NVIDIA Reviews in Santa Clara, CA

Updated 15 October, 2014
3.8

NVIDIA Co-Founder, President, and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang
Jen-Hsun Huang

Pros
  • Awesome cutting edge technology (in 61 reviews)

• The team I worked for had extremely smart people (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Workloads can be too much for one person which leads to less of a work/life balance (in 84 reviews)

• Overworked; no work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

285 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Positive, learned a lot, met technical people

I worked at NVIDIA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

nice people to work with, had weekly or bi-weekly talk by technical guys who give us general info about the current trend, new ideas, etc. I felt like my mentor really wanted me to learn something and not just get the work done. The work was not hard to get stuck and was not easy to make it bored. It was challenging enough.

Cons

Sometimes you need to get info from people and it is hard to get it since people are busy. documentation can help. Some stuff done by former guys had no documentations.

I am not qualified to give advice to management because of lack of experience. But I would say they should let their employees to take time to work on documentations. Perhaps deadlines and work pressure make that difficult, but that seems important to me.

Nice place to work as intern

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at NVIDIA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people
    Nice pay
    Lots of activities, including a tour to CEO's home.

Cons

The office is poorly decorated

Great company, very smart people

I worked at NVIDIA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The team I worked for had extremely smart people. About half of them had PhD. I was fortunate enough to get a very good manager. The engineers are not just stuck in the engineering bubble, they also care about the finances and how well the company is doing.

Cons

The implicit expectation is to work for long hours and my team would put out a huge number of products, therefore being able to spend less time with each product.

Company in transition

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have bled green - worked for NVIDIA longer than anywhere and I've been around a long time. I've seen it grow from tiny to huge. The growth was phenomenal until 2008 or so.
    There are some great and very smart people here.
    Products are good quality.
    Mistakes are used to learn from.
    There is a very distinct culture here. Work hard and well, work hard. Relatively flat organization.
    Politics exist but I always felt like I could pretty much talk to anyone in the organization at any time to get things done.

Cons

Business-wise - CEO bet the farm and lost (too late) on a lot of recent products. Trying to pick up the pieces now. Problem is, because of the previous success in PC-business, they think they can replicate that success but revenue has been stagnant (+/- within $4B/year) for the last 5 years or so. Gross margins are high - probably because they are so cheap on spending.
    I have had the pleasure of having fantastic bosses for the first phase of my career there and absolutely awful bosses more recently (unfortunately, they think they are good).
    Culture in my group involves yelling occasionally. This was precipitated in the early days by the CEO and seems to be the norm and accepted. On the one hand, when its yelling at the situation I can take it. When its yelling at me for no good reason other than lack of tact, its time to consider my options elsewhere.
    I used to work hard and feel good about it as the stock was going up and it made sense. I could see my impact to the company. I used to pride myself as not being a cog in the machine like at some other companies where you are a nameless engineer just doing your job. I really felt like I made a difference. Unfortunately, this is no longer true for me and I think for a lot of others. People used to stay long and work hard and feel good about it. Now I think there is resentment (for those that work long) and others just pretty much work and go home.

I'd really like to see NVIDIA succeed. I don't think it will fail but I also don't see replication of success from the good old days. It used to be that we'd cut our losses and move on even when 50% through a project. I respect that - it shows balls. But when they continue to bet the farm on technology that is better but more costlier than the competition, well, the revenue isn't there to grow top to bottom like it was in the PC days. Stock price has been stagnant - doesn't that tell you that the market doesn't see growth either?

My guess is - no one has invented the "next big thing" that will keep this company afloat or take it to $10B a year like Jensen predicted (how many years ago?).

A stagnant place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are approachable to get the job done
    Relatively flat organization
    Flexible work environment

Cons

Poor work/life balance mainly because they are universally understaffed. Compensation is not commensurate to the amount of work put in. This has resulted in serious attrition issues across the board.
    Poor benefits and no recreational / team building activities
    Sub-standard working environment that reflects the cheapness, not frugality.
    Decisions are made and changed on the fly. Little organizational learning.
    For all it's bombastic claims, the company is more or less in a rut, as evidenced by it's stagnant revenues and stock price.

Focus on quality execution and not just pull out deadlines from the pocket. Create work environment that motivates people. Have team building activities

A dysfunctional tech company plagued by its own CEO

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good financial compensation.
    Good perks on campus including a well managed cafeteria and daily amenities such as dental care, car repair, bicycle maintenance and haircuts. It's not free but makes it easy to get certain regular tasks done without disrupting your day.
    High stress, fast paced environment will mold you into a rock star at your next company.

Cons

Offices are outdated, employees work on sub-standard computers and almost everything about the company's spending habits indicates that it's not just frugal but cheap.

Departments are universally understaffed and overworked so expect to work overtime. Environment drives away talent and encourages success to leave to find better working conditions.

Executive management is out of touch with reality in general. All employees likely to suffer from direct micro-management by the CEO sooner or later.

Worst part about NVIDIA is that the CEO Jen-Hsun Huang is wildly insecure, a slave to his own volatile emotions and universally abusive of his staff. He is prone to yelling and name calling in meetings and will personally lead witch hunts that are made worse by the universal desire of senior management to distract him from their own political in-fighting. He will publicly demean others and has made it impossible to form a larger, cohesive team within the company.

The internal reputation of Jensen (as he is referred to within the industry) is very poor and while he is well respected for his intellectual capacity he is also feared and loathed for his mean-spirited, personal attacks and for being completely unapproachable.

Plan more, do more market research, expand teams by a modest amount and evaluate employee recognition. Improve communication between departments through team building. Consider letting employees work off-site to avoid direct contact with CEO's toxic behavior.

Good place to work

Current Employee - ASIC Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - ASIC Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lot of things to learn. Since it is a relatively small company, you have a lot more responsibilities.

Cons

Compensation revisions are not great. I think the management has to improve a little bit to retain the talent they have and reward them fairly. I dont think this is happening. Also there are hardly any events for employee satisfaction here.

Have more vent for employee satisfaction and also revise the focal system.

Great Company & Technology

I worked at NVIDIA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Interesting Work (i.e. Cutting edge technology)
    - Abundance of work
    - Fast Paced

Cons

- Depending on your team, maintaining a good work life balance can be hard.

good

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at NVIDIA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good company for ambitious people

Cons

management is not all that great

Smart company with friendly people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have the chance to interact a high-end technology and a group of people with all kinds of creativity. Great company to work with.

Cons

Not very much cons that I can think of.