> it is improving but senior management team should need to do a lot more to gain back employee's confidence.
    >> For God sake, improve IT infrastructure. Can't understand how hey do math, 20$ savings in hardware is worth more than 20% productivity for IT. Not to mention the frustration build-up on employee's part.

Great people, challenging work, lots of growth opportunity

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has some of the best people I have ever worked with. It's like a "mini-UN" -- people come from all walks of life, different backgrounds, and different points. This definitely adds to the innovative and creative culture of the company. All teams work well together and everyone is always willing to help each other. Collaboration is definitely a strong point here.

The work is always changing, and it keeps you on your toes. Being a small company, you have the chance to get involved in many different initiatives that are outside of your typical job description. This really helps you in discovering your own strengths and interests and also build new marketable skills to put on your CV for the future.

Nakisa is also quite open to your personal growth and aligning your goals with the company goals. In times of growth, management is very good at recruiting internally first. As long as you make yourself clear of your interests, and where you think you can add value, management is very open to change your role to fit your satisfaction.

You get unlimited sick days a year. Your health and well-being is taken care of quite well. They're pretty good at accepting your request for time off, unless there is some dire need for you to be in during the time you requested. I have never been rejected for taking a vacation when I wanted

Cons

-Benefits are quite expensive for what is included in the package
    -Cubicles, though they are roomy, suck! Wish we could have an open-concept space
    -Not a big Work-From-Home culture - should be measured on the work you complete and its quality, not where you're working from...
    -no RRSP plan

Can we look into other companies and plans for our benefits? I've previously had plans with way better coverage that cost about the same as what we pay for ours.

Be greener - lower our carbon footprint! for example...let's ask our cleaning staff to recycle our recycling bins...not just throw it in the same garbage bin as the actual garbage!

Also, there are other small benefits like transit cost sharing (50-50 on employees' transit pass costs). Many employees transit in, and this is a huge cost for them in a year. It would also encourage more employees to take transit, contributing to a lower company carbon footprint!

Give back to the community. Initiate relief fund collections for disasters, organize team building activities that include some sort of volunteering

Brighten up the office...the dark paint colors are not conducive to productivity!

This is a great place to work and that is why I am here.

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

• Great colleague, lots of recruiting efforts goes into finding them.
    • Team spirit and friendly work culture
    • Interesting and challenging projects; see list of customers
    • Great products to work on
    • Great office spaces and location
    • Lots of room to grow, lots of vertical and lateral movements, employees are given the chance to move to new positions or new departments
    • Growth, opportunity
    • Kitchen and breakfast
    • Occasional movies in the private theater

Cons

Cons: Usual growing pains, have to adapt to changes

Great place to work at

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to access, downtown Montreal, great people, cool benefits. If you like not seeing the day go by like me, well this is the place, always something to do.

Cons

I don't really see any Cons for now.

More benefits...

..3 years now and ....still happy.

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are very friendly, most of them are easy to work with.
    Mostly young people, open minded, lot of fun. If you work hard you may get promoted.
    Good location, closed to the train.
    Free breakfast, including: fruits, milk, cereals, butter, jam, juice, bagels etc.
    Salary: fair.
    Sick days: unlimited, if you don't abuse.

Cons

Insurance cost a bit high.

Nakisa deserves better reviews

Before I interviewed at Nakisa, I read glassdoor and still took the job.

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nakisa was recommended to me by a friend who works here. After a year he is still here and I could not be happier. Working here you will meet people who have been here for 5, 10 even 15 years or more. Obviously many glassdoor comments are not reflective of how these employees feel.

The people are great. The management team has some new faces and all are eager to make the company a better place and help the company grow..... and it is growing. While there are lots of opportunities for the existing products, the new leasing product has a HUGE opportunity.

New to management is a COO, responsible for HR, someone with extensive experience with HR.

Nice office, good location, free fresh fruit and other food and the other stuff you would expect from a software company, and things you don't expect - their own movie theatre. I have never worked for a company that has so many staff lunches.

A truly worldwide company, but it is still small enough that the CEO will know your name.

Cons

The company could provide more career advancement type training. I will have to do some of this on my own.

I can see you have lots of jobs posted. These positions are needed and more. Hire good people.